Driving holiday - where to stop?

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by sergiup, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    We're off for a long drive from London to Romania, I'm looking for any kind suggestions of where to stop for a day and enjoy a city/town/etc. We've planned the way out (stop in the north of France to see my parents, stop in Prague for a day, stop in west Romania for a day and then onward to our final destination where we'll be for a week or so, but the way back is pretty much open.

I was thinking Vienna for a day, and I was thinking of then dropping down into the north of Italy or Switzerland for a day; we could add another day somewhere on the way, depending on the appeal. So I guess, let the contest begin! :D

Any suggestions appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Do you have a Google map of your route to show us? Loads of nice places to stop in Germany, I recommend driving straight through Belgium though!

Salzburg is my favourite city in Austria, but Vienna has a lot going on. If you do go to Salzburg, you can branch off shortly after Frankfurt and head towards Munich (Munchen) which is one of my favourite German cities and head for the Austrian border that way.

We stopped in Geneva on a recent trip through France and found it completely uninspiring and expensive thanks to the road tolls. I actually think the German side of Switzerland would be nicer but you mention Northern Italy and that would be perfect after Salzburg. Head south on the A10 to Villach, a beautiful small Austrian city in the Alps and cross the border there.

Speaking of which I recommend minimising driving in France to avoid road tolls, then you can get all the way to Austria before having to buy a Vignette which costs maybe 12euros for 10 days. This route maximises driving in Germany where much of the motorway has no speed limit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Thanks! We don't really have a set route, it'll be down to me to decide which way to go, and aside from some prior knowledge (I've driven to and from a few times before) I'll mostly make it up as we go, with some set stays which is what I'm figuring out now.

Salzburg and Munich actually sound like very good suggestions, same for Villach (I hadn't thought of this one before at all).

I'm fully aware of the French tolls and all the other Vignettes for various countries, so that's all fine. Equally, I'm well aware that there isn't much to see in Belgium (I've tried - my parents live literally 15 minutes from the Fr-Be border), nor is it a good idea to stop in Hungary (aside from larger petrol stations), etc - I've done this trip before, but it's always been pretty much as straight as possible with one overnight stop just to sleep (via Budapest - Vienna (sleep) - Munich - Karlsruhe - Luxembourg - Belgium - Lille, that seems to be the fastest route so far while avoiding the French tolls).

Thank you for the suggestions, they look just right. We might end up doing another trip some other time just to include the South of France, Northern Italy and some Austrian/Italian Alps territory. It's funny how there is so much to see in Europe, but most people will just skip it and feel the need to go much further - I could spend a good 1-2 months just driving around Western/Central Europe and not really get bored at all. :thumbsup:

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,463
  5. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    What car are you driving? Are you 'into' driving?

If it's something nice and you like your driving, check out the evo magazine website as they may well have some advice on good roads to drive ;)

Will you be driving that road that Top Gear drove in Romania? :D

6. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Sorry didn't really know how much experience you had of it, sounds like you know what you're doing! Germany is a country I want to see more of, but it's a place I'm normally only driving at high speed through on my way to Austria, a country which I really love.

7. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Yeah, well... for various reasons, although I do like cars "and all that jazz" and I would absolutely love an Aston Martin some day, I don't have or plan to have a sports-car of any sort too soon - chief among those reasons being that I prefer comfort more than a bit of "grr!" and I can't afford two cars. The car is just a '59 reg C5 - comfortable distance cruiser with space for a load of stuff - I'll either take that, or swap it for my parents' Tiguan for the journey, just because that one's an automatic and it's LHD. Overtaking in Romania is exciting enough already without the added lack of seeing properly ahead of the car in front, although I've done the RHD-car trick there before and it was mostly absolutely fine.

But yeah, we're definitely going on the Transfagarasan as well, I really enjoy that road regardless of the car. :D I still expect the other half to be a little terrified no matter how domesticated my driving might be...

No worries, the "places to see" advice is what I'm lacking, it's always been just a throughfare for me so far... :thumbsup: