1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRH Screen V Blind V Wall : Screen Wins

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ianfromnotts, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    After rearranging the room the ceiling mounted projector panny 300 was too far from the Ikea Roller blind to get a picture small enough to fit. Net result the picture is on both roller blind and wall (magnolia colour)!

Side by side comparison well the greens and browns were better on the wall the blues awful and detail think the blind won there too. So the silution had to be a big cheap screen about 8 foot wide. As blinds seldom go past 2m and custom built ones are way to expensive it had to be a proper screen but being a cheap skate low cost too.

Nothing the right size on ebay.
    Found da lite 96" square at about £130
    But really wanted a 16:9 and DRH had goone feedback so ordered a 96" 4:3 slimline (I know - ticked wrong box on order form by accident and didnt click till I powered the PJ up) for £178.

What can I say - went up in about 20 minutes all in very quick very easy. Took far longer to line the PJ up properly. The black borders are great really miss the top one (dont see it as top is rolled in the case on 16:9) as the light hits the case marginally or I have to have a white border at top.

So the big question is what does the extra £158 over Ikea get you the answer:

Benefits
    More realistic colours
    Brighter Image
    Sharper Image

Negatives
    I havent mastered the action to get the screen to retract takes several attempts but getting easier

Overall - well worth the money. If I was really skint I could live with the roller blind but wouldnt want to go back now. Hope this helps some one facing the same choice.

PS ordered from DRH web on saturday am arrived Tuesday AM

For ref: Verdict based on sky signal converted to component and passed through an Iscan Ultra. Might switch the DVD on one day soon.

Ian

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Interesting, thanks.

Were there any ripples in the Ikea blind? I have two of them, navy blue used to blackout the windows, and the 2m wide one has noticable ripples. Also how flat is the new screen?

...PJ

3. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Ripples - the Ikea blind has some but I never really noticed them when I was watching a film. The DRH curls inwards on the outside edges - suspect it is something to do with the back border coating but doesnt affect the white area. What is noticable afterwatching for longer is that Sky isnt really suitable for 96" wide viewing - 82 was ok in my opinion.

The other notable observation is that the DRH screen lets light through from the back which the Ikea blind did not - having to mount the ikea blind in the window recess to act as black out.

Ian