Drill for round the house

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
So, we have just purchased our first house and i have zero to little DIY know how or skill at all, but willing to learn.

Can any one point me in the right direction for a "good" drill to have for around the house use?

My first port of call is to hang a few photos (more than just hammering a nail into the wall) and shelves around the place. Now I assume *any* drill will be able to do this, but can someone give me some pointers of what to go for, what to avoid etc.

Also - any good guides out there for a novice DIY'er to follow? Once I drill the hole, then what? Do i need some kind of rawl plug? what if i completely bugger it up - is it a case of fill it in, sand it down, paint over it and then start again?

Thanks in advance.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I love my 18v Makita and get a select few decent bits and change them when blunt. Nothing worse than trying to drill a hole with a blunt bit.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
so what about all the drill bits and the actual dill heads etc? Which of them should i buy? Better to buy in a big "one box does" all type pack?
I bought a set of these and cannot fault them, though they were cheaper when I bought them.
16pc Drill All Drill Bit Set with 9pc Screwdriver Set, Diamond File, Spiral Cone Cutter & Tool Bag (445387) | Ideal World

But as long as you buy decent quality, none of these 100 drills for a tenner nonsense you cannot go far wrong, also useful to have a set of screwdriver bits for the drill/driver again get a decent brand like Bosch.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
I bought a set of these and cannot fault them, though they were cheaper when I bought them.
16pc Drill All Drill Bit Set with 9pc Screwdriver Set, Diamond File, Spiral Cone Cutter & Tool Bag (445387) | Ideal World

But as long as you buy decent quality, none of these 100 drills for a tenner nonsense you cannot go far wrong, also useful to have a set of screwdriver bits for the drill/driver again get a decent brand like Bosch.
they look a bit extreme just to put a few pictures and shelves up?!

i was thinking more along the lines of something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-2607..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=45PPXH3XSBBT55NCXFXA

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
They would be fine, the reason I went for the more extreme version is I was wall hanging several TV's and I have some solid brickwork to make some fair sized holes in for the large coach bolts.

But the ones you have chosen should be fine.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
currently its about £80 everywhere - so i will just need to pay the asking price for it.

i should have got it the other day when it was on offer.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Regarding drill bits, I'd start off with a decent 6mm & 8mm bit. From my experience, if it's mainly for shelving/pictures that's all you'll need (an the appropriate rawl plugs).

giffordpikes

I got one of these last year https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eri744com-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/9284t It works really well.

I would recommend whatever you go for get cordless. Having a spare battery is great for bigger jobs so you have one charging while using the other, but for odd jobs maybe not so necessary.

You haven't said what your walls are made of but that may also determine what you do. Our house is about 10 years old so plasterboard over breeze block which is dobbed on with blobs of plasterboard glue. This is a pain because a lot of the cavity wall/plasterboard fixings are too long.

If you need heavy duty fixings that go into the breezeblock you may need longer drill bits too.

This is a great video if you do have plasterboard.
In fact as a noob I would recommend checking out a lot of you tube vids

simonlewis

The Dude

Distinguished Member

IronGiant

It's dropped in price £2 since this morning... :clap:
What you want is something like this, ideal world had it at half price on a pick of the day sometime ago it also comes with a ten year guarantee.
Drill All Drill Bits, 16 Piece Drill Bits with 9 Piece Screwdriver Set, 4 Piece Reverse Action Drill Bits, Centre Punch and Tool Bag (442712) | Ideal World
That's very similar to the one Mr.Fraggle recommended and they both seem very expensive for what you get, what's so special about them?

ufo550

So, we have just purchased our first house and i have zero to little DIY know how or skill at all, but willing to learn.

Can any one point me in the right direction for a "good" drill to have for around the house use?

My first port of call is to hang a few photos (more than just hammering a nail into the wall) and shelves around the place. Now I assume *any* drill will be able to do this, but can someone give me some pointers of what to go for, what to avoid etc.

Also - any good guides out there for a novice DIY'er to follow? Once I drill the hole, then what? Do i need some kind of rawl plug? what if i completely bugger it up - is it a case of fill it in, sand it down, paint over it and then start again?

Thanks in advance.
Save yourself a lot of heart ache & grief, don't go drilling any holes anywhere :D

simonlewis

It's dropped in price £2 since this morning... :clap:

That's very similar to the one Mr.Fraggle recommended and they both seem very expensive for what you get, what's so special about them?
Each drill will drill through anything including metal, wood, concrete, tile, glass, they are super strong and come with a ten year guarantee, if one breaks you pay for postage and the company will send you a replacement free of charge, it's not the usual rubbish you find at B&Q.

ufo550

Each drill will drill through anything including metal, wood, concrete, tile, glass, they are super strong and come with a ten year guarantee, if one breaks you pay for postage and the company will send you a replacement free of charge, it's not the usual rubbish you find at B&Q.
Cheap tat, especially when you hit an electric cable. Plus when you lose one, it'll break your heart :D
Edit; bad grammer, most be thd gin.

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member

That is a great drill and at that price that is a lot of drill. Also increasing in price at that start of September by £20 so a decent saving on good drill.

I have also owned the Bosch one recommended at the start of this thread and for minor DIY jobs around the house that will do the job and is a very good price for it as well.

If you stay in an old property and all your walls are solid brick you may find that will struggle to drill holes into brick. I did and ended up buying a corded drill for any brick drilling I had to do.

LOL! there is nothing like a good drill thread to bring the AVF-ers out :)

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
If you stay in an old property and all your walls are solid brick you may find that will struggle to drill holes into brick. I did and ended up buying a corded drill for any brick drilling I had to do.

LOL! there is nothing like a good drill thread to bring the AVF-ers out :)
I disagree I stay in a 1925 built house and some of the brickwork is like concrete and the Bosch has handled drilling into it with ease, I still have an ancient but perfectly serviceable corded drill which I have not had to turn to since buying the aforementioned Bosch.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published