1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRG/Mastercare installation hassles

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Neil54, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Neil54

Neil54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We ordered a Techwood plasma via Dixons website at the end of December using their Interest Free credit option, and the process has been painless and efficient up to the point of the installers leaving yesterday.

While packing their gear, they suddenly said they wanted £249 installation charge (for 40 minutes work!). At no point in the ordering, confirmation, or delivery arrangement process was any installation charge mentioned, even when the delivery date was being set, and the man on the phone asked whether we wanted wall mounting, and was a socket nearby. He did not even say he was from Mastercare- the Dixons website states that delivery will be direct from the manufacturer.

I refused to pay, on the basis that I was not informed of any charge being levied, and he left with good grace saying it was happening often.

I then rechecked the FAQ on the website regarding installation, and read that installation, if chargable would be gaven as an option when confirming the order. No such option was given in our case. This was reinforced when the anonymous man phoned from the anonymous company to set delivery and failed to mention a chargable service- had he done so I would have declined, being competent in A/V matters over the past 20years.

So beware. If installers arrive and you have not paid extra, make sure of your position before they start work (I have suggested to DRG Customer Services that the operatives should ascertain the status BEFORE starting work!)

Neil

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what work was involved in the install?

3. Neil54

Neil54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They delivered and carried in 4 boxes- the £29.95 delivery charge already levied. The technician drilled 4 holes in the wall and used my own socket wrench to attach the bracket. The assistant opened the boxes and connected the speakers, then they lifted the Panel onto the brackets.

They then proceeded to make the connections (not in an optimum way), set the Tuner to autotune, and packed up their tools.

Total time on premises 40minutes. Installation charge demand for £249 which I refused to pay.

I spent 1 hour yesterday optimising the connections and the PQ improved dramatically.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last time I heard of us (Not Dixons or anything like it) quoting over £200 for a plasma wall hanging it involved an awkward hanging situation and a new aeriel being put in!
    That sounds ridiculous.
    I know we charge a fair bit for embedded installations, but I think everyone does, but not for drilling just four holesand then doing a standard tv install.
    Maybe that's why we charge more for the set, not much more though I guess.