1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive (Spec Ed, R2) - dodgy disk??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the R2 of this.

Was watching it this afternoon, and was enjoying it too, until it gets to the last 20 minutes of the movie and it tries to change to scene 29 and then...... it paused and it wouldn't budge from pause :mad: I can't access the final scenes from the movie at all :( So I tried the disk in my DVD-ROM to see if I could access them there and it wouldn't even read the disk :mad:

I'm going to send it back but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had experienced problems with this disk, in case there is a dodgy batch going about? If so, I might get a refund and buy it elsewhere.

2. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Someone on 'BulletsnBabes' website reported a similar (the same?) problem with a recently bought version of this disc.

Mine plays fine but is over a year old - maybe a dodgy recent batch.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yikes, thanks Nike. Worth me getting a refund then and holding out for a bit.

I'll just have to wait to see what happens in the end :( Thought it was a really good movie too :( It's almost as annoying as when I purchased Go on VHS in a sale 1 or 2 years ago. Can you believe the tape ran out at the end? :eek: So I couldn't see what happened in the last 10 mins :mad: Good excuse to buy the DVD though :D

4. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i had the same problem end of chapter 28/start of 29 got it from dvd plus about 3 months ago played it 3 weeks ago they changed it straight away, reading this thread i played the new one exactly the same thing happens so i`ll be on the phone for a credit.
    Like you say SQUIRREL dodgy batch.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger! I hoped that if I bought it from somewhere else I might get a working one but it seems not :(

Bought mine from mvc.co.uk for £5.99. streetsonline.co.uk doing it for £4.99 now. But that doesn't matter does it ..... looks like we all have a long wait :( Bloody good movie as well :(

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My copy is about 18 months old, and I've had no problems with it. It is a cracking film

7. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    sent 2nd copy back today, will buy 2nd hand disc that works!!!!

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posted mine back today as well. :(

Shame the R2 is the definitive version :(

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone has recently (in the last few weeks or so) purchased a copy of Drive Special Ed R2 that does not have the above problem, could you please let me know where you purchased it so that I can then order one too?!! Thanks. :)

10. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i 2nd that!

11. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a copy from HMV in their sale last weekend. Paid a bit more than you guys at £9.99
    However has same problem as yours it pauses at end of ch28 then jumps to start of ch30. Can forward back into ch29 but picture jumps and starts to break up before completely freezing, then have to eject disk !
    Have had same problem on replacement from HMV as well so definitely some type of manufacturing fault. Does not work in either of my players a Sony 725 & F21.

Have you seen on the HKL website they give contact details
    lynn@medusacom.co.uk
    and Telephone: +44 (0) 870 2403583 (Mon to Fri 09.00 to 17.30)
    Fax: +44 (0)1462 420393

will try today and see what they say

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think to check the website!

Could you please post any reply that you get please Malcy? :)

I'd gladly pay £9.99 for a disk that worked :(

13. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a response. Shows efficiency of HKL v other firms.

"Yes it does appear that a batch was faulty but I am surprised that the shops have not returned all these and had good copies delivered. Our mail order section was made aware of this problem and promptly got new dvds ordered. If we have any faulty ones returned to us we check the new copy out first to make sure it is ok before returning it to our customer. It is a shame that the shops do not get there act together and replace their stock. As you have tried a couple of times to get this dvd I suggest that you get a refund from the shop and then order from our mail order section on the web or phone me."

Looks like HMV are a bunch of idiots probably bought through grey market as I know HKL are not keen on their product being on sale.

I have now e-mailed back and said would prefer them to just replace it, as if I buy direct its £17.99 for one disk but can get a second title for £10 so £13.50 each. Which is bit more than I paid and a lot more than some of you.

Will let you know their response.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Malcy :)

It seems HMV are not alone in not returning their stock though, as you can see from the other posts on this thread. :(

If they are willing to swap it, that's great :) I/We can then order it for £4.99 from streetsonline.co.uk and then get them to exchange it :D (Edit - price has been raised to £5.99 at streetsonline)

What's the website address of HKL please?

Looking forward to their reply ;)

15. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now got this resolved :) :)
    They agreed to sell me a copy direct for £9.99 the price I paid at HMV. They will test my new copy and confirm its all fine before sending out to me tomorrow.

Now back to HMV to get a refund and give them a piece of my mind :mad:

Lynn at HKL mentioned someone else contacted her today about this, was that you ?
    Had a chat about the problem. They sent a recall out to retailers but most ignored it and they have had a lot of disgruntled customers one person tried 4 versions from the same store none worked.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Result!

Unfortunately not, but perhaps I should get in touch with them and see if they'll sell me a copy for £5.99 which is the price I paid for mine :devil:

How can retailers ignore this and think that customers will not return the disk?!!!! It's disgraceful!!! :mad:

17. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from MVC in the sale. It too stuck on chapter 29. I took it back, and got another copy no trouble. This copy is fine.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn. I've posted it back and asked for a refund now! Might be worth me ordering another one then :devil: Thanks Jason :)

19. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    keep us posted if you do, thanks

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just be in touch with Lynn who has agreed to do the same with me as she did with Malcy. It's great that they'll check it before despatch! :)

21. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been amazed how efficient HKL are makes a change from most places :)
    Hopefully will arrive tomorrow they were testing my disk this morning and sending today. Will then get to watch the ending at the weekend eventually :)

If you don't mind me asking did you get it for the lower price ?
    Was happy with what I paid as cracking film with great documentary (upto HKLs usual standards) unlike most other studios feable efforts

Malcolm

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they're honouring what I paid (£5.99+£1 P&P), which is fantastic customer service, as you say, and incredibly fair of them. :) It's only £3 less than you so not the end of the world as you say. :) And to be honest, I would've paid more (and was expecting them to ask me to pay more!) just to get one that works and to see how the film ends! No one else I know has got it or even heard of it so I couldn't have even borrowed someone's copy to find out!

Let's hope our working disks arrive soon :D and thanks again for posting all the details! :)

23. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My replacement copy from HKL arrived yesterday, was unwrapped so looked like they had tested it.

Put in my players and then to my disappointment has the same problem. :mad: :mad: On my two players

Sony F21 - Freezes and have to eject at end of ch28 and refuses to play either ch29 or ch30 from scene selection menu. Previous copy did allow me to play ch30.

Sony 725 - Pauses at the end of ch28 for 5 -10 seconds then starts ch29 but the pictures freezes, jumps or breaks up every couple of seconds. After around 4 minutes problem clears and it plays to the end of the film okay.

Looking at the on screen graphic on my Sony 725 the end of ch28 / start of ch29 is the layer change so definitely some problem there.

Looks therefore like an incompatibility with Sony players, although never had this problem with my other HKL titles.

Has anyone got a recently purchased copy of Drive to play on a Sony ? is so where did you get it ?

Many thanks

Malcolm

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ****ing hell :(

Yes, that's when the layer change takes place. Mine's a Sony player too (DVPNS300) and I got what your Sony F21 does. But my copy wouldn't work in my DVD-ROM either (wouldn't even recognise the disk!) and that's not a Sony.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but if it doesn't work for me either it's gonna be annoying having to contact Lynn again to get a refund :(

Have you spoken to her yet Malcolm?

25. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently rather busy at work !
    Was going to see if I can try the disk in another make of player to see if its just a Sony thing. Unfortunately all my relatives have Sony so was going to try someone at work to try at home for me.

However given the problems with your PC it doesn't look hopeful.

I presume yours has not arrived yet ? am interested to see what happens with your copy.

Also they are quick off the mark charging you, had appeared on my CC yesterday.

Will try and phone Lynn this afternoon.

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, mine hasn't arrived yet. I presume they wouldn't have got to test mine until yesterday at the earliest. I'll let you know when it arrives.

27. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Lynn again to say the replacement does not work.

She said that they had tested one of their stock and is was okay but not the one they sent me. So much for checking individual disks :mad: :mad:

They are getting in another batch of 50 later this week. Will check these and send me one of them if it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So asked me to send it back to them.

Therefore after I build up my hopes HKL would be efficient and it would be sorted, seems a never ending saga.

28. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi
    mine stuck on a tosh 210 looking to buy 2nd hand copy off someone who can assure me i get to see the end :mad:

29. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your individual personal copy had not been tested, then why on earth was it unwrapped? :mad:

She warned me that mine would be tested and therefore would not be shrink wrapped (I presume she told you the same) - so what's the point of taking the shrink wrapping off it if it won't be individually tested!!!!!!!!!

I agree Malcolm - this is utter NONSENSE! :mad:

If mine doesn't work when it arrives, I'm tempted to just get a refund and buy it on VHS to see how it ends!! Sounds like we are just gonna go around in circles waiting for new batches to be delivered each time, as you say :(:(:(

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll let you know how I get on with mine when it arrives...

30. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a call from Lynn.
    The 50 repressed disks HKL received this morning are all faulty as well. They have just spent the morning checking every one.

They also looked at my returned disk and agreed it has the problem, seems when it was originally sent out they just checked you could access ch29, and did not then start watching it where they would have seen, as detailed in my earlier post, the picture breaks up and freezes after a few seconds.

Therefore they have gone back to the manufactures so do not expect any repressed disks until next week at the earliest.

When will this saga end :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Malcolm