1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRH Screens purchase

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sanj, Jun 22, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Having purchased a Z2 a while ago I am now getting round to buying
    an electric screen to go with it. After reading numerous mails by your good selves I have decided upon the DRH slimline 240 screen.

The screen needs (due to cost) to have a dual purpose in that I need it to block out a set of patio doors whilst in use. The patio doors are 233 cm in width and 206 cm in height. Now the DRH screen's fabric width is 241 so that is fine. The height is 180, so I need to get an extra drop on it of 26 cm. Having spoken to David at DRH they can do this for me (excellent). Now time for the (stupid) question - Should I get the extra black drop added at the top or the bottom?

I am in two minds as to ceiling mount the projector or coffee table mount it since we have just moved into a brand new Redrow house and the missus may not be too happy about me ripping it apart already.

Now the other issue is how to mount the screen? For the screen fabric to block out the window completely the screen casing needs to be flush with the wall at the top edge of the window recess. The brackets that are available from DRH are ones that are used for hanging the screen away from the wall to allow for angled projection so are no good to me.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated since I want to order this asap before the money gets allocated elsewhere in all the house stuff that goes with moving into a new house! :)

Ta,

Sanj

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    in my fairly novice experience of projectors id advise putting the extra material where it suits. For example having the material at the top means that the image will be lower. With a lower image it may be close to the floor and then look a little feeble. On the other hand with the blackout material on the bottom the screen could be too high and give you a neck ache. It really depends on the situation and maybe you should try sitting down and seeing what a comfortable height is (if you can get access to the new room).

That could also be dependent on whether you ceiling mount (a projector should be somewhere in the middle of the picture (height wise) or 10 or so percent above below the edge of the picture. If you have it on a coffee table then you may need to use lens shift or keystone to stop the 'squishing' of the image. If you have the picture low and ceiling mount then you could also get the same problem. It is your choice and I am still undecided in my situation but probably if you can tidy up the wires ceiling mount looks better.

As far as im aware the drh screen in general come with wall mounting holes so they should just screw in (either the ceiling or wall directly obove the window).Good luck, Chris

3. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Chris,

I'll try to mock up what the screen will look like tomorrow and work out what's best.

Now another question's popped up. Do I go for the Matt white screen from DRH or the Rear (and front) projection material which is grey?

Having read a number of people's reviews about the Z2 and seen that some recommend the grey screen to enhance the contrast I'm wondering which material to go for? I like to watch movies with the projector set to low lamp mode and wonder if the grey material screen will reduce the lamp output too much?

The screen is going into a lounge that is 25 foot by 14 foot which has a bay window at one end (with heavy curtains across it) and the patio doors and windows at the other. The carpet is a cream colour and the walls are a mustard colour. As you can see this is not ideal for a 'cinema' style setup. Hence the need to enhance the picture as much as possible.

Ta,

Sanj

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    You'll need 12 to 16ft lamberts in a fully light controled room:

pj lumens / screen area x gain = ft lamberts.

800 / 46.5sqr ft x 1 (unity gain) = 17.2 ft lamberts.

Taking into account that the lamp will dim in time, and that manufacturers figures can be a bit misleading, you can reduce that figure by up to 40%.

The DRH grey material is 0.8 gain at best, so:

800 / 46.5sqr ft x 0.8 = 13.7 ft lamberts

Using a 0.8 gain screen means you'll have almost 14ft lamberts from new, with it dimming over time. Do you have a white wall? A good clean freshly painted matt white wall will give you a gain very similar to a screen with unity gain, so will be a good measure of your pj. The mustard will obviously affect the colour, but may also be somewhat less than unity gain, so may be a reasonable guide to light reflection from a grey screen with 0.8 gain. Worth a try.

ELyrics advice is good, and a rule of thumb for screen height is to have your eye level when seated at approximately one third up from the bottom of the screen. So if your eye level is 40 ins, then your eyes should be approx 23ins from the bottom of the screen. Personal preferance on your part may prefer something different, but it's a starting point. The bottom of my screen (84 x 47.25) is about 18ins from the floor IIRC and seems fine to me after 4 years.

HTH

Gary.

5. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that very comprehensive reply!

I will put your advice into practice tonight and let you know the results.

Thanks both,

Sanj :)

6. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Having messed about with the layout of our lounge and tried out the Z2 on the mustard walls I've gone and ordered a DRH slimline 240 Matt white 16:9 screen, width 231 cm custom drop of an extra 26 cm (10") today.

Unfortunately due to the high demand of screens due to the footie I probably won't get one for two weeks.

Oh well I can sort out the rest of the room whilst waiting.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup: