DrGekko's Home Cinema

Genelec is exactly what I was thinking, but at slightly more per unit they are a touch more expensive.

A set of 3 8050's on the end of the 818 (as a processor) would sound great! And is a good budget option.

Not saying the S150s are bad speakers, but I personally prefer the sound of the Genelec's :smashin:.

Anyway back on topic, I hope the new amp brings your speakers to the next level Atif :).

Genelec is exactly what I was thinking, but at slightly more per unit they are a touch more expensive.

A set of 3 8050's on the end of the 818 (as a processor) would sound great! And is a good budget option.

Not saying the S150s are bad speakers, but I personally prefer the sound of the Genelec's :smashin:.

Anyway back on topic, I hope the new amp brings your speakers to the next level Atif :).

Lol, I have a good memory. I did at the time of your visit to Gecko suggest taking a set of the Gens along with you to your demo partner.

I've also given some thought to the Genelec active's. No idea where I can get a set for home demo. Butt ugly though IMHO. Some say the MK's are too but the MK's look like they mean business. The Genelec 8050's look like computer speakers but behind an AT screen it wouldn't matter what the speakers looked like really.

By the way, kudos to you Dan for moving away from brand MK in the above posts. Extremely refreshing to hear an AA express an interest in something they don't sell. I don't mean that with any sarcasm at all. Ultimately of course we are all audiophiles and geeks with an interest in the technology and there is so much of it out there.

Well, I don't sell MK either, I'm only involved with subs, but any and all products interest me. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Squeezing what we can from our systems is why most are here, and working to a budget is the sensible thing to do. However if you choose wisely a power amp can/will be with you for some time, I know this because i have had the same one for over 14 years now.

So say you pick one up for 2K, divide this by 10 years then divide by 52 weeks, this works out at £3.84 a week. You couldn't even get a gallon of petrel from Asda for that.

It's not hifi sobbery, just long term thinking. :)

Squeezing what we can from our systems is why most are here, and working to a budget is the sensible thing to do. However if you choose wisely a power amp can/will be with you for some time, I know this because i have had the same one for over 14 years now.

So say you pick one up for 2K, divide this by 10 years then divide by 52 weeks, this works out at £3.84 a week. You couldn't even get a gallon of petrel from Asda for that.

That's good logic. I initially had 5 Marantz MA500 monobloc power amps powering my M&K's for over 12 years and was very happy with the sound.

Then I went over to Lexicon NT power amps and now currently using an ADA PTM 6150 that is powering my S150's.

Buy a great power amp and that should last anybody a long while unless they get upgraditus on a regular basis:laugh:

Good quality receivers can make the S150's sound great - in the right size room imho. Better quality amplification = better quality sound from the S150

Anyone used 150mk2 but switched to genelecs? :)

I dont think anyone suggested using good quality amplification was hi fi snobbery. My own comment certainly wasnt intended that way, rather the other way around. Ive seen various comments on suggesting the use of something like an 818 on a set of something like S150's to be somewhat ridiculous. IMHO, such comments amount to a hi fi snobbery attitude.

If you can afford good amplification, nobody worth their salt will say this is a bad decision. If you have the budget to allow for high quality dedicated amps, then as you say, in the long run they can actually work out to be one of the most solid investments one can make to their system.

That's good logic. I initially had 5 Marantz MA500 monobloc power amps powering my M&K's for over 12 years and was very happy with the sound.

Then I went over to Lexicon NT power amps and now currently using an ADA PTM 6150 that is powering my S150's.

Buy a great power amp and that should last anybody a long while unless they get upgraditus on a regular basis:laugh:

Good quality receivers can make the S150's sound great - in the right size room imho. Better quality amplification = better quality sound from the S150

I used to run an ADA PTM160, great amp.

I used to run an ADA PTM160, great amp.

How do you find the Anthem that you are running in comparison to the ADA. Feel free to pm me if you like to save the thread getting derailed:thumbsup:

Have to admit, I have a passion for some of the older power amps that I used read about and dream of one day owning.

Thumbs up for the second hand market :thumbsup:

Hi folks. Quick update... the following changes and upgrades are imminent:

1. Upgrading my JVC HD750 to Sony VPL-VW95ES projector.
2. Upgrading my Panasonic BD60 to Oppo 103EU blu-ray player.
3. Upgrading my Onkyo 818 to Integra DTR-60.5 AV Receiver (then I'll have 7.1 set-up with extra wides)
4. Adding a pair of MK Sound S150T rear centres.

Possibly looking towards the end of next week for all this... all pending on whether my wife goes into labour with our 4th kid, earlier than expected - currently due 18th Oct!!!

Last edited:
Don't forget lots of hot water and plenty of towels, jobs a gud un.:D

Hi folks. Quick update... the following changes and upgrades are imminent:

1. Upgrading my JVC HD750 to Sony VPL-VW95ES projector.
2. Upgrading my Panasonic BD60 to Oppo 103EU blu-ray player.
3. Upgrading my Onkyo 818 to Integra DTR-60.5 AV Receiver (then I'll have 7.1 set-up with extra wides)
4. Adding a pair of MK Sound S150T rear centres.

GP's obviously get paid far too much.....

Possibly looking towards the end of next week for all this... all pending on whether my wife goes into labour with our 4th kid, earlier than expected - currently due 18th Oct!!!

...and have far too much time on their hands! :rotfl:

Seriously, good luck with both ventures - you know which event we'll all be following, don't you! ;)

Cant she wait?

We have speakers to fit.

I know! Tell me about it! I even suggested she get a c-section this weekend out of convenience... and yes, I did get a stern look and threat to be kicked in the balls (again) - :laugh:

Lol Your a quack, Needle thread? Tablets, Bucket?
Have you seen this oppo
OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition)? OPPO BDP-103D Multi Region Blu-Ray Player only £100 more..!

Joking aside, my mate delivered his wife's baby 2 nights ago at home!! :eek:

If I didn't have a Darbee already, I would have got the 103d - but I need a standalone Darbee as I have two sources, the Dune HD H1 streaming device and the blu-ray player.

Don't forget lots of hot water and plenty of towels, jobs a gud un.:D

Cheers Keith... sounds like you're experienced in the field! ;)

GP's obviously get paid far too much.....

...and have far too much time on their hands! :rotfl:

Seriously, good luck with both ventures - you know which event we'll all be following, don't you! ;)

I'll take your first comment as a joke. ;):D

As for time... well, I'll take that as the second joke! :D (I'm still sat here at work typing this).

And thank you very much indeed for your best wishes... I know the upgrade events are a highlight this year... the kid's arrival is an interesting distraction! :p

I'll take your first comment as a joke. ;):D

As for time... well, I'll take that as the second joke! :D (I'm still sat here at work typing this).

And thank you very much indeed for your best wishes... I know the upgrade events are a highlight this year... the kid's arrival is an interesting distraction! :p

:D Certainly joking on both counts (guess what my wife does? ;) )

The best wishes are sincere! :smashin:

:D Certainly joking on both counts (guess what my wife does? ;) )

The best wishes are sincere! :smashin:

I empathise with her... the future's looking bleak!! :(

Anyway, onto a more cheerful and less controversial subject! AV!!! :D

If you're ever in the Midlands mate, please do pop round for coffee and demo. ;)

Also, how's your project going buddy??

Last edited:
Good luck to your wife with the birth

I empathise with her... the future's looking bleak!! :(

Anyway, onto a more cheerful and less controversial subject! AV!!! :D

If you're ever in the Midlands mate, please do pop round for coffee and demo. ;)

Also, how's your project going buddy??

You're not wrong! :thumbsdow

Still, I'd love to pop round - but haven't visited the Midlands since I lived in Edgbaston in '83! You never know though!

Project is very busy, getting to the stage where I foresee an avalanche of questions heading my way - where does this go? How do you want this? etc. But equally, still lots more to do. And more money to spend before we get close to the cinema! :rolleyes:

If it ends up half as good as yours, I'll be pleased. You can take credit for getting my wife to allow me to have a go. It was the pictures of yours that impressed her enough to give the go-ahead! :smashin:

Of course, that also means you'll be to blame if it all goes horribly wrong! :p :D

Some interesting upgrades going on Dr Gekko. :smashin: I thought I was going for an almost complete change around, but at least I'm keeping my projector (for now anyway :rolleyes:).

I'd like to see how you get on moving to the Sony from JVC and also how you find adding more S150T at the back of the room: I should get mine fitted this weekend as side surrounds and will use either my old K5 (monopole) or K4 (tripole) speakers at the back for the time being. I was chatting to Rob about possibly using IW85 since usually surround backs are monopole, but it'll be a lot easier just to put some more S150T at the back like you.

Good luck with the upcoming baby arrival too. :thumbsup:

Some interesting upgrades going on Dr Gekko. :smashin: I thought I was going for an almost complete change around, but at least I'm keeping my projector (for now anyway :rolleyes:).

I'd like to see how you get on moving to the Sony from JVC and also how you find adding more S150T at the back of the room: I should get mine fitted this weekend as side surrounds and will use either my old K5 (monopole) or K4 (tripole) speakers at the back for the time being. I was chatting to Rob about possibly using IW85 since usually surround backs are monopole, but it'll be a lot easier just to put some more S150T at the back like you.

Good luck with the upcoming baby arrival too. :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy. Initially I was simply upgrading the amp and adding a pair of rears... but after seeing a newer gen projector in action, I was so impressed that I thought I'd upgrade this too before 4K becomes the new standard in a few years.

I'm with you on the considerations of perhaps using IW85's for the rears - you see my current S150Ts are 120cm from each side of the sofa and they sit 30cm from the rear wall. As the sofa is curved, the centre seat is only 60cm from the rear wall. I'm conscious of the fact that the S150Ts are relatively large for this gap and maybe too close to the listening position, whereas a couple of discrete smaller on-wall or in-wall speakers, I think may be a more practical solution. Anyway, I'm no expert... yo Rob! Where are ya? Wake up!! :D

Install is scheduled on Thursday 10th... my wife is being induced the day after... so fingers crossed that she doesn't go into labour too early!! ;)

I didn't realise the speakers were so close to the seating, the pictures must be deceptive as it looks bigger to me. Mine are 7' from my ears each side and the backs are 9' and they are all high up due to door frames/patio doors on the sides. The tripoles will throw the sound around more which will probably help with the shorter distances compared to monopoles which could be a bit 'obvious' if very close.

I'm speaking like I know, but I failed to get my S150T fitted last night :blush: , so I'm more going by the existing K4 tripoles and the demo at Robs of the S150T.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom