Dressage gold

Dressage, how the hell that's an olympic event is beyond me.

Yeah, we should get moaning in there as well. We'd take a clean sweep of the medals:rolleyes:

Phil

Not a moan, an opinion. Dressage is a sport a tiny tiny percentage of the world population take part in, so I question why it is still allowed in as an olympic event.

Not the only event I think should be kicked out by the way:devil:

Bring on f1 in the next olympics.

Brazil have a great track as well

Not a moan, an opinion. Dressage is a sport a tiny tiny percentage of the world population take part in, so I question why it is still allowed in as an olympic event.

They're the ones we need more of. Gives us a better chance to win:smashin:

Phil

why because its not a massive spectator sport? Its all about horsemanship and how skilfull one is at it and definitely worth competing over.

why because its not a massive spectator sport? Its all about horsemanship and how skilfull one is at it and definitely worth competing over.

The olympic ethos faster, stronger, longer and the 5 rings representing the 5 continents isn't represented in anyway by dressage and show jumping in general.
If people want to compete in these things, fine. I'm not saying it isn't a sport, I'm questioning it's inclusion in the olympics.

It's been in the Olympics for 100 years. Now, we can argue whether it is a true sport or not. We can argue about many of the sports. We can argue about whether darts, pool and snooker should be included. Or tiddlywinks. All are real sports with real championships. Golf anyone? Should we even have sports with judges pontificating about artistic merit included?
But surely, the Olympics is about more than just sport. Yes, I love every gold we have won. But I also love the whole spectacle of the thing. It transcends sport; it's about belonging and being part of the whole human race. Hooray Henrys in the dressage; guys from tiny islands in the distance running. Women from Saudi getting knocked out in 1 minute, yet doing more for equality than anyone in the last 50 years. To me, it shows what we can be as a race of people. Different, yet all the same.
Phil

Last edited:
The olympics is a sporting event where the best in the world can compete in their events and can say with conviction that the winner is the best in the world at whatever discipline they compete in.

It also has a medal table so each nation can measure it's avhievement. So it isn't just a show.

We can be sure to a very high degree of certainty that Mo Farrer was the fastest man over 10km in the world on that day. There were people from each continent competing, having each sent they're very best athlete.

I would say the same can be said of all the track and field events.

Dressage and show jumping is so tiny even in England you have wonder why it's there and as the medals carry the same weight is it fair when only very few people and nations take part in it?

Would it be fair if they added Aussie Rules football in 2016? Popular in Australia, not sure it's played anywhere else.
Or maybe we should add Kabadi very popular in India, pretty sure they would clean up the medals.

Philly - you made the point better than I could about the Olympic spirit, thanks.

Well, we just won another gold and bronze:smashin: Is it a bone fide event? Who the hell cares. Team GB have won moire medals.

Phil

Dressage and show jumping is so tiny even in England you have wonder why it's there and as the medals carry the same weight is it fair when only very few people and nations take part in it?

Not sure why you think equestian is "tiny" in England.
It is a hugely popular sport with high number of participants. The British Equestrian Society which is the official governing body of equestrian sports in the UK has 200,000 members. approx 85000 women say they have taken part in organised competitive equestrian events last year. (it is one of only a handful of sports where there are more female competitors than men)

The largest paying audience for a UK sports event is the Badminton Horse trials attracting 250,000 paying attentees on one day.

And there were 55 different nations competing in the equestrian at the Olympics. More than several other sports.

Last edited:
Well, we just won another gold and bronze:smashin: Is it a bone fide event? Who the hell cares. Team GB have won moire medals.

Phil

and the gold medal winner went to a comprehensive school and left at 16 - before anyone says they are all toffs....

and the gold medal winner went to a comprehensive school and left at 16 - before anyone says they are all toffs....

Thanks loz. Actually, I don't care if they are toffs or not. They are representing my country and they have won gold. That's what I love about the Olympics. We have Zara Phillips. And Nicola Adams. Both from completely different backgrounds, yet equal when it comes to medals. And you know what - I bet that either would have been cheering on the other.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited:
Should toffs not be allowed to compete then ? At the other end of the scale is BMX. lets bin that off too !
Is it not about the broadest collection of sports for the broadest selection of People, ie everyone, no matter what your chosen sport

Should toffs not be allowed to compete then ? At the other end of the scale is BMX. lets bin that off too !
Is it not about the broadest collection of sports for the broadest selection of People, ie everyone, no matter what your chosen sport

Yes, absolutely. Some sports are in there for historical reasons, and because they are a spectacle - eg dressage. Some are to cater for 'new' sports which have become massively popular - wind surfing, BMX. And some are in there for old pervs like me. Beach Volleyball.

Phil

I think I've made my opinion clear, and it is just that, an opinion. The IOC (I think) decide which events are in the olympics so until such time as they see sense:devil: I guess it will remain an olympic event.

I can see why dressage is in the Olympics, it does take skill and has a following. I have to say though I find it hilarious watching the horses dance, cracks me up every time. :)

There are several comparisons on youtube. e.g.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom