Drilling through wall into chimney to hide cables? Practical??

G

Grizelda

Hi all

I'm a newgirl to this forum - and the DIYer with the job of mounting a lovely Samsung LE40N73BDX over the fireplace...

My question is...is it practical to drill a hole straight through my chimney breast into the chimney flue and drop the cables down to the fireplace. From there it's relatively easy to run the cables under the hearth and away to all the other gadgets..

Obviously this fireplace is unused!!!

Anyone done this? any clues how thick the brickwork might be? I have a big scarey SDS drill and I'm not afraid to use it....:D

serial killer

Novice Member
would depend on the cables you plan to use to link your stuff up to the tv. if your using a scart then your gonna need to be drilling a big hole and are gonna need a core drill to do it.

the chimney is gonna be normal brick and the age of the chimney will deside ammount of space inside normally the newer the smaller its true they dont make em like they used to lol

dafinity

Novice Member
Should be fairly easy, and probably only a double thickness of bricks for the flue, but mentioned...do not underestimate the size of the hole for power leads and scarts. Its not like you can make a wide slot, you will have to make a 2-3 inch diameter hole.....thats big.

Would also be concerned about resale, as a chimney with a hole is obviously a no no, and you cant just stick some polyfilla over it and hope the new owners wont notice. It needs to be properly resealed with whatever heat resistant material from the inside!!!

Have you thought about taking your cables up, into ceiling, and across and down somewhere less noticeable near your AV kit.
I went up from my plasma on the left of used fireplace and chimney and dropped down to kit on the right....
You can see my screen set up at:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206636&page=22

and the attachment on this post shows my AV kit...

Attachments

G

Grizelda

Hmmm....food for thought here....thanks chaps.:)

Dafinity's point about resale value is a very good one. Planning to move in a year or two but deperate to get rid of the gargantuan TV stand currently occupied by a 32" CRT, Xbox, Xbox 360, playstation, AV kit, switchbox and skybox! (Boyfriend is a serious gamer...)

Up and over is also something I hadn't thought of!

The chimney breast is one of those 50's ones which sticks out into the room a couple of feet - I have big cupboards either side all along the wall.

Maybe a less destructive way forward would be to fix a false wall to the existing one (I'm thinking plasterboard on batons) and drop the cables down the cavity - would also help resolve the distance from the wall issue I've read about on here??

Whatdoyouthink?

jonny round boy

Novice Member
Would also be concerned about resale, as a chimney with a hole is obviously a no no, and you cant just stick some polyfilla over it and hope the new owners wont notice. It needs to be properly resealed with whatever heat resistant material from the inside!!!
Easy - drill a 2 1/2" or 3" hole with a core drill in a position that's convenient for the cables & will be hidden when the TV is up. Then simply keep the brick slug that the core drill leaves (a cylinder of the removed material, slightly smaller than the hole you've drilled & with a pilot hole through the middle), and then when you move just cement the plug back into place, and plaster over it on the outside.

Don't use your SDS to drill the core, though. Hire the core drill & bit from a hire shop (cost £30-£40) and use that. It's a much bigger drill, but more importantly it'll have a clutch on it, which yours probably won't. If you use one without a clutch and the bit catches, then the drill will spin round & whack you really hard (can even break your arm!). So hire one with a clutch!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom