Driver faces trial for blowing nose

Fatti

Novice Member
When I'm driving along and a sneeze is brewing, I always whip out a tissue or a hanky to catch the impending aftermath.....does this mean I should pull over on the motorway before I sneeze and blow my nose? I'm definately not in full control when I sneeze as my eyes are shut :eek:

Dave

Distinguished Member
He accepted a fixed penalty ticket at the roadside, he didn't have to.

He could have simply not accepted the ticket and gone straight to being summonsed to court if he felt so affronted at it so why accept the ticket.

I'm sure there's more to this story than the motorist is letting on, believe it or not coppers have much better things to do than dish out fixed penalty tickets to drivers blowing their nose.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
The driver said he had his hand brake on, was it? was the vehicle still in gear? did he have his foot on the foot brake?
Was he wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area in the hours of darkness? :D

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
I'm sure there's more to this story than the motorist is letting on, believe it or not coppers have much better things to do than dish out fixed penalty tickets to drivers blowing their nose.
What are you suggesting he was doing with a wad of tissues in his hand then? :eek::D

I'd ask.. what would happen if I pass wind at 70mph on the motorway, but I don't want to cause a stink! :D

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
You might laugh but I've actually dealt with someone for something similar. :eek: :rotfl:
I'm not sure it's wise to admit to that on open forum. :facepalm::eek::laugh:

kBm

Distinguished Member
This sounds a bit more interesting;

In June last year, Stewart Smith was issued with a fixed penalty notice by the same police officer when he dropped a £10 note in the street.
The officer believed the Dalrymple man was littering. But Stewart said he simply missed his back pocket and dropped it by accident.
Linky

also...

The cop who handed out the ticket was PC Stuart Gray - dubbed PC Shiny Buttons for his zealous approach to the job.He was exposed last year after he issued a £50 fixed penalty to a man who accidentally dropped a £10 note in the street.

I hope it gets thrown out of court.

What are you suggesting he was doing with a wad of tissues in his hand then? :eek::D
You might laugh but I've actually dealt with someone for something similar. :eek: :rotfl:
A man in OZ crashed his car whilst pleasuring himself on a long journey....:D

lead

Novice Member
Do the Police advise people of their rights to not accept penalties? (Although I would have thought not paying it would classify as not accepting it.) Would a person with no history of dealing with the Police have the courage to say no to a Police Officer at the scene of an alleged crime and tell them they want to go to court instead? I suggest they wouldn't. They would be too worried about making matters worse and take the path of least resistance. Furthermore, I can imagine somebody being issued a ticket by the Police for blowing their nose, might be totally confused by the situtation and perhaps not thinking straight.

Remember, the Police might do this every day and be able to remain calm, think things through, plan ahead, act reasonably, but someone minding their own business, blowing their nose, never been stopped by the Police before, will probably be out of their depth and too worried about doing something that might annoy the Officer.

And it appears there is more to this story than meets the eye: The above links suggest the Police Officer might not have had anything better to do than issue tickets to people blowing their nose.

I hope this guy has the time and money to take this all the way.

Last edited:

Garrett

There have been similar cases in the past, one where the drivers wife passed him a KitKat and he got fines. Also a case of some one who had just pulled up at the traffic lights too a quick swig out of a water bottle was also fined.

lead

Novice Member
I guess I shouldn't re-tune my radio whilst at the lights. If a copper sees me I might get done. :rolleyes:

wack

This is getting pathetic, it's easy to sit at a set of lights and persecute stationary motorists, what does it matter if someone decides to take a drink while stopped, they're not much of a danger if they're not moving

every day I see some tool driving 10-15mph over the limit in a built up area, where are the scamera vans, on a nice straight road in the middle of nowhere where the limit has just been dropped from 60 to 40.

huntere

When I'm driving along and a sneeze is brewing, I always whip out a tissue or a hanky to catch the impending aftermath.....does this mean I should pull over on the motorway before I sneeze and blow my nose? I'm definately not in full control when I sneeze as my eyes are shut :eek:
This reminds of an incident which happened to my brother - this may actually belong in the embarrassing incidents thread but anyway.
On the way to have his car MOT'd a sneeze brewed quickly and with some ferocity. With no time to take preventative measures, said sneeze erupted with some violence. My poor old bro was aware there had been some "discharge" but couldn't for the life of him find it. Well not until the MOT inspector, with my poor old bro present, went to take the odometer reading and there was said item sliding down the dash obscuring the meter. My brother never went back to that garage. It should be noted at the time bro was old bill and maybe he knew to utilise a handkerchief would have been illegal?

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Yet it's OK to fumble around for a packet of silk cut, light it with a red hot coil & drive around with a mini fire hazard in your hand, in a smoke filled car, with a couple of kids in the back.:facepalm:

Flimber

Distinguished Member
This guy was on BBC Breakfast this morning and did confirm that his car was stationary at the time of the 'offence' with the handbrake on. I can't help thinking that the police did this for a sick laugh or that the guy is known to them somehow and it's 'personal'.

Mike.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I sneezed while I was driving home night, incidently my eyes closed while I sneezed. Am I going to the slammer now? :confused:

huntere

Yet it's OK to fumble around for a packet of silk cut, light it with a red hot coil & drive around with a mini fire hazard in your hand, in a smoke filled car, with a couple of kids in the back.:facepalm:
Here in Western Australia, last year it was made illegal to smoke in a car with kids in - but the police have said they won't enforce it as they have better things to worry about. Hmmm interesting dilemma.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett