• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Drinking water at kids soft play areas

7ofnine

If a childrens soft play area has a policy of not allowing customers to consume their own food and drink (including water), are they obliged to provide free drinking water on the premises? Is their any legal requirement on this?

paul cliff

if someone told me stop drinking form a bottle of water because I didnt buy it from them I think I'd tell them where to stick it.

At the end of the day, what are they gunna do? kick you out? :rotfl:

If they kick off, just report the member of staff and say they were very rude to you in front of your children :smashin:

Phil57

if someone told me stop drinking form a bottle of water because I didnt buy it from them I think I'd tell them where to stick it.

At the end of the day, what are they gunna do? kick you out? :rotfl:

If they kick off, just report the member of staff and say they were very rude to you in front of your children :smashin:

No way am I saying it is the right policy of any business to prevent customers from consuming water not purchased at the premises, but I will say that it is not right to lie to the management putting an employees livelihood at risk.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
far as I was aware no place can stop you taking water in with you (unless its dangerous or a restaurant). I would have thought that especially with kids it would be important as not everyone earns a millions bucks a year and can afford to buy water at shop rates.

I remember the cinemas saying no to all drinks, but then in recent times they've allowed pure water. Perhaps a few people fainting changed their (legal) minds?..lol

kBm

Distinguished Member
If a childrens soft play area has a policy of not allowing customers to consume their own food and drink (including water), are they obliged to provide free drinking water on the premises? Is their any legal requirement on this?

Not sure about customers, but for employees there has to be a supply of water, with a drinking vessel.

Surely it has toilets? They have to supply water to the bowls.......:devil::D

7ofnine

On previous occasions the staff have told us we can't bring any food/drink, including our own water. They won't provide tap water, and the only option is to buy small bottles of water at £1.80 each. This is on top of the entrance fee of £4.30 per child and £0.50 per adult.
The food policy I can understand, but water?! The kids get hot running around, and really need to drink.

JUS

Where's the place. Sounds pretty cheap to me :D I'd either vote with my feet and go somewhere else after lodging a complaint at the price of the water....or...err....as KBm said drink from the toilets :rotfl:

Bigger rip off would be my local cinema...I took my daughter and 5 of her friends. They had one drink each and shared popcorn - one tub between 2 of them and the total bill (with cinema tickets) was £100!!! :eek: They don't search your bags but if they see you with anything they will "look after it until you leave".

I remember a law saying shops etc have to provide a toilet to a pregnant woman...I haven't heard anything about water to thirsty kids.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
We have a couple of soft play areas around here who all have a similar policy, however, no one has enforced it on us yet. One of them offer 1 free juice with the ticket price, which I think is good.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
We always took drinks for the kids to soft play. Obviously, we made sure they didn't take it on the equipment, but both our kids had a cup with a non-spill lid that was always available when they were 1 or 2 years old.

Thesedays we tend to buy a big jug of squash (£2) from the center and have it on the table ready for when they come back drenched in sweat and bright red. :rolleyes:

Some of these places really do try to screw you over for extra income, the food is normally over priced and there are coin-op games, crane grabbers, sweet dipensers and rides scattered all over the place. It's bad enough paying through the nose to get in, but then the kids want pennies for all the games/rides/etc as well. :(

7ofnine

Some of these places really do try to screw you over for extra income, the food is normally over priced and there are coin-op games, crane grabbers, sweet dipensers and rides scattered all over the place. It's bad enough paying through the nose to get in, but then the kids want pennies for all the games/rides/etc as well. :(

True, you can only afford so many games of air hockey at £1 a go.
Thing is, adults used to get in for free, but now they charge. Fair enough I suppose as I have a lot of fun playing on the big slides :D
But come on, water should be free. Or if they can't be bothered filling up from the tap, I don't see any problem with bringing your own bottle.

Downinja

Distinguished Member
Find out what sort of bottle juice they sell, and take some in a bag.

It's mostly always Fruit Shoots.

Grab a coffee, and sit down and chill out, I usually find there is that many kids running around, the staff are too busy to care.

paul cliff

No way am I saying it is the right policy of any business to prevent customers from consuming water not purchased at the premises, but I will say that it is not right to lie to the management putting an employees livelihood at risk.

yeah true...though doesn't sound like they give a toss about customers anyway so I can't see them taking a complaint seriously...

just don't go there any more, plenty of parks around I'm sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom