Drive 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

NyarlaThoTep

Distinguished Member
Incidentally, as I don't think it's been mentioned ; the bbc3 version is streamable on amazon prime if anyone is curious (not that I'd recommend watching it!). It's under 'Drive: Radio 1 rescores'.

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
My jacket innit.
20220613_104038.jpg

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
Nice but I'd be careful where you wore that! Its the sort of thing I'd buy but never actually wear... :blush:
I only wear it when driving bank robbers.

Davyb100

My set arrived yesterday, its a big, heavy box for sure. I pre-ordered through Amazon and the tray card the box sits in was slightly bent on one side but it's not serious. I'll probably order Dog Soldiers direct from Second Sight next time as they usually bubble wrap their products unlike Amazon.

I gave the opening a quick spin and it looks and sounds amazing. I haven't watched the blu-ray in a few years but I could see an improvement in the visuals thanks to the HDR and extra resolution. Sound less so, as the blu-ray was already awesome and I don't have an Atmos receiver to take full advantage of the new mix.

I wonder if they have plans for The Neon Demon as a new 4K set? I do have the German 4K disc but it doesn't have HDR. It would make an excellent companion piece to this if given the same treatment.
Looks like Second Sight might be the only place to buy Dog Soldiers, I haven‘t seen it for preorder anywhere else yet.
I managed to pick a copy of the Drive set up from Zavvi with 12% off and it arrived on Saturday, thankfully in perfect condition. One of my favourites so really looking forward to watching it again.
I haven’t seen Neon Demon, is it any good? I didn’t like Only God Forgives at all.

NyarlaThoTep

Distinguished Member
Looks like Second Sight might be the only place to buy Dog Soldiers, I haven‘t seen it for preorder anywhere else yet.
I managed to pick a copy of the Drive set up from Zavvi with 12% off and it arrived on Saturday, thankfully in perfect condition. One of my favourites so really looking forward to watching it again.
I haven’t seen Neon Demon, is it any good? I didn’t like Only God Forgives at all.
For what it's worth, I really liked Neon Demon - and another Cliff Martinez kick-ass soundtrack keeps it ticking along nicely too.

NyarlaThoTep

Distinguished Member
Its gotta kind of Suspiria vibe I think. Soundtrack is very good. Film not so much.
For me, the whole was greater than the sum of its parts!
Came across as an unusually accessible arthouse movie, which I guess is what Refn excels at - mixing art with popular culture.

Snake79

Nice, sounds like you got a good deal there.

I can definitely see the Suspiria comparison. It's kind of modern take, set in the world of modelling rather than ballet, with a dance/electronica soundtrack instead of a prog soundtrack.

It doesn't quite have same supernatural element of Suspiria or the continued sense of dread, but it is certainly a horror, taking extreme elements of the fashion/modelling industry, dialling it up to 11 and presenting it in a beautiful looking, if very disturbing movie.

Elle Fanning is perfectly cast for the role and goes through something of a transformation. The supporting cast are all pretty good too, but I did find Keanu Reeves slightly out of place.

It is shot with a lot of style and has some stunning visual set pieces and the soundtrack really gives it a distinct feel to compliment the imagery.

It has a lot of things that I like but I can understand why it won't appeal to everyone.

Davyb100

Thanks for the comments, I‘ll give it a go. I think Elle Fanning is a great actress and the Suspiria comparisons definitely have me intrigued.

FevreDream

Watched my copy last night, it’s a great transfer. Second Sight done good again. 🙂

smurr051958

Novice Member
Received mine from Second Sight yesterday. Extremely gorgeous boxset and wish more sets like this would come with the novel that inspired the film. Grab one quickly if you are a big fan of the film, you will not be disappointed.

Fillius

My copy arrived this morning. I've just watched it (not seen before). I put off buying this for £55, but I'm glad I gave in.

What a brilliant set, audio, video and film...

I can see now why it's so highly regarded on here.

Bravo Second Sight.

Now, to read the book!

Davyb100

Just got watching this last week, all I can say is wow. The transfer was pristine and the Atmos soundtrack was excellent. The helicopter at the start was a particular stand out. Worth every penny.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I watched it last night and it does indeed look utterly fantastic, reference quality.

Top notch audio mix too, though the music has never appealed to me. It suits the film well but not my cuppa tea.

Tsunamijhoe

Finally got around to watching this 4k version, and reading the review here, and either i misunderstood the writing in the review, or reviewer got it wrong.
Casimir opens the review with "taking us back to the 80s", how so?
The film takes place in contemporary time as shown by the cars used.
Or is it more a metaphoric comment about the score and lightning reminiscing of an 80s period piece?

Either way, the film is excellent, the score superb and the 4k transfer is spectacular.
I do have a different take on the audio though. I have a 7.2.4 system, and didn't find the atmos track really did anything for the film, in fact i noticed the scene where they are evading the police helicopter after the warehouse break-in in the beginning, the helicopter sounds are mostly mixed towards the forward soundstage, just like the rest of the mix, whereas if you upmix the 5.1 you get more distinct height information as well as some surround placement.
I was very disappointed in this atmos mix as it is mostly expanded music cueues.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom