Driving an agricultural tractor on British roads?

mcfarfs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi, my cousin works on a local farm, and has just had his 16th birthday.

He says that he can drive a tractor on the roads now, as long as he has L plates.

Does anyone know if it is necessary for him to do a test of any sort first? It seems ridiculous to me if he is legally allowed on the road, in such a huge vehicle, without any test of his knowledge of the highway code, how to negotiate roundabouts etc.

Cheers.

I'm not 100% but I think that he's wrong.

I think that he is allowed to drive on privte property/roads with the land owners consent, but not on the Public Highway.

As soon as the vehicle goes onto the P/H then he will be driving illegally and up for a driving ban(unable to get a provisional licence for up to 3 years) as well as a (potentially heavy) fine and other things including twocing, driving without insurance, drivingwithout a valid MOT.

If you are 16 and learning to drive a tractor, you are allowed to drive on the road only when you are going to or from a driving test.

Also if you are 16 & driving a tractor it must be less than 2.45m wide. It must only pull trailers less than 2.45m wide with two wheels, or four close coupled.

You have to 17 to drive larger tractors than that.

This should be in the motoring section really.

I have a mate who lives in deepest Suffolk who tells me that several of his buddies use their tractors in the evening to go to the pub.

Apparently you are extremely unlikely to be breathalysed on your way home driving a tractor.....

:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom