Driver search

bmccord

Standard Member
hey all, working on yet another DIY sub for a friend and trying to make sure I have looked into every decent driver. Project rundown, 3.5 ft^3 ported box, 12" driver, high excursion, high SPL, mainly HT use so it needs to be able to hit in the upper teens with some authority. He was just going to 12" Dayton Titanic but I got him to look into $200-350 drivers. I looked at the Ascendant, Adire, etc but can anyone think of any drivers that can basically take a beating at -10 to 0 dB movie playback levels of low bass in that price range. It will be powered by the 500w or 1000w PE plate amp depending on driver needs. Thanks in advance.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I know very little, but how about 2x Peerless XLS-12 drivers. Regardless, you may be better of posting in the DIY forum.

Russell

bmccord

Standard Member
Thanks, I posted it in there. I added this as well;

Also, I am looking for a nice looking, preferably metal, 2.5-3" spike/leg for the subwoofer because I am looking into a down firing sub w/o a base plate.

Thanks, admin, feel free to delete this post because the same thing is now in DIY, sorry for the mixup

stevefish69

There may be some old SVS 12.1 or 12.2 drivers up for grabs where people have upgraded. These would give most things a run for the money. I presume that you are in the US so you may find these a little easier than over in the UK

You can't have mine though, as it is already wired up in my car boot :D

bmccord

Standard Member
Sorry all, I finally updated my sig. :hiya:

bmccord

Standard Member
tahirti3 said:
tcsounds are reputedly top notch

I looked at the TC-1000,2000 and 3000 but they all seemed to model funny trying to get them tuned to the upper teens. I gather they require many filters to achieve a flat response down to 18-20 Hz. Other than that, they look amazing. Can anyone fill me in on how to get a, say, TC-2000 12" SVC nice and flat with minimal headache in about a 3-4 ft^3 enclosure? I am getting a rather nasty spike on the low end and I really don't know much about the whole likwitzamacallit deally:( . Thanks

stevefish69

bmccord said:
Can anyone fill me in on how to get a, say, TC-2000 12" SVC nice and flat with minimal headache in about a 3-4 ft^3 enclosure

Buy a SVS PB12-Ultra/2 :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom