Reaction score
Links: 88 Films - Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Zavvi

Release date: 29/08/2022

First 4K UHD release from 88 Films
Drive_97_4K.jpg

FIRST PRESSING GLOSS SLIPCASE FEATURING NEW ARTWORK BY SAM GILBEY
INCLUDES A3 FOLD-OUT POSTER
Features:
  • Ultra High Definition (2160p) presentation of the Extended Director's Cut in 2.35:1 aspect ratio from a brand new 4K scan of the original camera negative.
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos®
  • 5.1 Surround DTS-HD MA
  • 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD MA
  • Optional English SDH
  • Audio commentary by director Steve Wang, fight choreographer Koichi Sakamoto and stars Mark Dacascos and Kadeem Hardison
  • Drive: Original Cut with optional English SDH
  • Drive: The Force Behind The Storm' documentary
  • Highway to Nowhere - Jason Tobin & Drive
  • Six Deleted Scenes
  • Interview gallery with cast, director and crew including stars Mark Dacascos and Kadeem Hardison, director Steve Wang, Second Unit Director Wyatt Weed and Stunt Coordinator Koichi Sakamoto
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible Sleeve

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'll have some of that. Replace my crappy R1 DVD.

So is this the Second Sight release?

:facepalm:

Wrong Drive!

The artwork looks like an 80’s video game. I’ve never heard of this Drive TBH.

Kid: I want to watch 'Drive'
Mum: We have 'Drive' at home

Still can't believe Brittany Murphy is no longer with us. One of those deaths that still shocks every time her name comes up.

Is this actually any good? I've obviously never seen it but given it has Brittany Murphy (bless her, RIP) I feel I should check it out.

Is this actually any good? I've obviously never seen it but given it has Brittany Murphy (bless her, RIP) I feel I should check it out.
It's great!!!!

Mark Dacascos is supremely underrated, and unfortunately he'll never really be high profile now.

He was fun in John Wick 3 but really you have to go back and choose wisely amongst his back catalogue to see just what a fantastic action star this guy was/could have been.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is probably a person fave, but it's more an ensemble piece (even if Dacascos is absolutely scene-stealing and, curiously, the emotional core too)
Brotherhood of the Wolf Movie Review

Crying Freeman is blistering, highly stylised fun, tremendous, highly recommend hunting that down it's basically the manga brought from page to screen. It's also available in 4K:
Crying Freeman 4K Blu-ray Review

After those he pretty much faded into DTV, was competent enough in the Crow TV series (not a bad choice for replacing the late, great Brandon Lee) and has recently had a bit of limelight in the TV series Wu Assassins on Netflix.

'97 Drive is possibly his only other decently budgeted leading role. It's cheesy, occasionally silly, definitely OTT but absolutely action packed and VERY entertaining. Because he plays an 'enhanced' fighter, you're supposed to believe him capable of doing things humans cannot, but frequently this just requires him to showcase his fantastic martial arts skills. I highly recommend it, but do make sure you watch the "director's cut" as the theatrical cut has a REALLY cheesy soundtrack which really doesn't help an already pretty cheesy film. (the 4K remaster is for the director's cut, so this release is safe).

Mark Dacascos is supremely underrated, and unfortunately he'll never really be high profile now.

He was fun in John Wick 3 but really you have to go back and choose wisely amongst his back catalogue to see just what a fantastic action star this guy was/could have been.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is probably a person fave, but it's more an ensemble piece (even if Dacascos is absolutely scene-stealing and, curiously, the emotional core too)
Brotherhood of the Wolf Movie Review

Crying Freeman is blistering, highly stylised fun, tremendous, highly recommend hunting that down it's basically the manga brought from page to screen. It's also available in 4K:
Crying Freeman 4K Blu-ray Review

After those he pretty much faded into DTV, was competent enough in the Crow TV series (not a bad choice for replacing the late, great Brandon Lee) and has recently had a bit of limelight in the TV series Wu Assassins on Netflix.

'97 Drive is possibly his only other decently budgeted leading role. It's cheesy, occasionally silly, definitely OTT but absolutely action packed and VERY entertaining. Because he plays an 'enhanced' fighter, you're supposed to believe him capable of doing things humans cannot, but frequently this just requires him to showcase his fantastic martial arts skills. I highly recommend it, but do make sure you watch the "director's cut" as the theatrical cut has a REALLY cheesy soundtrack which really doesn't help an already pretty cheesy film. (the 4K remaster is for the director's cut, so this release is safe).
He was wasted in Cradle 2 The Grave, but still good. And don't forget Kickboxer 5.

His interview on ArtOfAction is also very good. Some proper laugh out loud moments.

He was wasted in Cradle 2 The Grave, but still good. And don't forget Kickboxer 5.

His interview on ArtOfAction is also very good. Some proper laugh out loud moments.

I found it unforgivable they didn't flip the roles of DMX and Dacascos, he was just too wasted in that one, and I expected more from a Dacascos vs. Jet Li battle. Then again Dacascos AND Jet Li vs DMX would have been comedy gold.

I've only scene his major end battle in KB5, and it's admittedly great, but I really need to watch that in full.

And I didn't know he was on ArtOfAction, so thanks, I'll check that out now!

I knew I had seen him somewhere else recently, John Wick 3 was the one! Thanks Cas, I will try and pick this up at some point.

Excited for this. Spent ages waiting for it to show up on a streaming service but ended up buying the DVD a few months ago. I think I got the itch after getting the Crying Freeman UHD.

I absolutely love this film - was one of the first DVDs I ever bought. Great to see that it's the Director's Cut coming, as the original cut has the awful soundtrack, as Cas says, but also removes so much of Mark Dacascos' motivation as a character. Provided they don't screw up the disc (and it is 88 Films' first 4K, so that's not a given), this is a must-have for me.

Is anyone else slightly concerned by this though (taken from the Zavvi & HMV descriptions):

"High Definition (1080p) presentation of the Extended Director's Cut in 2.35:1 aspect ratio from a brand new 4K HD scan of the original camera negative."

I've tweeted at 88 Films to ask if they can clarify.

Release delayed to 8th August 2022
(originally 27th June)

Last edited:
88 Films link and updated release details added to OP.

88 Films states you can pre-order now but simply shows Out of Stock, is that common ordering directly from them?

88 Films states you can pre-order now but simply shows Out of Stock, is that common ordering directly from them?
Why can't i pre-order an item that is listed in coming soon?

We don't like to keep too many pre-orders on the system in case we lose track of them and orders fall through the cracks, plus inevitably release dates can change and we don't want to hold your money for too long if we're moving release dates around.

Already pre-ordered. Big Dacascos fan, one of my favourite action stars tho not my favourite of his really great films. Hope we see more of his films make their way to 4K :)

This is in the HMV Black Friday 25% off offer. I just got it for £18.74.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom