1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive C: Not capable of capturing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Gary557p, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Gary557p

Gary557p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help, I get an error message from Studio 8 when I switch to capture mode, which reads ‘Drive C: is not capable of capturing DV data.’ It worked fine before my last reformat of the C drive and I’ve checked the box for "Support Non-Compliant Devices", but still no capture. Had some problems with drivers but seem to have resolved them now, (no yellow marks now in device manager). Any Ideas??

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

Have you tested your HDD drive is capable of caturing video footage at the minimum read and write data transfer rates after you have formatted your drive using the Studio 8 data transfer functionality?

1. Open up Stuido 8.
    2. From the Setup menu click Edit.
    3. Click the capture tab and click the Test Data Rate button. After a minute or two a message will be displayed stating whether your HDD is capable of reading and writing fast enough to capture footage. I can't remeber the the rates but I think it around 5MB/s.

Reason for a slow data rate could be failing HDD, change of OS to XP on a slower machine, changing the HDD jumper settings, faulty or failing IDE bus on system board, addition of new components to IDE bus.

I had the same problem but never really got to the bottom of it. In the end I disconnected a CD writer from the same IDE bus which was set up as a slave device and the problem went away. I then connected the CD writer onto the second IDE bus and left the HDD as master on its own bus. I can only guess there was some conflict but it didn't show up in Windows/System.

Iain.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    laser,
    just FYI - when useing a PC for editing it is recommended that you don't connect a CD/DVD etc drive to the same IDE channel as a HDD as the optical drives will slow the HDD down to the fastest speed the optical drive can work at.

Gary557p,
    How much spare space do you have on the HDD?
    Capture from a Digital camcorder will take approx 13Gb for every hour captured. The software may be checking available space and stopping capture as it requires more.

Have you defragmented the drive after the OS install?
    If the drive is badly fragmented the the seek and write times for the drive will be far slower as the drive will be hunting for free space over the different sectors of the drive.

Have you enabled DMA for the HDD?
    If DMA is not enabled then even although the drive may be fast enough to capture video the OS will not be accessing the drive as well as it would.

As already stated, if you upgraded to Windows XP then a lot of additional space will have been taken up by the new OS.

Mark.

4. Gary557p

Gary557p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried your recommends.......All seems well after a simple defrag!!
    I'm well pleased. Many thanks MarkE19 and Laser. :D