tris

nero0410 said:
I picked up on the 'knack' of it quite quickly :) It's easy really I find

tris

Show off! ;)

Nero

I am thinking of ordering the 231cm screen from DRH

I have a couple of questions

why do people get hung up on 16:9 vs 4:3 screens- surely they are the same thing i.e it just means that on the 4:3 ratio one that you can position it wherever you want on the screen- lower or higher but on the 16:9 one it does not go as far down so you are limited by what you can do

also I was thinking of the IKEA 2m width blackout blind only £20! but wanted a 2.5m width blind ideally - DRH only do the 231cm one so will prob have to make do with that- but it seems such a price hike to go from £20 to £180 just for 30 cms more! is there any way of combining two smaller ikea blackout blinds and joining them together to form one screen- has anyone tried this?

anyway DRH seems like the cheapest out there otherwise

aetbaar said:
Nero
why do people get hung up on 16:9 vs 4:3 screens- surely they are the same thing i.e it just means that on the 4:3 ratio one that you can position it wherever you want on the screen- lower or higher but on the 16:9 one it does not go as far down so you are limited by what you can do

No, they are not the same. On a 16:9 screen there are black borders that leaves a white viewing area exactly 16:9 ratio. That means if you do 'force' a native (ie not letterboxed or anything by the projector) 4:3 image then the top of that image will be on the top black border -- not visible!

So it's the top border that's 'in the way'...

ismangil said:
No, they are not the same. On a 16:9 screen there are black borders that leaves a white viewing area exactly 16:9 ratio. That means if you do 'force' a native (ie not letterboxed or anything by the projector) 4:3 image then the top of that image will be on the top black border -- not visible!

So it's the top border that's 'in the way'...

Quite agreed :)

tris

what i meant was that you are not gaining anything by haveing a 16:9 ratio screen but if you have a 4:3 one then if you dont want to watch widescreen films then you get to see the full picture that would be blacked out as you said on the 16:9

can you paint blackout blinds with fabric paint effectively? i.e if i get a cream one then paint it white... cyurrently going for £50 on ebay for 2.4m wide- dont know if i can afford a drh screen

aetbaar said:
what i meant was that you are not gaining anything by haveing a 16:9 ratio screen but if you have a 4:3 one then if you dont want to watch widescreen films then you get to see the full picture that would be blacked out as you said on the 16:9

Agreed. The only reason you'd want a 16:9 border is if like me you bought the "black border will increase perceived image brightness" argument :D

aetbaar said:
can you paint blackout blinds with fabric paint effectively? i.e if i get a cream one then paint it white... cyurrently going for £50 on ebay for 2.4m wide- dont know if i can afford a drh screen

In my case, since I am only getting a small 1.6m wide screen, the smallest manual slimline DRH, for £105, the hassle of screen DIY was not worth it.

Do you know if you can paint a cream blackout blind white and use it as a screen?- would the DRH screen be a lot better? or would the DIY option I am proposing give me reasonable quality

buy a white black out blind...£20-30 from ikea as the paint will cost around half that.
as painting fabric is not a good idea also if it fails you wont have ruined a blind.

depending on the size of screen you need, £100-200 DRH screen will be worth it.
i noticed a big difference from my white blackout blind. even though my screen has a few ripples and the edges are curling, giving it a another week to settle, if it doesn't the guys at DRH have offered to replace it with no hastles.

Thanks

sounds good and I suppose worth the investment

I would go for IKEA but I want a 2.3m screen and not 2m

Does the screen get damaged with heat- I will have a radiator about 20 cm below it when watching films but I will roll it away the rest of the time?

With the DRH screens there is either the regular ones which for a 241cm width is £195 or for the slimine 231cm width it is £178

they are both the same material but the regular does not have the borders?

i am thinking that with the 241cm at least I can get a biger picture? even though it may not be slimline

ashame they dont do the slimline one in 241 cm?

Finally got one of these the slimline 231x 130 one- am told it will be here tomorrow- was way above my budget but what is the point of having a projector if you aren't going to view it properly-

measured that with a 230cm width the max height is 130cm for widescreen and there is nothing I watch that isn't widescreen so i went for that one- as people say should improve overall image as you are focusing on that bit i suppose

my question is now- how do i mount it- i need it on the ceiling but am reluctant about putting it through ceiling plasterboard as it may come down?? - as the brackets dont slide i can line them up with the beams

i guess i could put a thin bit of mdf attached to the ceiling the same length as the blind and then attach the blind to that- may be a bit messy?

anyone else got any other ideas?

What kind of surface have people ordered - matt white or grey? Anyone got experience with this?

aetbaar said:
i guess i could put a thin bit of mdf attached to the ceiling the same length as the blind and then attach the blind to that- may be a bit messy?

anyone else got any other ideas?

Once we have worked out the exact position where mine is going we are going to pull the floorboards up in my oldest sons room (which I am sure he will love :oops: ) and then, if the mounts dont line up with a floor beam we are going to fix some timber above the ceiling so that the projector mounts have something to bite into.

I would have tried that but I have a superking bed and it is impossible to move... and the room is quite small so would mean t aking the bed out completely to get at the floorboards

I will try putting them in the plasterboard and see how strong it looks before securing the screen- hopefully i will hit a beam by chance where i want it

will let you know how it goes

ordered from DRH yesterday at 12 noon and arrived today at 10am- brilliant

got the 8 foot one- its massive!

anyway will try and mount later when i get home

I will try putting them in the plasterboard and see how strong it looks before securing the screen- hopefully i will hit a beam by chance where i want it

:nono: Dont take a chance, with the correct fixings plasterboard can be quite accomodating. Dont use plastic plugs but use a decent sized toggle fixing or a collapsible anchor. The toggle has the disadvantage that you cant take the screw out without losing the toggle, the collapsible anchor has metal legs that collapse behing the plasterboard and spread the load over the area and is then fixed in place.
If you want to test it, hang double the load from the fixing. If theres a problem you'll find it before you hang you screen over your ming vase.

Trust me on this, I install cables - AV and electrical all the time and with most single board ceilings (ie. 12mm) with a manual screen you will have it on the floor in no time.
Take the time and effort to lift the dreaded floor boards and place support battens between the joists where necessary. Or you WILL regret it. Its a crap job to do but you only have to do it once (God willing!!)

CH

aetbaar said:
ordered from DRH yesterday at 12 noon and arrived today at 10am- brilliant

got the 8 foot one- its massive!

anyway will try and mount later when i get home

Having just ordered my screen from drh im looking forward to receiving it it seems like they offer a good service from the comments ive read.

Cheers

Riaan :thumbsup:

:hiya: guys and girls

I thought i would give you an update on the purchase of my drh slimline electric screen i received it in very good time by city-link and my first impressions are it looks the biz very neat and Sturdy it is a big improvement on my last screen (the wall) :laugh: all i have to do now is fit the beauty :) . I will let you know the results soon.

Cheers

Riaan

At last i got round to fitting my screen but it was worth the wait nice flat surface and it is a big improvement from shooting on the wall. top marks drh i will recommend you to anybody interested in buying a screen :smashin:

Riaan said:
At last i got round to fitting my screen but it was worth the wait nice flat surface and it is a big improvement from shooting on the wall. top marks drh i will recommend you to anybody interested in buying a screen :smashin:

Thanks Riaan

Glad your happy with it.

Just thought I would give a quick thumbs up as well! I bought a slimline electric unit a month or so ago, my main reasons for the choice was the quality of the feedback on here and the great price offer they had on at the time! Another bonus is that DRH are a British company, now I dont stand to attention every time the national anthem is played, but it is nice to be able to keep your money within the country! Quality of the screen, fantastic, any ripples, none, supperb! Only gripe I would have would be the cost of a remote control unit, I didnt buy it due to the extra 100 quid, but its high on my Christmas list! Unless I can figure a way of making my own remote system for it! Cripes, I can smell the fuses blowing already!!

I just went for the normal 231x130 pull down screen. Should suit me fine.

Just thought I would report that I needed it delivered on a Saturday (won't fit in car, and no-one will be at home), and basically you need to order over the phone. Which is a bit of a mare because they are so busy and it takes ages for someone to answer. Still, all sorted, and was told should be here this saturday. All for an additional cost of £20. Which seems damn reasonable if you ask me.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom