Drive (Spec Ed, R2) - dodgy disk??

No, mine hasn't arrived yet. I presume they wouldn't have got to test mine until yesterday at the earliest. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I spoke to Lynn again to say the replacement does not work.

She said that they had tested one of their stock and is was okay but not the one they sent me. So much for checking individual disks :mad: :mad:

They are getting in another batch of 50 later this week. Will check these and send me one of them if it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So asked me to send it back to them.

Therefore after I build up my hopes HKL would be efficient and it would be sorted, seems a never ending saga.

hi
mine stuck on a tosh 210 looking to buy 2nd hand copy off someone who can assure me i get to see the end :mad:

Originally posted by malcy
I spoke to Lynn again to say the replacement does not work.

She said that they had tested one of their stock and is was okay but not the one they sent me. So much for checking individual disks :mad: :mad:
If your individual personal copy had not been tested, then why on earth was it unwrapped? :mad:

She warned me that mine would be tested and therefore would not be shrink wrapped (I presume she told you the same) - so what's the point of taking the shrink wrapping off it if it won't be individually tested!!!!!!!!!

I agree Malcolm - this is utter NONSENSE! :mad:

If mine doesn't work when it arrives, I'm tempted to just get a refund and buy it on VHS to see how it ends!! Sounds like we are just gonna go around in circles waiting for new batches to be delivered each time, as you say :(:(:(

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll let you know how I get on with mine when it arrives...

Just had a call from Lynn.
The 50 repressed disks HKL received this morning are all faulty as well. They have just spent the morning checking every one.

They also looked at my returned disk and agreed it has the problem, seems when it was originally sent out they just checked you could access ch29, and did not then start watching it where they would have seen, as detailed in my earlier post, the picture breaks up and freezes after a few seconds.

Therefore they have gone back to the manufactures so do not expect any repressed disks until next week at the earliest.

When will this saga end :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Malcolm

That will explain why I haven't received mine yet then!!

I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to get one that works ... :(

Got mine this morning..... you can guess what happened ;) Yes, it did exactly the same thing, as expected. So back it goes.... :rolleyes:

Possibly some good news at last on this long running saga.

I received an e-mail from Lynn at HKL to say that they have just received a new batch of disks (after 2 week wait). Out of the 50 only 3 worked so they are sending me one. Hopefully this will now work in my players.

Squirrel hope you are also on the list for these as well.

Malcolm

I haven't received an email from Lynn, so I hope so :(

Thanks for the update :)

hi got a refund on mine brought a second hand copy and watched all the film again worth the wait??? good film hope you get your films soughted soon good luck

Well, I got a replacement Drive disk today.

Bad news - It still freezes :mad: :( :(

Good news - Chapter 29 is the only unplayable chapter this time. I can watch Chapter 30 (the end credits) :rolleyes:

Did you get yours Malcy? Does it work?

:(

:(

Its probably waiting at home for me, will check tonight.
As mine was posted Tuesday was hoping it would arrive yesterday, but nothing so far.

We do seem to be unlucky with these disks, as they all seem to have problems.

If you phone Lynn today please let me know how you get on.

This seems to be a widespread problem, as I saw there is a thread mentioning here on the DVD Forums.

Thanks

Malcolm

I hope we get one to work soon :( I think they must have just tested Chapter 30 rather than the layer change itself. :(

I tried it in my DVD-ROM as well - this time it would play but Chapter 29 was inaccessible so it's definitely not a compatibility issue.

Perhaps it is a major flaw in the mastering/authoring/pressing process. If so, this is not something that they'll get fixed overnight.

I'm going to send Lynn an email later - I'll, of course, post again when I've heard from her. :)

I actually feel like giving up at this point and just getting a refund :( I'll decide once I hear from Lynn.

BTW, I saw the thread on DVD Forums already ;)

Please let me know the outcome when you've tested yours :)

Malcy,

I've heard from Lynn and she says she personally liaised with the technical department to ensure the disks worked before they went out. They specifically checked Chapter 29 and threw out all the bad disks.

Maybe there are a few DVD players out there that will play these disks then - if they are using high-end players, maybe that is why these tested disks work?? Who knows! Certainly there are many people with this problem though!

I am sending mine back for further testing so they can get to the root of the problem. :(

I have sent you a PM as well so please check your private messages when you get a chance :)

This whole situation is getting very depressing isn't it :(

hi squirrel + malcy
i bought a s/hand copy a couple of weeks ago if i get the chance to watch it in the next week or so and it plays ok you 2 could borrow it to see the film/ending and post it back whenever, until you can get guaranteed working copies

Originally posted by barrykil
hi squirrel + malcy
i bought a s/hand copy a couple of weeks ago if i get the chance to watch it in the next week or so and it plays ok you 2 could borrow it to see the film/ending and post it back whenever, until you can get guaranteed working copies
Thanks very much for the offer Barry, but I wouldn't dream of imposing like that. :) I can't speak for Malcy however :p

Lynn has been very helpful at HKL. I still think the customer service has been very good. Eventually, I'm sure they will get the problem solved (I think I had a good lunch, I seem to be wearing my confidence hat ;)). :D

After all, the batches from around a year ago seemed to work fine. Your second hand copy is further testament to that, especially since you had problems with new copies. So something has changed in the production process since then. It's all very strange...... :confused:

Success :) :)

My replacement copy of Drive arrived yesterday. Testing it in my Sony 725 it plays perfectly, from ch28 through the layer change and chs 29 & 30 to the end of the film.

A big thank you to Lynn and the team at HKL for getting this resolved.

Hope you get a working version soon Squirrel.

Bad news I am afraid Squirrel :(

I have now had time to test my latest version on my other players.
Although it works on my Sony 725D, it still gives the problem on both a Sony F21 & PS2 with ch29 unwatchable (just skips over it).

Therefore it looks like although the manufacturing fault has been fixed, there is still an incompatibility problem with some players.

Hi Malcy,

Thanks very much for letting us know.

Lynn sent me another disk yesterday which arrived today.

I tested it and it does the same thing as the previous disk, i.e. it locks up at the layer change for several seconds, then skips straight to Ch 30. When I tried this one in my DVD-ROM, it tried to access Ch 29 but just returned to the menu. Same thing happened when trying to access Ch 30.

With your tests as well, it therefore looks like this disk will play on some players but not others. :( So it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get a copy that works. :(

Hi everyone,

I got a nice surprise in the post this morning - a new copy of Drive!

This time it's been re-pressed and it works like a dream!! :) :)

Thanks to everyone at HKL, especially Lynn, for being really great about all this!

I guess the shops should now be stocking the new version :)

Now I gotta go and see how the movie ends ..... :D :cool:

Squirrel can you still remember where the DVD player is after three months??? :rolleyes:

just watched Drive the directors' cut after having seen the theatrical version a number of years ago. The beginning was a little iffy and I thought boy was I wrong but then it just got better and better with more jokes, better action. It's a brainless action movie but features some superb choreographed sequences and Mark Dacascos puts in a superb performance. It's a shame he's never made it as an action hero or martial-arts action hero since the man has serious moves.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom