Drive partitioning

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Apr 26, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment, the computer i use for getneral messing about has a whole lot of nonsense on it due to various siblings! I want to somehow manage to get a fairly tidy environment on which I can play with Girder, power dvd, talisman or the likes. So, can i somehow partition the drive now? Given it is already in use.

If so, how do i go about it?

thanks!

ad

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Partition magic is a must for this sort of situation. It has saved me many times.

just get hold of a copy and follow the instructions it is pretty simple to use.

If you're doing a repartition then try and consider how you would like the data and programs split.

The MS defaults for where stuff goes tend to be very stupid but if running two OSes in anger on the same machine consider sharing some the same user directories, this can be some with some registry settings, then you can have the same desktop, favourites and documents between the two OS.

John

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had thought that partition magic was the trick, but wasnt sure. Where can i get hold of it most cheaply?

How does the whole partitioning go? So i can do one partition which i put OS onto and all my programs...then have another one which i put ghost onto (does that one need the os?) then can i have more partitions with no os just for file store?

Beyond ghosting onto a 2nd partition or having a second for different use to the 1st, what benefits does having loads of little partitions instead of one big one?

thanks!!
    ad

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't know were to get it cheapest, I bought mine direct by download only to avoid VAT.

Yes In your scenario I would suggest

c: OS and Progs1 (2-4Gb main system)
    d: ghost partition fat32 (4Gb)
    e: data (whatever is left)
    f: OS and progs 2 (2-4Gb test system)

Having lots of little partitions isn't really a good idea but separating data from programs is a very very good idea. There used to be lots of reasons to have small partitions but they have pretty much all gone now.

Things to watch out for are the accesibilty of the ghost partition from DOS, I think it is good idea to keep the first two partitions under 8Gb in size.

You may want to split the data partition into two parts, one for non-recreatable stuff that you need to backup and one for stuff like mp3 rips that are recreateable and not really worth backing up.

This is how I'm planning to do my HTPC in the next few weeks. Gordon has been also asking how to go about this so I might write it up as I do it.

John

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,455
    one big advantage smaller partitions have over 1 large partition.....speed!!

It's quicker for your PC to find files in smaller partitions, say 2-6gb, than to find the same file on a partiton of 20gb.

Although file indexing does help, there is still a speed difference.

And don't forget, the more full the hard drive, the slower it will be aswell!!

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A lot depends on the OS you want to use.

I would recomemnd using NTFS with an NT version if possible.

John

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    NTFS is for Win NT, Win 2000 amd Win XP only.

The other advantage of partitions is that they waste less space because the clusters are smaller.

Are you dual bootong you pc, ie running 2 different operating systems?

One way to go is to make the partitions as follows.

The fist partition say C:\ will be only 55 meg. This is formatted as Fat16 and used as the BOOT partition.

Then make each subsiquent partition for Opperating Systems, Games in either Fat32 or NTFS again depending on the opperating system you are using, and a final one for Ghost Images (Not NTFS though)

Have fun

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the primary aim is to partition a space on an in use hard drive, to dual boot on windows ME.

The plan is when the dign case gets here (if), i will be using it exclusively for audio and video playback, probably with XP home......so I assume I need a main partition on which I put all programs and which I use day to day. Then, presumably a partition for data......such as cd copys onto hard drive. Then a partition for ghosting.......does this partition need to have an OS on it?

I dont know all the FAT and NTFS terms, I have never tried all of this before! Is all that explained upon partition magic literature?

Ad

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Re price: I recently got Partition Magic 7 for about £41 (inc VAT) from Dabs.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    that seems vey steep! What is wrong with windows doing partitioning?

ad

11. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can Windows partition existing drives which are fully allocated?

PM allows you to resize partitions, add new ones, merge existing ones etc - v flexible.

Must admit, I bought PM v 3 years ago for a single task (thought it was steep then), and have used it many many times since then. Bought v7 recently to cope with large disks, Win2000 etc.
    Depends if you're likely to use it again, really, for a one off task, yes it's a bit pricey, but if you mess with PCs at all, it's great.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think im only looking to use it a couple of times.....partitiojn current pc to remove sibling nonsense, partition hcpc for optimal use, and then partition a 3rd comp......but cant see any use beyond that.

ad

13. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4