1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drh "lite " screen - any good? hints needed! please help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamiev, Jan 5, 2004.

1. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi, i am thinking of getting a drh lite screen wich is the one wich pulls out from a base on the floor (easily portable). this would go infront of my tv which has the centre speaker below it. Q:
    1.would the sound from the centre speaker be ok with the screen a few inches away?
    2.would the screen vibrate?
    3.are these screens any good?
    4.are they rigid enough (it comes with a metal pole that runs verctically up the back) not bad for £150!
    5.if i buy a screen and the image is smaller than anticipated so there is some white parts of the screen around the edges not in use would this be a problem or not?? or should i buy the projector first to get an idea of size then get the screen??

any helpfull points would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    I'll try to answer some if I can..

1. The sound may be muted/attenuated as the screen isn't peforated/weaved to allow the sound through. You may or may not find this a problem though, depending on how critical your ears are.

2. Being too close can cause the screen material to be affected by the speaker cones moving, and I think there's a recommended distance (12ins maybe?) to alleviate this. Horn speakers and perf screens are the cinemas solution to the problems with perf screens I believe.

3. Not had one myself, though other people on this forum have used their other models and appear quite happy with them. They're good value.

4. Don't know, sorry.

5. Probably better to get the pj so that you can be sure your seating distance and screen size is OK - use a bed sheet or similar as a temorary measure just to see.

HTH

Gary.

3. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ok, thanks gary.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My center speaker was obscured by my dropdown drh screen and it sounded terrible, but I was able to move it beneath the tv.

5. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    weirdfish: u think i should get a drop down then, or try a portable.? the lass wont be happy!!!!

6. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'd get a dropdown but my wife was quite keen on getting the pj & screen so I didnt have the wife issue :smashin:

Also it was a bit of a faff setting it all up and getting everything square and level. I wouldnt want to have to mess about like that every time I wanted to use it. I just lower the screen and turn stuff on. Even that gets tedious;)

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i use a drop down screen over a bay window, you dont notice it at all after a couple of days,and u dont have 2 mess about setting it up , just pull and view