1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreamvision CinexOne vs Sony W11

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by EMH, Jul 21, 2002.

1. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy the Sony, but the Dreamvision is around 1000£ cheaper. has anyone an opinion on comparing the 2 ?

2. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Check out my review of the Cinexone here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40960

It is a very nice machine, the only reason I haven;t bought one is because I need it to go on the back wall, and the picture is a bit too big. If I can't get a suitable alternative I may still be getting this machine and re-arranging the room!!!!

It really is worth a good look, available for £2750 a very nicely self-contained home-cinema solution.

3. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    P.S.

Of course, you'll get better contrast off the Dreamvision too. and no screen door 'cos it's not LCD.

Regards.

Martin

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 11HT - the screren door is not an issue - unless you are sitting too close - I am about 4 m away. You do not even notice stuck pixels - there are 1 or 2

The picture out of this PJ is astonishing - I have just upgraded to a Tosh SD510e - damn it's good

The only thing to complain about now is not having enough DVD's!

Feccy35

5. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, I don't know what a screendoor is.

I intend to put the projector between 4m and 4m30 from the screen, probably a 2m*2m. Do you think It will be OK ?

6. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

The 'screendoor' is the gaps between the pixels. LCD panels (sony) have far wider gaps between the individual pixels than DLP panel (Dreamvision) therefore you can sometimes see the 'mesh' structure of the pixels making up the picture.

Having said that, the Sony is a WXGA panel (1280 x 768 pixels) and the Dreamvision is XGA (1024 x 768) which means they both have so many pixels that screendoor is unlikely to be an issue.

The distance between proj. and screen is not really an issue. The magic figure is how far from the screen YOU sit. Anything less than 1.5 times the width of the picture (about 3m in your case) and you're likely to start seeing the screendoor though, as I've said, you'll see it on the sony first.

Having said that remember that the sony is a 'wide' panel (that is like a widescreen tv called 16:9) while the dream vision is a normal tv shape (called 4:3)

both have their advantages. Film purists prefer wide panels bacause more pixels get used to make the picture when watching films. Myself. because I still want to watch at least some Tv on the projector don't mind the 4:3 panels that most projectors use.

At the end of the day you pays your money you makes your choice. See both if you can and see which YOU prefer. that's the ONLY advice that is 100% true. everything else is someone elses view.

Personally the improved contrast you'll get of the Dreamvision would sway my vote over the wide panel of the sony. I really want the darkest blacks possible within the budget. and as you've said, the Dream vision is £1000 cheaper. That's a REALLY nice screen, a lot of DVDs or some spare bulbs for the future. (or indeed some of all!!!

Let us know how you get on. It's always nice to know if comments I give are any help or not!!!

Regards,

Martin Jarvis

7. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    In actually think there may be a problem with your plan though!!!

I've just realised.

The Dreamvision is a short throw lens. At 4-4.5 metres you'll get a huge picture, I suspect more than 2m wide even with the zoom at the smallest setting.

I can't speak for the sony as don't know it's throw sizes. You may find you're limited in pj choice just by the size of the picture they give at a set distance.

If you can cieling mount the dreamvision nearer than the back wall (is that your 4-4.5m?) or put it on a table nearer the screen then you won't have a problem.

Have fun!!!!!!:)

Martin

8. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked at Sony's figures, I understand I would have to put the projector at least3.5 m from the screen if I want to get a 2m base 16/9 image (I would seat 4 m from the screen), but I'd be interested to get a 11HT owner's opinion.

I've only seen the 11HT which has impressed me, funnily enough, more than a SIM 300 !!!, so I do agree that it's a question of personnal opinion. Unfortunatly, I hav'nt find yet a place (central London) where I could see the Dreamvision "in action".

I also prefer the 16/9 format (I'm not planning to use it for TV for the moment). Do you mean that the DV cannot project 16/9 images ?

9. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes it can project 16:9 images and makes use of Anamorphic signals, but I don't think it uses ALL it's pixels to do this.

It really is worth a demo as it is visually very impressive but if you've read my review, you'll know it does need a bit of tinkering out of the box.

If to you the sony outperforms the Sim 300 (you do mean the new one don't you, not the older 200?) than i doubt the DV will impress you more, but you'll have to look to know for sure, and as I said, £1000 is a lot of extras!!!

With regards to a demo of the DV ring Lenbrook,(01908 319360 the UK distributor for DV. Or indeed you can get in touch with their rep. direct. he was prepared ot come to the house to show the unit off. I'll pm you his number. I'm hope he won;t mind!!!

Good luck

Regards,

Martin.

10. EMH

EMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you're right : it was a SIM 200DM ... the 300 is really good (but unaffordable)