1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRH Slimline240 motor query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Clint C, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone have any experience with the DRH Slimline240 electric screen? What I'd like to know is how noisy they are when the screen motor is in operation.

Thanks in advance.
    Clint.

2. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I personally think it is noisy, but I haven't heard any others I can't compare :thumbsdow , For my next screen I'm going to swop to a fixed screen as my screen has a few slight ripples (top to bottom) in it that I notice when watching a sideways panning shot but short of switching to a tab-tensioned I don't think you can get away from that, but have you seen the price of those :eek:

3. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Funny you should mention the price, they currently have a special on for a 180 wide electric Slimline240 for £315. I assumed that as the manual screens had such rave reviews that the electric version would be a good bet. Are you saying that you actually have one of these DRH screens and it's rippled?

Is it a whiney noise or a rumbly noise?

Clint.

4. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a Slimline240 203x114 with extra drop added at the top and it makes a rumbly sort of noise, a bit like a electric drill that has jammed and your still pressing the trigger, if you know what I mean.

The edges have curled but only within the black border, but that's to be expected.

The screen itself has a couple of very slight ripples from top to bottom that arn't noticeable in normal viewing, only when you get a sideways pan, If I'm sat below the projector the ripples/pan effect isn't that noticeable, but when we have friends round me & my wife sit on the other settee to one side and let the guests have the better seats, that's when I notice it more :(

Other than the noise & slight ripples I'm very happy with my Sony HS20/DRHslimline screen combo :) the noise is only for 30 secs (or so) as it goes up or down so I can live with it but in hindsight I'd try get a quieter screen, but as I said before next time it will be a fixed screen, so perfectly flat :thumbsup: probarbly behind motorized curtains just like the old cinemas :clap:

5. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that Wookieman, I was looking to get a quiet motor screen from a "kids in bed" point of view and don't want them waking up when I'm about to watch a film or worse when I've finished watching and putting the screen back up.

I don't suppose anyone has a short list of decent screens with quiet motors that aren't going to break the bank?

Clint.

6. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Clintc

I have a DRH slimline electric screen with a customised drop. My 3yr old sleeps above the lounge and never wakes up with the noise of the screen going up or down.

Also, the noise of the surround sound is considerably louder than the screen ever will be and that doesn't wake him up either!

For the record, he is neither a overly light or heavy sleeper.

I can vouch for the screen and the service from DRH. For the price the screen is excellent for my use with my Sanyo PLV-Z2 tht I was lucky enough to purchase from Ken at Ivojo (as part of their launch offer).

Wookieman has had the same experience as me in that the edges of the screen have curled but in the black surround only. I've been lucky in that I have no noticeable ripples on my screen so far.

Hope this helps in your decision making process.

Sanj

7. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that Sanj, very useful information.

Clint.

8. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no hijack intended.. but was thinking of ordering one of these and now not so sure!!! Do the people with edge curl keep it mostly rolled up and only down for watching? Wouldnt have thought it would curl then :confused:

Is there a backing on the screen? Mine will be hanging off ceiling, which slopes at 45deg away from top of screen.. i.e. nothing behind screen... would this affect performance?

Really unsure about my ability to retract a manual screen but dont want to pay 500squids so DRH is about it!!

Thanks! :hiya:

9. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine lives rolled up, and I think most people would do the same, after all what's the point of a retractable screen if you leave it down all the time ?
    Looking at mine it is made of some black material with a white rectangle painted on the front, mine is screwed to the ceiling (well actually into the joists) and it's mounted about 2/3 the way down my lounge/dining room, so plenty of space behind. You may need to make some brackets/blocks of wood so that the screen housing is mounted level and not leaning back/forward etc, so that the screen doesn't rub on the edge of the box when raising/lowering (if you know what I mean :rolleyes: )
    My thoughts exactly :D

10. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Wookie for info :smashin:

11. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: