Dreamy red berries

electrolyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I entered the competition, April in fact. While I was hanging out my washing this morning I noticed that a tree in my garden is filled with lots of red berries. I thought these would make a good subject and grabbed my new 2nd hand Canon 50D and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and snapped away.

I wanted to take a dreamy sort of shot with some of the berries in focus with most out of focus. The sun was shining strongly directly above berries and I wanted to capture this light too. Hopefully you'll all think I have been successful!

Dreamy red berries by SimonButlerPhotography, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 50D
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture f/1.4
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Taken on August 7, 2011 at 10.03am BST

Processing:

1. In LR3 used the Direct Positive preset
2. Increased the blacks, contrast, added a vignette
3. In PSE9 I boosted the red colour of the berries as they were a little orange
4. High-pass filter sharpened

I dont usually comment on a shot normaly as i dont feel qualified , but here goes , i find the out of focus berries distracting my eye to the main focus point. hope you dont mind the comment. ps i do see were your coming from with the dreamy effect .

Well I'll take an opposite stance on the OOF berries - I like it and think they certainly add to the dreamy effect you were after - only negative for me is the berry colour is more pink than red so I'd have boosted the saturation a bit :)

Jim

I like it , the way the eye is drawn from right to left,(well mine is anyway)
the only downside for me would be maybe there is too much oof on the right of the shot.

Doh! I haven't made a comment here yet :facepalm:
I quite like the out of focus areas on this shot, they truly bring the focus on the other berries out nicely. Well done and good luck in the comp :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom