Dreams

This vid really helped understand what they're getting at.

Creative side is LBP on steroids plus you can start messing around and create mid-level if you fancy and the level creator has permitted it.

I presume there will also be some sort of story mode as well for the less creative among us.

My daughter is very impressed with it. Looks better and more fun than Minecraft she says.

I hope there is a story mode similar to LBP as the only time I ever got creative with that was when I was getting a trophy and it consisted of sticking a start and exit in a level lol.

I think to much freedom can cause boredom.

Media Molecule's 'Dreams' (PS4) sculpts games from your subconscious (Wired UK)

Good article.

This bit jumped out.

But crucially, MM says, their work won't be stuck in their walled garden. Everything players make in Dreams can be exported -- to the game development platform Unity, for instance, or to 3D printers. If this works, Dreams (and the PS4) could instantly become one of the most creative tools in digital arts. If hints at other companion software, perhaps for Apple's iPad, are realised, Dreams might be much more than a video game. Full-length animated movies, for instance, could be created in Dreams -- and MM really hopes that artists will pick up that challenge.

@mediamolecule

‘The Thinker’ - sculpted from scratch in #DreamsPS4 and 3D printed in our studio. #PlayStationPGW

CSfWdTaVAAAt5Lo.jpg

THings like that ^ sound and look amazing, unfortunately I have zero art talent. Although i doubt they would let me 3D print a male/female sexual organ i suppose :)

THings like that ^ sound and look amazing, unfortunately I have zero art talent. Although i doubt they would let me 3D print a male/female sexual organ i suppose :)
A statue of David Cameron? :p

Done a fair bit of industrial 3D printing over the years in my job, and pretty interested in seeing a PS4 program that would allow for creations like that above. Impressed.

Done a fair bit of industrial 3D printing over the years in my job, and pretty interested in seeing a PS4 program that would allow for creations like that above. Impressed.

Reading that Wired article I find myself thinking what have MM created here. It could be huge. The applications beyond a game with loads of user developed content a la LBP are amazing. It could quite literally become a game creation tool in its own right, like RPG maker or such like, but much cheaper. It could become a huge tool for all sorts of 3D modelling applications, the link to Unity, etc is potentially genius.

I'm a coder so the art side passes me by :)

Can see the potential though.

I'm a coder so the art side passes me by :)

Can see the potential though.
I'm an artiste (the french version of artist). Impressionistic, surrealistic, anything with an istic I can do. How that translates to a controller though... I'm not sure.

I'm afraid to say it's still not looking of interest to me personally.

And I loved the 1st LBP when it 1st came out.

Seems to have turned a bit darker and possibly lost some focus, it looks to be dipping into many different gameplay elements. Great if they pull it off though..

Not seen a thread for this yet but Media Molecule - Dreams Early Access was released in a limited way this morning. Gives all the creation tools and tutorials ahead of the full release whenever that may be.
I was looking at some of the closed Beta creations from earlier in the year and some of them are superb.
No VR support in early access but should be in full release. Be interesting to see what people come up with for that.

Anybody else jumped on this one? Sort of surprised that I can't already find a thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom