Driving myself insane trying to set audio delay for Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dscott21, Feb 8, 2009.

1. dscott21

dscott21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the 'perfect' audio delay settings are to cure the lipsync issues on the new Samsung Sky HD Boxes.

I've been driving myself insane messing around with the audio delay settings on my Onkyo TX-SR875 AV amp, and also the optical delay settings on the Sky box itself. I reach a point when I can't decide if the audio is front or behind (or is it the picture ?!?!)

The Sky HD box is connected directly to the amp via HDMI for video and via optical for the audio, this is then fed to my TV which is Sony KDL-40W2000.

Anyone with a similar setup managed to find the 'perfect' settings?

Does anyone think, that the lipsync issues vary dependant on the channel perhaps?

Thanks.

2. nickymarshall

nickymarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I sometimes can't even tell if it's ahead or behind.

It does vary with channels though, so is nigh on impossible.

It seems though that 60-80ms is about right for the majority.

3. DaveWolf

DaveWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Different setup to yours, but my amp is fed by the optical, but I have a scart from SkyHD to the TV as well (non HD TV! - the amp feeds the HD PJ ;-) )....

So if I have the sound on both the TV and the amp, then I can adjust the SHyHD delay (or the delay on the amp) so that there is no "echo".

I find this much easier than trying to sync the sound with the pictures (even with a clapperboard type testcard)

4. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    There is no "perfect" setting that suits all, because every display and receiver has a different latency, so unless you find someone with exactly the same set-up, the values will always be different.

Do as Dave suggests. Turn up the volume on the TV and listen to the sound via HDMI. Then turn up your receiver and adjust its delay until there is no audible echo - if your time alignment is correct the sound should take on an "in your head" type quality.

You then know that the receiver's audio is in sync with the display's.

Unfortunately, there is no way to counter for the lip sync errors from the Sky box, because the amount of delay varies according to channel and broadcast, plus there isn't a reference point to know when one show is correct or not. Try using the BBC's sync test as a benchmark, it's as good a point as any.

Incidentally, write down the TV/receiver setting, then if you do tinker it can easily be returned to its correct value.