1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive digital video and audio out of firewire port on PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SashaV, Jun 28, 2005.

1. SashaV

SashaV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if it is possible to hook up a PC to HDTV via a firewire interface, and drive digital video and audio through firewire, esentially play let's say AVI files on TV?
    Foe example, you have Pioneer HDTV PDP-4350HD with firewire interface and want to send audio and video from a PC.
    Is there a software that would direct video and audio signals to firewire port on PC?
    There is always an option of hooking up HDTV via either VGA or DVI from PC video card, but sound remains a problem, would have to connect the sound card, and that is what I want to avoid (do not want to go though sound card amplifier, want digital sound to HDTV).

2. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    raw data is sent over firewire (at least it's raw when speaking of audio) so video most likely won't work. Not enough bandwith. There are firewire speakers that plug in a FWport of a PC so it might work. Don't know if D-VHS uses a specific protocol for audio over firewire or that it's the same as PC data output. I guess you can only try and see if Windows sees a new device connected.

Sorry, not much of a help here

3. SashaV

SashaV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for suggestion.
    Would I run a risk of burning the port on either end if I just try and see?

4. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if they are conform firewire/iee1394 spec. then there shouldn't be any danger.
    The PC side would have to be and since pioneer are calling it firewire it also should be. If the pioneer manual or back of tv calls it iee194(a), firewire or I.link it should be O.K.

This PDF states that firewire can distribute DC power between 8V and 33V and a current up to 1.5amps.

So if it's wrongly/badly implemented there is a chance of burning out a port or maybe even a controller chip.