Drive problem???!!!

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
Reaction score
I burnt my DVDs onto the Iomega minimax 2tb and dumped the physical DVDs. Guess what, was trying to connect this to my airport extreme, or Xbox or MacBook and it isn't being seen by any of em?! It's still in warranty.

What do I do?

By dumped, do you mean you no longer have them? If you don't have them, then you basically have media to which you are not entitled, and AVForums cannot help you.

spyder viewer said:
By dumped, do you mean you no longer have them? If you don't have them, then you basically have media to which you are not entitled, and AVForums cannot help you.

? These are all paid for DVDs that I owned. There are still quite a few left to burn so that I can make room in the house! They weren't illegally downloaded. I bought these hard drives so that I can wirelessly view my movie collection or via apple tv.

That's "owned" - past tence. If you no longer possess them, then I suspect you no longer have rights to the title. Stricly speaking, I don't think you're allowed to rip them to your NAS at all, but it's a while since I read the "fair usage" clauses in the UK copyright act, so maybe they've updated it.

Strictly speaking you have no right to copy a DVD / BLU-RAY to store on a computer system as this usually requires getting round the protection system which is breaking the law. If you look at CDs as well there is no provision for copying them to another type of media or 'Format Shifting' as its known. So technically it is breaking the law as well. Well you could imagine the outcry if the government introduced an ipod tax or similar for having your music on digital media. This is where the law has shown some sense. You can copy your CDs to your ipod without the threat of being prosecuted so long as it is for personal use and that you own a physical copy (CD) of the music. So if you apply the same thinking to DVD / BLU-RAY you must own a copy to be able to transfer it to a computer system for personal use.
So back to this case, by not having a physical copy of the films be it DVD/BLU-RAY/VHS:eek: you are now breaking the law. The chances of being prosecuted are next to none but at least show a bit of honesty,if you don't own it delete it. As it is you don't say how you 'dumped' them. My guess would be you traded them in to Cash Converters or similar for some extra cash.

I've chucked away some of the physical DVDs I own and have ripped to my computer. Sadly DVDs don't last for ever and suffer from wear and tear - I see no point in keeping a scratched and damaged disc just to prove I legally own it. It's a little unfair to say the OP is breaking the law by no longer having the disc as mentioned before any ripping is technically a copyright breach, we're not here to find out what the OP has done with their discs, whether they've been thrown away or not. So I think we should just leave that one there.

I've chucked away some of the physical DVDs I own and have ripped to my computer. Sadly DVDs don't last for ever and suffer from wear and tear - I see no point in keeping a scratched and damaged disc just to prove I legally own it. It's a little unfair to say the OP is breaking the law by no longer having the disc as mentioned before any ripping is technically a copyright breach, we're not here to find out what the OP has done with their discs, whether they've been thrown away or not. So I think we should just leave that one there.

Since you are both moderators shouldn't you be talking on the same page ?

Since you are both moderators shouldn't you be talking on the same page ?

The moderators here are only human, we are not robots so do not moderate in the same fashion all the time.

The reason I posted what I did is becuase the OP was not breaking any of the forum rules, nobody needs to judge the poster's actions and whether they are legal or not, so I say we just leave that one be and carry on trying to help.

You said yourself that ripping is technically illegal, but it would be preposterous for us to not allow anyone to discuss these matters.

The OP has a problem with his storage device and wants advice on that, so I think we should keep it on topic :)

Iccz said:
The moderators here are only human, we are not robots so do not moderate in the same fashion all the time.

The reason I posted what I did is becuase the OP was not breaking any of the forum rules, nobody needs to judge the poster's actions and whether they are legal or not, so I say we just leave that one be and carry on trying to help.

You said yourself that ripping is technically illegal, but it would be preposterous for us to not allow anyone to discuss these matters.

The OP has a problem with his storage device and wants advice on that, so I think we should keep it on topic :)

Thank you very much for the last message. I have been a member here for years and my wife and I have spent thousands on music and movies. The issue is a hard drive that has my movies and now doesn't work. I am not dishonestly selling or sharing my collection. I just want ease of use through digital media. What's wrong with that?

If the unit simply isn't being detected at all, then just about the only thing you can do is remove the HDD from the case and try it directly attached to a desktopm PC/MAC - it may be the unit's USB/Firewire electronics which are U/S - the HDD may be OK. However it could just as easily be the other way round and the electronics are OK, but the HDD is duff.

The problem you have is that removing the drive from the case will almost certainly invalidate any warranty on it, and if you invoke the warranty and return the unit as-is, for replacement, you'll almost certainly lose whatever contents are on it (data storage device warranties very seldom cover data).

Looking at your list of kit though, it may be pointless to remove the HDD from the case, as none of the kit you listed is really suitable for attaching a bare HDD anyway - you really need access to a desktop PC/MAC.

Spider, I've been on these forums for more years than I can remember. Although one comes and goes as the questions arise. I've never yet had a moderator who has turned the debate so sharply that confounds the meaning of moderate.i accept the copyright issues mentioned, however, I'll be very surprised if I'm the only one who chucks DVDs after burning them. The question was more about hardware issues!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom