Driving Lessons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 7ewis, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 7ewis

7ewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just has my first driving lesson today! Wasn't expecting it, was at my grandparents house and someone knocked asking for me! I was so shocked and worried because I wasn't expecting it and wanted to ask my dad loads of questions before! :p

So anyway, I had a 2 hour lesson and it went well! I wasn't even expecting to drive on my first lesson! But I needed up going around multiple roundabouts, and even went 60mph on a dual carriage way! I really wasn't expecting to progress so quickly! He went through all the basics with me too, like how to adjust seat, where to have the mirrors, how to use the wipers etc..

How many lessons would you say it takes on average before you can pass your test, and drive properly?

I don't know any theory yet, but he gave me a pack which I am going to read through.

Any good tips would be appreciated for my next lesson or the theory :)

2. gary99129

gary99129

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've no idea what the average is, it took me 34 lessons (1 per week) but I pick things up quickly, my wife has had more lessons than I care to remember and still hasn't passed her test. I'm sure I remember my driving instructor telling me that anybody who claims to have passed their test with less than 30 lessons and isn't practicing elsewhere is lying.

Make sure you budget for lessons, as you could be at it for quite some time but don't worry if you are, driving is like learning to walk, it comes with practice and we all learn how to do it at different speeds.

As for driving properly, there is an old saying 'You've passed your test, now go and learn to drive', never was a truer word spoken. It takes several years of driving every day to become a good driver and there are plenty of people who've been driving for years who are terrible drivers.

Good Luck.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    If I am remembering correctly I was told by my instructor the average is about 45 hours.

Best bit of advice. Get your name down as a second user on your parents insurance. Get some L Plates and drive as much as you possibly can.

For the theory test this is the book I would recommend to revise for it. Its old but a definite goodie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Tes...51/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1348702153&sr=8-23

For me I took my first lesson in January. Did two x 2hr lessons per week till about April. Then after this one 2hr per week since then and I passed last week of June first time.

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I kept a log of all my pupils and over the yrs the average number of lessons afore passing was 42 hrs , so some less some more .
    Best I had was brother and sister 22/23 hrs from scratch but doing 3/4 hrs private with dad per week , budget up to £1000 for lessons/learning aids/theory & practical tests .
    Do Pass Plus/Motorway training when you pass .

Good luck

Julian

5. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    I had 26 hours but passed second time. It does vary a bit really, but I did do Pass Plus after, which was handy for insurance purposes.

After 26 hours, my dad made fun of me for taking too long ( it was making me skint! ) and always thought 26 hours was long!

6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,233
    Passed first time at 21 (birthday pressie was a dozen lessons) and had 21 lessons. Was a while back though.....

7. s_d_grif

s_d_grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm sure I was in the 30s in terms of lessons (I picked it up quickly and passed first time. I was delayed a few weeks waiting for a slot at the test centre).

As everyone has said practice makes perfect...

Also, another vote here for Pass Plus once you do pass. I think it should be made compulsory!

8. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    There are worrying statistics being thrown around that suggest more lessons are being taken by pupils before their examiners put them forward for their test.
    The intimation obviously being that some schools are milking their clients in these barren times.:(
    When I passed my test, it only took me a few months and around 13 lessons.
    And that was mirrored by my friends.
    Although the roads are busier now, driving is still inherently the same and busier roads don't account for people needing 30+ lessons.
    If you took 30+ lessons when I passed, you were crap, not average, or a 'quick learner' as is being suggested by some on here.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  9. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
  10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,205
    My Dad is a retired driving instructor, and he used to teach people for 10 lessons and then put them through for their test. Assuming the pupils were of average intelligence. His pass rate was very high, over 95%.

My Dad didn't teach me to drive, but i passed within having 15 lessons. Having 30-45 hrs of lessons seems crazy to me :eek:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,507
    I think I took 18 lessons and I felt that was too many. I felt that the last few were pointless and the instructor was just milking £ out of me. I passed first time. I was talking to a mate of mine the other day who has never driven and he is about to start an intensive course and think he said he had paid up front for 30 + lessons! I told him that I thought that was over the top going by my experience and that of my mates who passed their test around the same time.

12. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Same here, I was itching to do my test after 10 lessons.

I had about 14-15 lessons and then sat my test, failed, sat another one four days later, passed, then emigrated the following day. That was a busy week.

13. s_d_grif

s_d_grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Also depends if you mean lessons or hours btw. I had 45 minute lessons...

14. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,305
    I think i had around 8 lessons then had my test and passed. 2 of these were double lessions at 90 mins long.

15. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Depends how confident you are my friend had 4 lessons and went out with his dad and passed within a month. Personally it took me 3 months of lessons probably about 20 hours. I did pass plus but mostly because of inaurance i didnt find it particularly useful. Be confodent but not cocky.

Theory is easy just talk through with the instructor while driving and get one of the test cds/apps they ask you out of a set number of questions so just do them all (was about 105 iirc) and you'll be fine. Hazard perception is easy too just try not to click too much, I didn't think it was a particularly useful part of the test. Might have changed but I don't think so particularly.

I think the people who get flustered (like my sister) take longer. I also did roundabouts and 60 on my first lesson and if you coped ok then you should be reasonably confident.

16. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    Back when I learnt to drive (about 20 years ago) think I had roughly 12 lessons then took my test. I failed on a small error and then had another 2 lessons, took the test again and passed.

No way you need 25-30+ lessons, that's a lot! Maybe it's because back when I was learning getting insured on my Mums car (2l Injected Honda Accord) didn't cost much so I was able to practice a fair bit whereas now I presume most kids can't get insured to practice on their parents cars....

17. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,921
    I learnt almost 30 years ago, I don't remember how many lessons I actually took, but I started in April and passed my test first time early July, so I'd imagine it was around 15 or something, but my dad used to take me out at weekends too.

18. wilbanat

wilbanat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,542
    Takes as long as it takes but if you feel ready for your test make sure your instructor doesn't keep getting you to do the same things all the time when you know you can do them..
    And what someone else said get your license and go out and learn to drive, passing your test is just the start mate. Good luck

19. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,178
    Really don't reacall now - think it would have been about 15. Started with one-hour lessons, but for the second half it went up to 1 1/2 hours so we could drive to an actual town with traffic lights and roundabouts :)

Passed first time.

20. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I think if i needed more than 20 lessons i'd decide it wasn't really for me...

can't believe some people are suggesting over 40....

21. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,178
    really? didn't have you down as a quitter ;)

22. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I only passed my test a couple of months ago now. I'm 40 and yes i came to driving a bit late life :)

I took around 40 hours lessons (with my ADI) and a couple of hour private tuition (with the wife) and passed first time with 6 minors..

23. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    20 hours, seems very little mate ..

24. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think I had about 25 lessons in the end and passed on the 4th attempt :eek:, but only because I had idiot examiners. That's not just me saying that - on the 4th attempt (which was by far my worst, in fact I reckon I got worse each time because of frustration!), I had my instructor with me and he said on the way home that he was surprised the examiner passed me.

Paid £17 a lesson back in 1999-2000, so £425, plus the cost of each exam.

25. Lurking Lawyer

Lurking Lawyer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,990
    There does seem to be a trend here - those of us who learned 20-25 years ago or longer had fewer lessons.

I passed my test at the second try in 1990, just before I turned 18. I forget exactly how many lessons I had but would guess it was perhaps 12-15.

There is no way (at least IMO) the average person need 30-40 hours to be ready.

Put it into context - I was lucky enough to be sponsored by the RAF to learn to fly (oddly enough, before I learned to drive!) and you only needed a minimum of 40 hours to take your private pilot licence test. The first solo flight is generally around 8-10 hours and a good chunk of those 40 hours is practice in readiness for the Navigation and General Flying Tests.

26. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    :confused:

27. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Equally I cannot believe people are suggesting they had 10hrs worth of driving and did their test and passed.

I drove a heck of a lot and took my test passed first time and only 2 minors and there are still so many things I am quite non-confident and nervous with regards to driving.

I did the pass plus too - waste of time no insurance company recognises it.

Anyone after a few lessons can get in a car and press the clutch and then accelerator down and away they go. But its knowing what to do on all those different roads is another story.

28. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Lurkinglawyer I did mine in 2007 and had around 20 hrs

But if you were a nervous driver then I'd say you need more lessons, that's certainly the case with people I know. The more confident people took way less.

One girl I know was so nervous she had 6 hours on the bsm simulator before she even got in the car, then had about 40 hours. Others like me did 3 lane roundabouts (admittedly I was only going to the first exit) and dual carriageways on their first lesson.

The only place I don't like driving is London. So many one way streets and you never go in a straight line to get somewhere always going around various blocks or one way systems. That said I don't mind the driving its more the directions.

29. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,178
    i.e. giving up after not getting it after 20 lessons.

30. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Precisely.
    And, apart from the volume of traffic, I can't think of a single driving-related thing that has changed in that time (I passed in 1984).
    This is why there is concern that people are being ripped off.
    Milking the ones that do want to learn to drive, to compensate for the increasing numbers of ones that don't.