Question Driving External Speaker Using a Sonos Play 1

KradWEB4

I have a broken Sonos Play 1, mid-range speaker sounds knackered. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the speaker apart and connect the wires that normally go to the internal speakers to an external one. I have a ceiling speaker that used to be driven by an Airport Express that I was thinking of using like this. Anyone ever done this or know of a reason why it can't be done? All opinions gratefully received.

xmb

The simple answer is no.

Take a look at the guide Sonos Play 1 and you will see the midrange driver and twitter are driven separately by the amplifier board so there is no single speaker output.

I would contact the retailer that sold you the unit to ask for a repair or try contacting Sonos directly.

Up a ladder

I know its an old thread but I just did exactly this, one of my play 1s killed its midbass so it sounded all farty. Sonos didn't want to know so I disassembled it and extended the midbass and tweeter wiring outside the case. The built in speakers are 4 ohm so I wired 2 8 ohm ceiling speakers in parallell in a bi-amp. I used audac cs85 sbeakers, and I disconnected the tweeter wires from the midbass terminals and removed the capacitors to allow the speakers to work in the active crossover bi-amp config.
My bathroom sounds tremendous now, albeit in mono but for that application I'll forgive it that, it certainly drowns out splashdown and still sounds good over the noise of the shower. Bass is quite impressive with the 2 8 inch drivers compared to 1 3.5 inch one, i have had to turn down the bass on the eq.

neilball

It’s good to hear that you managed to get it working well enough to make it worthwhile modifying the Play:1.

Did Sonos not offer you a subsidised “out of warranty” repair as an option? It’s usually way below the cost of a new replacement.

Up a ladder

They offered to exchange it for a refurb, but the money they were asking didn't appeal to me, as this seems to be a common issue with the play:1 and one, i have little faith in a refurb when the refurb price wasn't far off the trade price of a new unit. Out of all the sonos products I supply and fit these are the only product that fails regularly without outside factors.

KradWEB4

I know its an old thread but I just did exactly this, one of my play 1s killed its midbass so it sounded all farty. Sonos didn't want to know so I disassembled it and extended the midbass and tweeter wiring outside the case. The built in speakers are 4 ohm so I wired 2 8 ohm ceiling speakers in parallell in a bi-amp. I used audac cs85 sbeakers, and I disconnected the tweeter wires from the midbass terminals and removed the capacitors to allow the speakers to work in the active crossover bi-amp config.
My bathroom sounds tremendous now, albeit in mono but for that application I'll forgive it that, it certainly drowns out splashdown and still sounds good over the noise of the shower. Bass is quite impressive with the 2 8 inch drivers compared to 1 3.5 inch one, i have had to turn down the bass on the eq.
I have returned to this project and successfully got audio from an old speaker attached to the Sonos 1 output. However depending on which pair of wires I use I either only get treble audio or bass audio. I have a speaker in place in my bathroom ceiling (photo attached) could I wire this correctly so that I get decent sound from it via the Sonos? It has a bass driver and two treble units to create a kind of fake stereo.

Attachments

xmb

Please remember, if you modify equipment you will have invalidated the product conformity (CE mark). Should the unit cause a fire and burn your house down your home insurance may be invalid.

In any case for safety you should confirm the touch leakage current (e.g. speaker wires) is not excessive (less than 0.1 mA).

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom