Question Driving 4 ohm speakers

It’s a really nice thing with lovey metal heat sinks either side. I’m trialling a smart plug so I can easily switch it on a bit earlier. So far as Mrs is here it’s lowish volume but my impression is of much better overall at these volumes. Not sure how that would work but I’ll take it.

First hard run impression is that those reviews either had a bad sample or some other problem. Playing The Darkness latest album at 95db its full, in control, with a LOT of oomph! Very pleased with that together with the lower level listen. I didn’t describe that well before. Lower volumes before I haven’t enjoyed as it sounded like there was too much missing to be enjoyable. Not now.

First hard run impression is that those reviews either had a bad sample or some other problem. Playing The Darkness latest album at 95db its full, in control, with a LOT of oomph! Very pleased with that together with the lower level listen. I didn’t describe that well before. Lower volumes before I haven’t enjoyed as it sounded like there was too much missing to be enjoyable. Not now.
It probably helps that you have the passive preamp so aren't introducing anything into the poweramp where that is concerned.. thats one of the bonuses of them :)

Glad its working though and pleased your're happy!

Just need to try that James Blake - Limit to your love .... again and see how well your house holds up hehehee

Well that worked better than ever. Sure could go lower with a bigger sub driver but other than that very happy.
Now you know why i suggested that track! .. that will reveal just how well the amp and speakers talk to each other.. where any resonance is.. where any distortion is.. and allows you to spot any weaknesses ..

The sub comes later.. BK or a decent older REL .. something like what i have with the Strata 3 would be perfect.. but you do need a Music sub .. not an AV / HT (home theatre) type..

For a good extended listen.. i would check out Alan Taylor on Spotify

you can then sit back and just enjoy the AT/Dyn's at their best .. Alan is almost like listening to Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits..

It’s an easy excellent test track from top to bottom with lots of intricacy in between.
Given it cost me all of £70 delivered I’m very impressed with this little sub. It’s a Speakercraft dual 6 so I don’t expect anything incredible but it does bolster the bottom well and integrates well. Yeah I’m not sure what the next step would be. I suspect something like a Gemini 2 wouldn’t be a huge jump so probably not worth it. Maybe an XLS200 or 400 preferably forward firing. I’d like a REL more but that’s a lot of money for me to get to a T5.
I’ll take a listen to him. Currently making my way through the set of Queen studio cds from Music Magpie.

087839A2-BC71-424F-892B-E3914B021C2E.jpeg

It’s an easy excellent test track from top to bottom with lots of intricacy in between.
Given it cost me all of £70 delivered I’m very impressed with this little sub. It’s a Speakercraft dual 6 so I don’t expect anything incredible but it does bolster the bottom well and integrates well. Yeah I’m not sure what the next step would be. I suspect something like a Gemini 2 wouldn’t be a huge jump so probably not worth it. Maybe an XLS200 or 400 preferably forward firing. I’d like a REL more but that’s a lot of money for me to get to a T5.
I’ll take a listen to him. Currently making my way through the set of Queen studio cds from Music Magpie.

View attachment 1410870
oh nice.. Queen is a very good listen.

The older rel's are reasonable with their prices on fleabay these days..

Take my Strata 3 for example.. they have one there currently for £280

REL Strata III Powered Subwoofer, inc all cables, Black Finish, Tested & Working | eBay

Which is around what a BK can be got new these days lol....

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Once we're talking that kind of money for what can easily be 15-20 years old I doubt I'd bite. From what I can read sealed is generally a better music bet? Can't really find a consensus on down or forward firing though.

Once we're talking that kind of money for what can easily be 15-20 years old I doubt I'd bite. From what I can read sealed is generally a better music bet? Can't really find a consensus on down or forward firing though.
Rel's really hold their price well.. especially the older ones as they were proper rel's back then.. non of this modern shit thats coming out of their stall now they've shipped abroad to be made etc..

Sealed cabinets are really tight bass.. no "chuff" and really slam too... they dont dig quite as deep as a port but i can live with that..

I prefer the down fire as opposed to front fire to be honest .. it gives me a bit more oompf as the driver is firing into the floor.. as opposed to into a wide open room. The downside there... if you are on a first floor or suspended floor.. the "boom" underneath lol

Definately a bit more tricky to set up than a front fire but the effects are alot better if you get it right.

The main reason i like the older REL is that you can physically switch the exact frequency range on the speakers you want via the coarse and fine selectors as opposed to turning a single dial and guessing if the frequency is correct.. This is why the older REL commands the price it does

rel.JPG

Cheers, next on the list ;)
The other things to note with that Strata 3.. is yes it is ONLY a 100w mosfet there... and a monster cabinet that weighs a ton lol..
Secondly.. it surprisingly doesnt dig that low.. i think it bottoms out , usable frequency, at around 35hz .. something the more modern subs can easily get lower than..
It's not a very fast sub due to the older nature of it but if you have the patience and time to work with the settings and placements you should get a nice useful bottom end boost to the dyns. I would strongly recommend you put it on a solid plinth like a paving slab etc to remove it from the floor...
And if you can.. try and get a test run with it before commiting .. although granted used.. this can be a problem.

It works well with my dm2/6 which replaced the audience 42.. and my roksan and i typically have mine set to C2 .. which is 49hz but i am on a first floor wood floor and cant have it set too high volume wise due to the boom underneath for the neighbour.. but in saying that .. i can use it still without annoying the neighbour to just infill the lower end without the volume there

Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bit of slate to go with the BIG slab of wood that's arriving later.
Hope its given you an insight to the older REL at least.. if you want fast tight and modern.. then go with a more modern BK or something...
If you want a more classic slower sounding sub that slams the floor and needs head scratching and patience to dial in .. then the older REL's are perfect! or something like a pair of MJ Pro 50's for example....

Older rels didn't have much power, didn't go low, not that loud, also leaky crossovers.

I prefer sealed box, but something like bk xl200/400 will be plenty for music, sweet sub low in volume and low crossover I say 40-60hz.

Ideally want to run bass management on speakers I have used outlaw ICBM-1.

I run my mains full range in hifi with sub, and filtered on av mode.

Bk will probably be first try as much more affordable. Don’t think I’d need anything else? Quite happy setting up by ear and won’t be in an av setup.

You don't need to go stupid for a music sub. A good 10" sealed box etc.

Sbu16 is overkill unless used for HT as well.

Hope its given you an insight to the older REL at least.. if you want fast tight and modern.. then go with a more modern BK or something...
If you want a more classic slower sounding sub that slams the floor and needs head scratching and patience to dial in .. then the older REL's are perfect! or something like a pair of MJ Pro 50's for example....

Thanks will consider used as normal but the age of Rels concerns me for reasons outlined by @rccarguy re electronics.

High pass is a useful feature but ideally want it to be line level between pre and power like outlaw icbm-1. Svs sbu have low level high pass, and variable slope and filter setting..

Some subs offerr high level ie svs sb12+

Thanks will consider used as normal but the age of Rels concerns me for reasons outlined by @rccarguy re electronics.
I have been very lucky with my REL .. i have dismantled mine and maintained it and for me.. my crossovers have been okay but then i knew where my sub came from and the owner.. same with my dm2/6's
I've just tried to give as honest a feedback as i can with the pro/cons :)

I have been very lucky with my REL .. i have dismantled mine and maintained it and for me.. my crossovers have been okay but then i knew where my sub came from and the owner.. same with my dm2/6's
I've just tried to give as honest a feedback as i can with the pro/cons :)

I’d be happy to do that too. At the right price ;). It’s appreciated.

Direct LF to sub, so amp gets above sub freuency prior to amplification
I had analogue pre going into outlaw ICBM, then into power amps. Then onto second power amo. With the sub out to subwoofers.

So amp/ speakers amps got 60hz and up, sub 60hz and lower.

Direct LF to sub, so amp gets above sub freuency prior to amplification
I had analogue pre going into outlaw ICBM, then into power amps. Then onto second power amo. With the sub out to subwoofers.

So amp/ speakers amps got 60hz and up, sub 60hz and lower.

Ah ok just looked it up. Wouldn't add that or similar in the signal path, thanks though :)

It's good if you have standpoints ina pure 2ch hifi. And or a weedy amp.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom