1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRH Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eatstatic, Dec 9, 2003.

1. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thinking of purchasing a screen from DRH as the prices they have for screens seem very reasonable.
    Budget has been blown for screen so I am on a tight budget.

It would be a manual 16:9 screen that i am looking at probably the 173x97.

Just wondering if any of the forum members have bought screens from them and what sort of feedback they might have.

Cheers for any info.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought a 241cm drh manual.

Only a week old so cant pass comment on durability.

What I can say is that the spring mechanism is very good.

A gentle tug down and it retracts by itself at a steady rate, like a soft eject mechanism.

A bit tricky to put up.

The brackets have 4 holes. The bottom one is accessible and is for securing once the the top ones have taken the weight.

The top holes are a keyhole shape where the screw head goes in a wide part and slides into the thin part. No screws were provided. the wide part is 8mm and the thin 5mm. This isnt alot. The screws i used were no.10 with a 7mm head. So drilling 2 holes 243.7cm apart with +/-1mm margin of error was a bit daunting. Fortunately it worked first time (once i found brick rather than mortar!!!

It would have been better if the brackets were designed to move a little or to have a larger aperture for the screw. But thats my only criticism

3. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    nunew33 thanks for the reply, how I am going to fix the thing hadn't even occured to me so that maybe a consideration.

Will also be using the screen with a Z2, what is pic quality like and at what distance is the projector from the screen/your seating distances etc.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have that size screen from DRH but its the electric one. As with nunew33 I've not had it long but i'm pleased so far. I also thought the mounting could have been a little more user friendly.

My Z2 sits 10ft away from the screen with my viewing distance at about 11ft. I have the PJ 'zoomed' right out so it pretty much as close as it can get for that size screen.

pics here

IMHO picture quality is fantastic, but it is my first PJ.

5. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Weirdfish, cheers for the info.

Looking at your site also seems to have answered a few more questions I had as I was concerened about fitting the screen in front of a window. Also because there is a radiator where I want to fit it. Don't know how this might effect the way the screen hangs or if it will effect it at all.

So far it is looking promising for the DRH screen unless anyone has any other alternatives.

Also liked the site, has given me a couple of ideah's that the better half actualy likes!:smoke:

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My z2 is 3.34 meters away from the screen (so is my viewing distance). The Z2 isnt fully zoomed and can go to just under 9ft wide. Pictures here.

Ive yet to avia calibrate it. But im wowed by the image (but then again, like Wierdfish, I lost my Big Screen cherry to this projector, so its bound to have a wow factor. If you look at the pics I have of my 29inch sony with the projector, the image on the telly looks better in terms of brightness. This could be due to the proj not being calibrated or the projector brightness being affected by the ambient light emitted by the telly.

I watched my first full programme last night. I christened it with the first episode of Trumpton from DVD last night (with my 3 year old son-im not that sad:D).

Regarding the fixing. When I first started drilling I hit perished mortar on the first two attempts. had I failed on the third attempt, I would have made wooden mounts for each bracket. This would be a much easier way to install.

7. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    nunew33, you sure your son watched Trumpton with you?

From the photos that looks like the set up I would have liked, but stuck with the one room (living/cinema room). I take it that is a dedicated home cinema room you have and that you havn't turffed your son out of his bedroom?

Z2 will also be first projector 4 me so just wanting to get everything right with screens, cables e.t.c.
    The making yer own brackets thing could be a very good idea, might give it a go, either with wood or some discreete angle brackets (curtesey of work:smashin: ).

Weirdfish, If you were to buy the screen again would you have got a bigger one? Just wondering as I don't want to think that I could have got a bigger picture.

Cheers for the input chaps.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My son sleeps in the shed now!!!

Its a spare bedroom. Sofa will be a sofabed so were simply using what used to be occasionally used space

I think DRH sell extension brackets

Watched my second full feature tonight, Thomas the tank engine series 5 episodes 1-3!!!

9. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Yes.

My plans were originally based around the spec of the Z1 so screendoor was an issue. No such issues with the Z2 but I kept with my plans just in case, but there was no need.

That said, I am still pleased with what I have and I'm not thinking of changing it, not that I'd be allowed to:rolleyes:

10. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another option for discrete installation on my site :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/warren.alexander/ht/ht.html

I've got the electric DRH, and it seems very good to me.

The PJ is 10 feet from the screen and seating is approx 15 feet from it I guess. Very nice image, although I do get some light bounce on the screen from the light walls, but this is my lounge and I can't live day to day with a dark room. It's not a problem to me, but it probably would be to some manic tweakers here :D
    One thing to bear in mind is that the screen material isn't totally opaque, so if you are mounting in front of a window, you'll need some sort of light control on that window as well....

edit - the service from DRH was excellent as well....

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I liked DRH so much I bought 2! one for me and one for my local film society!! Like Woz says service is excellent

12. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Woz,

Like it lots, can't do that where i want the screen as all the floor joists run the wrong way, very nice though. Won't show our lass the pictures because I know what she will say.

My seating position is 3.5m away from the screen and the projector will be 2.7m (for now that is) away from the screen so I recon that the 179x93 screen will be the right size. Eventually will be ceiling mounted above seating position when the time comes.

What do you chaps think about screen size....right choice?

Purchase will be made as soon (not soon enough) as I get paid, I take it that everybody bought the 'matt' screens?

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep Matt

Eatstatic if you will eventually have it 3.5 away why not for the next screen up
    Having an oversize screen for a while will save you some money

14. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmm... will give it some thought, probably would be ok with 173x97.

But then again.... Will have a play with z2 for screen sizes and distance.