DrGekko's M&K '300' 7.2.4 Atmos & Music Media Room (2019)

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
**Update 20/5/19**

Hey folks... after a long while and quite a few changes and upgrades, I'm delighted to share pics of our revamped Dolby Atmos Media Room. Currently we're using a Sony LED 75 inch display but I'm waiting to have an Epson TW9400 pro-UHD projector installed as well as a Draper ReAct 3m electric screen in the next couple of weeks. I've added the new pics but you may find the evolution journey diary useful for your projects.

Demo_room1.jpg demo_room2.jpg demo_3.jpg demo_4.jpg

Visuals

Sony BRAVIA KD75XD9405 75 inch LCD display
Sony UHD-X800 player
Xbox One X
Sky Q

Audio

7.2.4 Dolby Atmos System:

Anthem MRX720 AVR with Parasound450 4 channel power amp.
Sony UHD-X800 player
3x M&K IW300 LCRs
4x M&K S300Ts surrounds and rears
4x M&K IW150 MkII ceiling atmos
2x M&K X12 subs

2.2 Music System:

Lyngdorf TDAi3400 True Digital Integrated Amplifier
2x M&K IW300 L&R (using same pair of M&K X12s)

And now follows the historical account.... Enjoy!

Hi everyone. My family and I moved house in September 2015 and there's so much to be done but all in good time. Obviously I really miss our cinema room. For the time being however, I've set up the previous owner's snooker room for our family tv lounge. The room is pretty big - approximately 22ft x 15ft. I'm using the gear from my previous TV lounge - standard panasonic 50 inch 2D plasma, Onkyo AVR818 receiver and MK MP7s as the fronts, M4 tripole rears and a single MK Xenon SB12 sub. I also subscribed to Sky again when we moved in so that replaced the Humax for TV. The kit is all in the rack which neatly fits in the space on the left of TV. Pics attached.

Oh yeah, when I headed the thread as "interim" - yes, there's a project in mind. But all in good time.

The main reason for showcasing this not-unusual nor particularly special project is simply because it's old school. Some of you may understand what I mean. It reminds me of my very first projector set up. That sensation of seeing a large image of your favourite movie for the first time at home. I recall the very first day using a plain wall and then a white bedsheet before getting my first pull-down screen. So for now, I'm excited again.

In the short term, I plan to replace the existing light switch for dimmer - this should make a significant difference to the ambience of watching anything. Also I'm intending to have two subs rather than the single one at present. As time goes on, obviously a major declutter and redecoration plan and then replacing the TV for a 65 inch "thin" panel - no idea yet as to which one as long as it's less than £2k. I don't understand the current technology much so I need to read into it. Then I'll be quite happy with the room for TV, games and enjoying movies occasionally. The kids can then have the room to themselves whilst the grownups can eventually enjoy "real" theatre once it's made hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_7509.JPG
    IMG_7509.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,639
  • IMG_7510.JPG
    IMG_7510.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_7511.JPG
    IMG_7511.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,462
  • IMG_7513.JPG
    IMG_7513.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,494
Last edited:
I watched a couple of movies recently and to be honest, I just couldn't get used to the comparatively small image sitting 4m away from what I was used to. I did some random searching and found a really cheap screen online - 2.35:1 electric screen, 104" for £185! No idea what it'll be like but I thought at that price, who cares. It's got to be better than not having a larger image! So hopefully that'll be installed next week.

104" Matt White 2.35:1 Electric Anamorphic Projection Screen - Matt White - Electric Screens | Platinum Home Cinema

This weekend, I've also decided that the the room space requires 2 subs rather than the single one I'm using at present. So I'll be getting a pair of MK V12 subs, one for each corner. That should suffice for some smoother and more powerful bass when required. I'll also ask the installer to consider shifting the stereo speakers further away to the wall edges, just to widen the front sound stage.

Sounds like the bug is kicking back in,seriously that is a nice large room ,
is this the room you have plans for.
You last room was one of my favourites on here so have very high expectations from you when you start

Sounds like the bug is kicking back in,seriously that is a nice large room ,
is this the room you have plans for.
You last room was one of my favourites on here so have very high expectations from you when you start

Yes, the room is large, it used to house a full size snooker table. But I much prefer TV to playing snooker. Lol

In answer to your question, no, this will be mainly a TV lounge but I'm setting things up to watch movies too. The proposed cinema room is to be built within a new complex extension adjacent to the existing house. The architect is coming up with plans so should be able to show me something in a few weeks.

Mods - just wondering, is this the right forum for this or should it be in DIY section?

I watched a couple of movies recently and to be honest, I just couldn't get used to the comparatively small image sitting 4m away from what I was used to. I did some random searching and found a really cheap screen online - 2.35:1 electric screen, 104" for £185! No idea what it'll be like but I thought at that price, who cares. It's got to be better than not having a larger image! So hopefully that'll be installed next week.

104" Matt White 2.35:1 Electric Anamorphic Projection Screen - Matt White - Electric Screens | Platinum Home Cinema
Did you get the screen?

Hey Russ, yes I bought it and it arrived the next day. It was installed today along with the projector.

The main challenge today was that the Vogel's mount I purchased was too small for the gigantic X75. However, the install team are excellent. They provided a ceiling mount which which was still not wide enough for the screw holes on the projector… so they cut some MDF to the same shape of the projector which was attached to the screw holes. They could then fit the mount to the MDF correctly. The job isn't quite finished, we need to hide the cables a little better but at least I can watch movies on the big screen. I must say I was really excited to see the image… just like old times. I'm just so used to watching movies projected on a screen now, spoilt perhaps but to me, that's how a movie should be watched.

I also added my Sonos Connect Amp so at least I can hear my music libraries via the speakers too.

I didn't get much of chance for any decent pics, I will when I'm watching something worthy.

Some of the technical compromises for those wanting to do this "properly" - obviously the sound from the front speakers is diminished slightly as the screen isn't acoustically transparent. But for what I paid for it, I'm not at all bothered. The single small sub creates a little bass which adds a low frequency, muddy depth… I would prefer a pair of more powerful, punchier subs. I maybe tempted to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • IMG_7599.JPG
    IMG_7599.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMG_7605.PNG
    IMG_7605.PNG
    323.2 KB · Views: 1,345
  • IMG_7609.PNG
    IMG_7609.PNG
    303.8 KB · Views: 1,335
Last edited:
My in-laws visited today so I put on a bit of Bollywood for them with tea and snacks… So I could escape and post on the forums. Lol.

Also I've decided to add a pair of MKSound V12 subs as per Rich's install.

Attachments

• IMG_7639.JPG
    IMG_7639.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 1,309
  • IMG_7650.JPG
    IMG_7650.JPG
    905.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_7651.JPG
    IMG_7651.JPG
    707 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_7657.JPG
    IMG_7657.JPG
    875.6 KB · Views: 1,284
Thats a big old room mate!

Bet you can't wait to put together another cinema room! :clap:

Thats a big old room mate!

Bet you can't wait to put together another cinema room! :clap:

It's a bit of fun whilst the dream develops. I'm really impressed with screen to be honest for the price. The motor is really quiet and even the tab tensioned screens are very reasonable. Superb choice for start up home cinemas before you consider acoustically transparent screens.

The room is huge and is mainly used as a playroom for the kids... eventually I want them to use it as their tv/movie and general chillout area, whilst adult serious av movie enthusiasts can indulge in the dedicated room.

I'm itching to get a bigger tv though... anyone wishing to sell their 65 inch to me? ;)

decent price, so thumbs up for the screen?

I think you will be very pleased with a of V12's. I ran them with my 300 system for almost a year. Now dropped in a pair of X10's as need a bit more impact for clients.

Last edited:
beecee - honestly, the screen is excellent for the price, I love how quiet and smooth the motor is. Even the tab tensioned one's are cheap. You can't go wrong at that price for a start-up set up and I wouldn't spend any more unless I need acoustically transparent (which I will for the dedicated room... that'll probably be £££!!)

richmagnus - I didn't know you're an installer? Cool! What's your website? The V12s arrived yesterday, Rob kindly sold me some ex-demo units. I've installed them and just set them to phase 90, crossover at 80dB and increased volume to half. I'm really pleased with them. No more half-rumbling now, this is solid bass. The only problem I have now is I'm comparing the MP7s to how my S150 MK IIs were (I know, totally incomparable) and I'm getting more desperate and excited to have a dedictaed home cinema again. Lol

I think I can tweak things better by running Audyssey again though.

For the dedicated room, I've decided to get S300 fronts for sure and another X12... unless it's better to get 4x X10s... depends on the size of the room and layout, we'll see. I'm not so sure about S300Ts vs S150Ts... it just seems like a lot of money for surround effects if I'm honest. I'll have to demo them I guess.

Anyway, back to this thread topic... pics attached. Lovely subs.

So in summary - for me, multiple subs I think work better, depending on room volume.

Attachments

• IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • IMG_7721.JPG
    IMG_7721.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,187
beecee - honestly, the screen is excellent for the price, I love how quiet and smooth the motor is. Even the tab tensioned one's are cheap. You can't go wrong at that price for a start-up set up and I wouldn't spend any more unless I need acoustically transparent (which I will for the dedicated room... that'll probably be £££!!)

richmagnus - I didn't know you're an installer? Cool! What's your website? The V12s arrived yesterday, Rob kindly sold me some ex-demo units. I've installed them and just set them to phase 90, crossover at 80dB and increased volume to half. I'm really pleased with them. No more half-rumbling now, this is solid bass. The only problem I have now is I'm comparing the MP7s to how my S150 MK IIs were (I know, totally incomparable) and I'm getting more desperate and excited to have a dedictaed home cinema again. Lol

I think I can tweak things better by running Audyssey again though.

For the dedicated room, I've decided to get S300 fronts for sure and another X12... unless it's better to get 4x X10s... depends on the size of the room and layout, we'll see. I'm not so sure about S300Ts vs S150Ts... it just seems like a lot of money for surround effects if I'm honest. I'll have to demo them I guess.

Anyway, back to this thread topic... pics attached. Lovely subs.

So in summary - for me, multiple subs I think work better, depending on room volume.
I'm in the process of setting up my own home cinema business launching in the new year.

Very impressed, neat job.

How would you say this set-up compares to the Model-S system that you've heard at Rob's? I know that's still a more expensive set-up but it's not a million miles away.

The reason I ask is because I'm seriously considering the S300 system but if I can really push the boat out, I may wait and save more to get the Model-S.

The Model S is a higher fidelity system, more detailed,far more flexible with the P200 processor allowing for a ridiculous amount of speakers locations and has RoomPerfect on all channels. It is my favourite system. The SL systems do things that other systems can't.

This 300 system uses a Denon 7200 with L&R being powered by a Lyngdorf TDAI,this allows L&R and subs to be EQ'd by RoomPerfect. 2 channel music is fantastic.

I may well drop in some Lyngdorf SDA power amps in the future which will bring it another step closer.

The Model S is also aesthetically more pleasing.

If I had the £ a Model S would be in my horizon. If it is out of reach then a 300 system is where I would go.

Nothing major other than to say the surrounds have been mounted in better positions rather than behind on window sills. And also the power and HDMI leads have been hidden nicely for the projector.

Attachments

• IMG_7803.JPG
    IMG_7803.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_7804.JPG
    IMG_7804.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 1,122
New house for me also and been spending on a few new bits and bobs. Yet to decide on the screen as I think my only option will be to drop it down in front of main speakers , so will need to be acoustically transparent. Will follow this with interest.
I have a plan to extend the front room with the kit at one end which is about 13 feet and the room being about 22 feet long. Been researching on room sound insulation which looks like it could eat up a fair chunk of the budget. Been quoted 9k so far.
Ive gone for a big panel speaker rather than in walls this time.
Good luck with the build

Last edited:
A few major updates as follows:

Changed the panny 50 inch panel for a Samsung 60 inch - much better from the viewing distance and seems more proportionate on the wall. I was kicking myself as I really think I should have gone for a 65 inch! Lol.

Also swapped out my MKSound MP7s for XTZ Cinema 6 speakers - quite bulky for on-walls but we've got used to them now. I've discussed this on the XTZ Cinema thread over on home cinema speakers forum.

I'm now using MKSound S150Ts for surrounds - these are excellent, much more detail compared to the M4Ts - I'm using these as rear centres for the occasional movie that uses rear centres.

Attachments

• IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    530 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_8152.JPG
    IMG_8152.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 984
Hi DrGekko,

Quality clean setup you have there:thumbsup:

How are you finding the Platinum projector screen so far ?

The main challenge today was that the Vogel's mount I purchased was too small for the gigantic X75. However, the install team are excellent. They provided a ceiling mount which which was still not wide enough for the screw holes on the projector… so they cut some MDF to the same shape of the projector which was attached to the screw holes. They could then fit the mount to the MDF correctly.
Looking good :smashin:

Do you still have the Vogel projector mount or did you return it? I have the same mount for my X95. If you still have the mount you can call Vogels direct and they will send out an extension kit free of charge to you for the JVC projector.

Last edited:
After a long break and a few upgrades and refurbs along the way, it's time to share with my fellow enthusiasts.... The 2019 Media Room! Full spec listing on page 1.
I'm waiting to have my projector (Epson TW9400 LCD Pro-UHD) and screen (Draper ReAct3.0 electric tab tensioned 2.40:1) installed next week so watch this space for added pics.

Demo-room1.jpg

demo-room2.jpg

demo-4.jpg

demo-3.jpg

Looks fantastic. Very cool design. Interestingly I have gone for something very similar . In the short period of the new house move where I have had a new media room I also went through a few changes of hardware. Ended up with MK S300's LCR and a pair of 18" PSA subs. Which I have been having difficulties integrating into 2+2 music system. I borrowed the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 a couple of months back which worked wonders with my subs and main monitors. Just waiting on funds. Busy messing with the new audyssey app to see if I can improve it in the mean time.

I had the same TV up until very recently where the remote control ended up smashing the panel , kids !

Looks great, you must be really pleased. Quick question, Is the Ironman print an acoustic panel or a print?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom