Question Driving 4 ohm speakers

Ah ok, no not my kind of fun! Thinking of the disco route again, any opinion on Behringer A800?
from my reply on page 1..

The A800 is a nice amp but there are several issues to note..

1. it is pretty flat response to about 15khz.. then there is a pronounce lift and gain in the tope end of the treble.. this is a bright top end amp
2. Its noisy with distortion running around 66db.. this should be down at the mid to high 70's ideally...
3. Works best off a balanced input which not alot of amps give on their output.. it's ok with a normal input but balanced is better...
4.. Best used with the Neutik speaker connectors as opposed to the bare wire terminals..
5.. Hard to get a -3db peak input signal into it (0db is nominal.. anything higher is distortion being fed in)

but at £190 .... you can't really expect much at this price...

its an okay poweramp and worth a listen for sure... but make sure it is trialled

Otherwise.. lookout for a Rega Maia or Audiolab 8000P .. both good stereo poweramps

Some good looking potential bargains on ebay at the moment. Such as this one..

Couple of decent looking Rotels too which I’m sure would do a sterling job and will probably go for peanuts.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Some good looking potential bargains on ebay at the moment. Such as this one..

Couple of decent looking Rotels too which I’m sure would do a sterling job and will probably go for peanuts.

8000P’s are bidding well at the moment and I’m watching a few Rotels. Unfortunately nothings going very cheap at the moment. I like the theory of lots of these but so many are old enough I worry about the need to recap. Grrrrrr lol.

I've been using audiolab 8000px with my Kef reference for a while, works fine.

Anyone comment on quality control of Audiolab since they relaunched? Feels like I read too many bad experiences.

Anyone comment on quality control of Audiolab since they relaunched? Feels like I read too many bad experiences.

Build quality is down on old audiolab and tag of old. Switches and knobs feel cheap.

I have a pre tag audiolab 8000q/pc system, I bought a new 8000q and not like the old one

Kevin green doesn't like the new audiolabs.

Any thoughts on this?

Power amp
2 big ass toroidals inside for plenty of juice at 2 x 300VA .. thats good current there.. and overall they dont sound too bad at low to mid volume..

That's where the good news ends... when pushed.. they get ragged and become quite painful to listen too as that nice balanced sound just leaves town and goes on vacation ...

2 big ass toroidals inside for plenty of juice at 2 x 300VA .. thats good current there.. and overall they dont sound too bad at low to mid volume..

That's where the good news ends... when pushed.. they get ragged and become quite painful to listen too as that nice balanced sound just leaves town and goes on vacation ...

Lol so leads you on then dumps you! You get to hear a lot of kit. Thanks.

Lol so leads you on then dumps you! You get to hear a lot of kit. Thanks.
There is this vintage power amp.. all the current in the world.. very deep bassy sound.. typical harmon ...
almost like listening to a valve amp. My only criticism on harmon is that their mid top is not on par with their bass

HARMAN KARDON PA2400 signature power amp 2 x 120 watts, | eBay

manual for it is here

mechanically.. they are sound.. but... you have to be careful as some of the capacitors are documented as oozing with age leading to problems fixing and reliabilty

I've read good things about the HK's, particularly the Signature's. Fails WAF, would need to find a way of hiding!
failing that.. you're into the 450-500 mark with something like the Rothwell Reflections Monos... 80w/8ohm but solid monos and really really nice sounding

Rothwell Reflection mono blocks

They were typcially in at the £1750 mark when new

So against advice but reading owner's views rather than reviews (cos they suited more :D) I bought the Astin Trew. Don't know why but it spoke to me when others didn't. It's in the post.

So against advice but reading owner's views rather than reviews (cos they suited more :D) I bought the Astin Trew. Don't know why but it spoke to me when others didn't. It's in the post.
Well.. let us know how it goes and hope you did get the return option just incase..

BE aware these are a HYBRID so will have a pair of valves inside.. something to be careful with with warmup times and driving.. I think.. the valves on the AT are on the psu side though ...
Also valves have a shelf life after which they need to be biased if not already in an autobias circuit and sourcing replacements can be hard.

On a positive note.. the AT's have been documented with the big Dynaudio Contour 1.8 floorstanders in the past .. so they are up to the task.. if not at big volume due to that lower end 100W at 4ohm

Well.. let us know how it goes and hope you did get the return option just incase..

BE aware these are a HYBRID so will have a pair of valves inside.. something to be careful with with warmup times and driving... hence my remarks with the amp losing its composure at the higher end.. something valves are notorious for..
Also valves have a shelf life after which they need to be biased if not already in an autobias circuit and sourcing replacements can be hard

I think it’s only slightly more of a risk than usual and I do like something a bit more unusual. And it got WAF lol.

I think it’s only slightly more of a risk than usual and I do like something a bit more unusual. And it got WAF lol.
WAF is everything! remember that lol.. i did edit my reply to correct a few things so do double check

36B5384B-FE2C-46B8-BA12-0323814F09E2.jpeg

Well DPD having taken it on a bit of holiday the power amp is finally here. Good initial impressions. Proper opinion to follow. Very nicely made bit of kit. Proper job.

View attachment 1410272

Well DPD having taken it on a bit of holiday the power amp is finally here. Good initial impressions. Proper opinion to follow. Very nicely made bit of kit. Proper job.
Looks nice... you'll be best to leave the power amp on for a good hour or so to let it warm up before you do any listening due to the hybrid side.. it does need a bit of on time first.

Yeah let us know how it sings.. and if that hardness does appear at the higher north volumes.. it may not be so bad with your setup with that passive pre... but it is known and documented as i mentioned on my previous comment on the AT :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom