Dredd 3D Cinema Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by The News Bot, Sep 9, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      This review comes courtesy of our friends at the fantastic Light Cinema in New Brighton.

I am … not The Raid!

Well, it took a very long time to get here, but the leap for Judge Dredd from out of a 2D comic panel to authentic, downright faithful and 3D live-action has very definitely been worth the wait. Although I was as dismayed as any other 2000 AD devotee when Stallone removed the helmet for Danny Cannon back in 1995, I was still quite impressed with how Mega-City One’s super-Judge was handled in what was, you have to admit, a very ambitious gamble for a big tent-pole Hollywood blockbuster. Outside of the devoted, the majority of cinemagoers didn’t have a clue who the character was. Today, anyone found within the pages of even the most obscure short-run comic can be green-lit by a studio for the full cinematic treatment. Even with this being the case, the mood and style and sheer energy that...

Read the full review...

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,469
      I was lucky enough to watch this on its first screening at my local cineworld.
      OMGG! This is the Dredd I've been waiting for, what a film, unashamedly it is what it is, no messing, if you love Dredd you'll lap this film up.
      A couple of things I don't like(spoiler alert) Why would the shutdown be allowed with two Judges inside and Anderson seems to loose her powers just when she could do with them. The first could be explained away but the second jarred a bit for me.
      The only other thing I didn't like was the bike, I like the way they sit on them but the front was awful, a shame but the helmets more than make up for it, bang on! I want one!

One other gripe was the 3D, it was pointless, did very little and in some places annoyed, then my local isn't the best for 3D sadly.

I think the casting was spot on, as you say the lack of a zzzzzz back story is great and the start of the film does an excellent job of introducing the characters, though the real footage wasn't great, understand why they used it but I hat films that use real news footage, it takes me away from the films reality too much. The use of SA as a backdrop was a good idea though again a bit to close to the world as we know it rather than the post apocalyptic world of the comics. I guess as we now live in 2012 its no longer a view of the future but an alternate reality, it did add some grit and worked as well as Gothum in the Batman films and was 100% better than the plastic world of the previous film.
      After the got into the tower I thought it was bang on style wise, exactly how Id transfer the comic into reality though maybe with a bit more neon lol.

Im being really picky though with the above, none of them jar enough to spoil the film, loved the characters, the tower, the way it was shot and the effect off the slo mo, even the name of the drug is bang on 2000AD.
      Loved the judge gear, green boots just wouldn't have worked lol, the armor was effective looking but staying close to the original(that just wouldn't have worked in a film), the gun was fantastic and very faithful to the original in silloet. No double wammy lol but a cool "two way", love the explosive rounds and loved the detail of ammo concern, I like that sort of reality in films.

This is a great setup for a series of films, a day in the life of a Judge, no stupid romance to follow, now traumatic childhood or evil twin to deal with, just a Judge, a Judge feared by those who break the law, who never reveals himself, he simply is the law. Love it and want more please....just with a better bike.:)

Oh and block war, got to have a block war in the next film! :).... and maybe a mad max style trip to mega city2 through scorched earth.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    3. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,698
      Great review Chris!

I have to admit Im partly saying that because you are telling me what I want to hear! ;):D

Im a massive old 2000AD fan (and Dredd of course) so this has become even more of a must-see for me now. :thumbsup:

4. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,698
      The mad max style trip through scorched earth?

You are describing a very famous Dredd story - The Cursed Earth! And yep, that would be fantastic. As would a bigger-budget sequel to that with the Dark Judges - this could be the film to really make money if they did it right...

5. Glenn01

Glenn01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,496
      SOLD .... off to see it this weekend now Chris :smashin:

I was hoping it would be good, but was not expecting it to be THAT good.

6. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,541
      I was off to see Total Recall this week.

I'm not now.

7. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,541
      Having now seen it (your review diverted me away from Total Recall), I wholeheartedly agree with your review. My mate wasn't so impressed, but I sure was. Fantastic, visceral, brutally entertaining stuff that does proper justice to the strip that many of us know & love (Urban's Dredd is uncannily like Esquerra's pen & ink version- although I was more the Ron Smith era).

The only thing I would take issue with in your review is that you are far too forgiving of Danny Cannon's Stallone misfire. That was an awful film; not because it was cheesy, cliche or because stallone removes the helmet. But because it completely misundertood the nature of Dredd's character (and indeed the whole point of the judges)- confusingly and simultaneously portraying him as a petty fascist and some idealistic hero. When he's actually neither.

Dredd 2012 nailed the character and with Urban and his two female co-stars, they knocked it our of the park. I so hope they get a bigger budget next time and explore the Dredd universe further.

8. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,496
      Regardless of how much I loved this rendition, I still have a soft spot for the Stallone version, in my heart. Yeah, they completely **** up the character, but from a pure action and production design viewpoint, I still find much to enjoy in it.

Judge Dredd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>99.9999999% of PG-13 action movies from the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    9. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19,541

I liked it once. The vibrant-looking Mega City, the beefy Lawmasters, the Star-Warsy tech design. But no. I can't get past it. The awful, awful cheesiness, the abrasive 'im an action hero score' soundtrack, the cheering at the end, the embarrasing moral inconsistency. "You'll be alone when you swear to uphold these ideals" Stallone sobs to his cadets. Really? Those 'ideals' consist of blowing up parked cars and arresting people for not being killed. And the old "baddie-about-to-shoot-Dredd-gets-shot-in-the-back-in-the-nick-of-time-by-one-of-his-allies" cliche is re-used at least 80 times.

I'd trade the entire movie just for the squished tramp scene in the new one :).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    10. BRW

BRW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +135
      Fantastic movie, brilliant review (although I too didn't agree about Stallone's version, I cant forgive them for casting rob scneider, or him taking his helmet off -look at the difference it made here)

Just hopes this makes Mega creds at the box office and shows the studios that this is what we want from action movies. Proper violence. Probably not though, whatever money it makes they'll figure it'll make more pg-13. They're probably right too, I'd see a sequel, whatever the rating, which only means more ticket sales from a wider audience. It's no win for adult fans who want decent action.

11. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      Great review again Chris. Superb stuff.

I loved this movie and it is much better then the recent "TOTAL RECALL" remake which was quite possibly the most relentlessly loud film I've ever seen.

Urban is fab and Lena Headey was AWESOME as Mama. Great stuff.

I too quite liked certain aspects of the 1995 Cannon / Stallone version. Namely the production design, costumes, Diane Lane as Hershey, the kick-ass ABC robot, the music and, did I say, Diane Lane...

But... this version is the real REAL Dredd. :thumbsup:

12. shawnduhast

shawnduhast

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +49
      Was not originally going to see this due to not being a fan of comic book adaptions (except for Chris Nolan & Blade 1+2 obviously) and having sat through the stallone version BUT your enthusiasm as ever has changed my mind - thanks again Chris for another excellent review :smashin:

13. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,490
      Watched this today and loved it :D I left the cinema with a huge grin on my face . As to the 3D aspect of the movie which is dividing people I thought it was well done but but only added in the truly awsome slo mo scenes. But it's always great to see a movie not toned down for a wider audience.Would I have loved more of mega city one to right but the budget wouldnt allow it.

And there lies the problem for a sequel for me and there will be one to be sure as it's doing great. We will get a toned down version and everything that made this so special will be lost in a sanitised version for a wider audience.

14. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,571
      Nice review pretty much sums it up for this 2000AD fan & I have seen it twice now & i really enjoyed it, it was simple brutal & just what was needed bravo.

15. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +454
      brilliant film, seen it on the first night at my local
      the 3d worked well for the slo-mo taking but apart from that, meh

look forward to seeing again for sure

16. TJP75

TJP75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +714
      I finally got to see Dredd in 2D (had the 3D option too) down here in Australia as it finally arrived in our cinemas on the 26th of October. I enjoyed the film; the action was fantastic and the cast were excellent especially Urban as Dredd.

If Dredd wasn't mentioned on the October Movies podcast, I wouldn't have bothered to see it & I'm glad I did. The Dredd forum thread has posters stating Dredd is yet to break even and as a result, the film probably wont get a sequel - what a shame if true. Perhaps it'll be a cult classic and find an audience on BluRay and DVD.