Driving after a stroke

Berties

Ex Member
Reaction score
Someone I know is still driving after having a stroke. What are the legal ramifications of this? I thought you had to inform DVLA after having a stroke? And your driving license is automatically revoked?

From the sounds of it she can't even stand up, or walk. And her vision is impaired. Yet she's still driving :-/

From the sounds of it she can't even stand up, or walk. And her vision is impaired. Yet she's still driving :-/

I'm surprised it's actually possible for her to drive if these are continuing symptoms.

Berties says it "sounds like" she can't stand or walk or see properly, from which it sounds like he hasn't seen her himself.

Edit:You don't have to tell DVLA, so long as your symptoms clear up within a month and even if they don't they don't automatically revoke your licence:

directgov said:
You do not need to tell us about a TIA
You do if you continue to have symptoms after a month, you have had more than one in 3 months, required brain surgery or your doctor tells you to contact DVLA because they are concerned it will affect your driving.

directgov said:
Disability of your arms or legs after a stroke may
not prevent you from driving. You may be able
to overcome driving difficulties by driving an
automatic vehicle or one with a hand-operated
accelerator and brake.

If her symptoms don't go away, then she has to fill in a questionaire and send it to DVLA, from which they will decide what course of action to take.

Last edited:
My friend had a stroke a few years ago. Her speech was badly affected but movement not so. Although she informed the DVLA her doctor passed her fit to drive. But her confidence took a hell of a knock and although she's had a couple of goes in a car she is far too worried to drive and now no longer bothers. Which, in my mind, is the right decision.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom