1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

driving Q65's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by riddler, Jul 30, 2001.

1. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First the setup

pioneer dv636 dvd player
    panasonic 36pfd tv
    sony stdrb940 av amp
    kef Q65 l&r fronts (soon to be partnered with two rel q150's)
    kef q100 center
    mission m7ds rears.

Im happy with the sound in cinema mode
    And im happy with the sound ine cd/stero mode.
    But i cant help thinking i could be louder in stero.I feel distortion is coming on early from the amp , in relation to what the Q65's can manage.
    Id like to ammend this.The two obvious routes are to add a power amp for the Q65.s or get a beefier amp all together.
    Cost is a factor tho.
    If im adding it like to keep cost to £500ish.
    If im replacing the sony i oculd goto £800ish without inflicting any female induced pain.
    So if some of you more experianced people out there can give me some advice and suggestions please do.
    Please include approximate realistic prices for me to ponder over though. :O)
    thanks in advance for any help.
    P.S if the speakers are capping out and not that amp just point that out too :O)

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I would be very surprised if your q65's are distorting. From what I heard of them, they seemed able to go *very* loud without distortion. Having said that, how loud are you running the Sony - Past 12 o'clock? If so then the amp may be being pushed too hard (I seem to remember that the Uni-Q drivers can be tough on amps) and is "clipping". If so then adding a more powerful amp may help. Try to get a home dem first, just in case.

You could add a poweramp like a Rotel 991 (~£550)but if you really like listening to good quality stereo sound, then get a stereo amp. I recently heard a NAD 370 (£450) and was amazed at how good it was - considerably better than the Arcam Diva receiver.

Russell

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Onkyo 787 and Sonus Faber Concerto Home Speakers.
    So I bought a Rotel RB993 (3 x 200) for the front and center speakers and I dont get compressed sound anymore, the receiver also improved cause its load is much lower (I listen above 12 o´clock).
    It is like having opened the courtains between me and the music :eek:

4. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys.
    I dont do 12'oclock because it distorts before number 5 on the dial.
    Taking in some advise and doing a little research myself. Ive come up with the following possible solution.
    Using rotel power amps as these seem to good value.If i bought the Rmb1066 6 channel amp and used it bridged to give me 3x150w at the front,i could add another later along with a 6.1 reciever giving a matched 6.1 system.Also done over time and not costing me wads in one hit.
    Another alternative is maybe the rmb1075 at 120x5. But that doesnt have the possible 6.1 upgrade :O(.
    Also another thing i could consider is replacing the sony with maybe rotels up and coming rsx-1065 av/amp with 120x5.
    If anyone has any more thoughts or idea on these options please help.
    Also would the rotels 3x150 be a big inprovement on the sonys 5x100 ?

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you need to worry with the surround speakers, for what they do, the receiver is more than good enough... just spend your money with amplification for front and center, thats what you listen to mostly, plus the subwoofer...

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I can't comment on the Q65 but I can on it's smaller brother, the Q15. I am a great fan of these speakers but they can be VERY amplifier dependent. This really shows up with valve amps where the diference bewtween PP and SE amps are hugh. I think Miller in HiFi choice might have covered this as well. Basically the KEF are great but need a new amp. Any of the Rotels would be a great solution to you problem.

I expect that this is a common problem but most people don't realise this 'incompatibility'. The Sony isn't the beefiest amp around

What about a 5 + 2 arrangemet that would allow 6.1 / 7.1 upgrade in the future and biamping now? It can be done in two bites of the cherry as well.

PS Try the KEF rears with your system, you might be surprized (and I rate the missions).

8. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much podering the best route for i can see i a mixture of suggestions.<br />Firstly im with lowrider with his high power 3 channel rotel suggestion.This is where i need the extra ummphh as it were.I have noticed the often the biggest differnce between the mid range and high end av recievers is often just power and a bunch of bells and whistles in the form of dsp stuff which i never use anyway.<br />This means i can upgrade the sony at a later date to another mid range which supports the new surround modes and not have to worry too much about its power output. As ill only be using its internal amps for surround.

Nic rhodes If you like the q15's youd love the q65's<br />I used to use a pair of q15's as rears untill 2 weeks ago.They had to be replaced by the mission simply because the sofa im getting is wider (sharing the movie sweet spot with the girfriend was too comfy on the two seater sofa)So i needed something wall mounted.The missions were a huge improvement.

No the only problem i have is finding a rotel RB993, i cant even find it listed on rotels site.<br />Anyone know of any uk suppliers who are reasonable.(i think the retail is £700)

Thanks for eveyones help.

9. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooppss that first line didnt make much sense.<br />try..<br />The best route that i can see for me, i from a mixture of suggestions.

p.s ever noticed how nearly all the av processors are insainly high end ?

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic, I didn´t mean the rear speakers themselves, but their amplification...

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont see a subwoofer on your equipment list, you will be surprised what you have been missing when you get one.<br />I have the REL Strata III...

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

13. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A subs.. i did indeed mention these..kef Q65 l&r fronts (soon to be partnered with two rel q150's)<br /> is what i wrote.<br />I currently have a jamo 410e and find it awful.<br />i got it almost free in a deal when buying the kef's.And was always gonna change it. So a pair of rel q150's is being slung into this mix.<br />Btw i got the q65's for £400 and the q100 center for £200 wich i was pleased with.<br />And i do love the sound of the q65's<br />The music i listen to is mainly hard house trance and other elctro stuff.<br />But my taste is very broad.<br />Again thanks for the help.