Drifting sync issues

M

Marky P

I've noticed with several Blu-Ray films I've watched having sync problems at varying parts of a film. Just watched Layer Cake & the sound went very noticeably out of sync for around 20 minutes that gradually came back into sync. This can't be a 'plasma lag' problem as it wasn't consistant. I'm using a Panny BD50, Panny TH-50Z81B telly and Arcam AVR350 receiver.

I've noticed with several Blu-Ray films I've watched having sync problems at varying parts of a film. Just watched Layer Cake & the sound went very noticeably out of sync for around 20 minutes that gradually came back into sync. This can't be a 'plasma lag' problem as it wasn't consistant. I'm using a Panny BD50, Panny TH-50Z81B telly and Arcam AVR350 receiver.

Hi Marky P. :)
What connection are you using?
All the best.

BD50 goes straight to telly via HDMI, and audio is 5.1 analogue out to receiver.

I've seen/heard variable HDMI lag on my SD DVD recorder, using optical out for the audio side. Is the combined processing of the HDMI signal at player and TV ends going to take the same time all the time? Will it always be complete within the frame period? If not, some variability in the lag is inevitable, presumably rising or falling in chunks of 20ms for a 50Hz TV, as extra frames are dropped or regained. Again, talking about SD only, there's a very definite difference in lag between discs but a less noticeable lag within any particular disc.

If you do a Google search, there's what looks like a good article on the subject on a website called Video/Imaging Design Line. It would appear that we should not hold our breath waiting for a solution!

It's the reduction of this lag which is mostly influencing my decision of which BD player to buy. On the one hand, the Samsung has the best option for connecting to legacy amplifiers, with its re-encode feature on the optical out, while the Sony 350 has an adjustable audio delay. I suppose the Sony 550 has the best of both worlds, as long as an analogue audio connection is practical, but it's not far short of double the price of the Samsung.

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom