Question Drilling through for multiroom

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by D M B, Aug 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Good afternoon all,

Decided to drill through from the front room to our dining room, to feed speaker cables through for multi-room sound.

Its a typical new build - well, 4 years old - and I want to make sure i'm not going to hit anything I should whilst drilling through.

Ideally I will be going through just above the skirting board, near the outer corner of the room, so not far from an external wall.

I did read that most of the cables etc typically run quite high up from the ground, but I have no idea about plumbing etc, and where pipes etc could be routed.

Also, what sort of distance am I looking at between both walls? In other words, how far roughly am I going to be drilling through? I would imagine i'm going to need a pretty long drill bit !

Oh, another thing. I am going to need a few metres of trunking to keep things tidy, any hints on where to get this from?

Thanks for any help.

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Is it a solid wall or a stud? If stud it should be easy enough to tentatively drill a hole though and you would likely find most obstructions.

Cables and pipes use fairly logical paths in my experience. Cables drop down to sockets and pipes often run in the floor then up to the rads.

With regards to thickness, if stud or single skin block then circa 130mm including plaster finish. Where my house has been altered I have an external grade wall between 2 rooms, it is closer to 300mm thick.

What I have done for something similar is use a core drill to create a 30mm hole, that way I can run most cables through there without hassle and use a brushed plate to hide them.

3. D M B

D M B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks very much Chris.

Its a stud wall, so I should be ok.

In this instance its just fairly thin speaker cable so I will try with a fairly small hole to start with, and increase if necessary, hopefully not making too much of a mess. I will wait until the other half is out ;)

4. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Should be easy enough in that case.

With the wall being hollow an easy way to get the cables through is an unwound coat hanger. Poke it through the wall and tape the cable to it.

Wish my house was so easy