Drive E not working?

iwearahalo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just got a new laptop and was in the process of trying to transfer music across to it from my old desktop, two issues arose from this,

1) The files transfered fine but my e drive did not work after this, coincidence?

2) The music would not play and came up with a 2004 xp windows page saying my drivers were out of date?

I am reformatting the laptop after numerous resets and attempts (running around the lounge like my hair is on fire) to rectify this I could not think of anything else, unless of course its broken but I shall find this out after the format.

A couple of questions

1) If this is the usb/flash drive how do I rectify this?

2) On windows 8 how and where do I find if my drivers are all up to date?

3) Is it possible at all to transfer legitimate music between systems now or do I simply (not) have to put my cd collection through i tunes/wmp again?

Many Thanks

If its a brand new laptop then why did you not contact the people you bought it from?

I plan to do that but was asking on here to see if there is anything that can be done before I venture into PC World, possibly its quite a common issue ie transfering files and the drive then fails to read?

Were you using the flash drive as a transfer? Pulling the drive out before the read / write cycle is complete can cause issues. Personally, I would use a transfer cable or even just via local networking. I have a USB - USB transfer cable that is as quick as the drives on the PC and these only cost £10 or so.

MP3s and most other formats can be freely copied around. You will only struggle with anything you "rented" from iTunes, but even so , this should still transfer.

USB flash drives can fail, both electronically and mechanically, but it is fairly unusual. I have had maybe one in 10 years or so, and that is with washing them, dropping them, even crushing them...

I can only assume its the drivers that need updating, they recently were though, I can only assume that putting the flash drive in "reset?" the drivers hence they wont play cd's/downloads, they still played cd's previously in manually put into itunes/wmp, its plays dvd's now it has been formatted but still no cd's my wife tells me (I am not at home), update the drivers and take it from there.

Sent it back in the end, now without a laptop but have no headaches, will buy another one soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom