1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sgt.Colon, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is the correct forum. Please move if not.

Can anyone tell me what ever happened to the Dreamcast?

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    its as dead as julius ceasar mate i thought it wasa hell of a console but obviously not enough people did lol

3. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Silverback.

That didn't last very long did it! :)

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sega's business style killed it basically. Best console for many years interms of quality games. I've bought a couple of spare DC's.

Regards,
    Neil.

5. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why Neil, what did they do wrong?

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    they barely advertised there top games for 1 i can barely remember an advert for any of them an the fact it was up against the ps2.it never had a good footie game either which is a must in a european market if you ask me.

7. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dreamcast stuff can be had at bargain prices now if you look around. I went into my local Game recently and they had an Official Jolt pack for £1.99, brand new. Asked if they had any more and walked out with four packs all for £1.99 each.:eek: :eek:

8. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Sega were very short (terminally short as it turned out) of cash, which crippled their marketing budget and pretty much prevented the DC from ever being a success. The DC was a great console, but it must be pointed out why Sega were short of cash.

1) They spent money developing the 32X for the Megadrive despite the fact that everybody knows peripherals for consoles do not sell.
    2) They spent money developing the MegaCD because they didn't learn their lessons from 1).
    3) The Saturn was a disaster mostly due to the fact it was extremely difficult to develop for and because of Sega's arrogant attitude towards it's third party partners.

Sega were in big financial trouble by the time they launched the DC and they didn't have the muscle to make it a mass-market success.

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are Sega still going or have they gone bump?

10. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Still going, but as a software developer only. They've put out some great games for the GC (like Super Monkey Ball) and the Xbox (JSRF and soon Panzer Dragoon Orta). Maybe the PS2 as well - not sure.

11. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite a shame really. I used to love the Megadrive. Thought their future in the console market would have been secure from sales of this unit alone.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Don't forget they are the biggest arcade games manufacturer in the world, and who goes to the arcades anymore? SEGAWorld was a bad idea :p

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the US when the Dreamcast was released, so I'm not sure if they had different advertising over here. In the US, their brilliant marketing scheme for the most powerful console on the planet was... NOT TO SHOW ANY GAME CLIPS IN THEIR ADVERTS!

:eek:

Still, it was a brilliant console and had some absolutely great games. Definitely a good idea to pick one up for cheap. Plus, there is basically no copy protection on the system, so you can run a bunch of homebrew software and emulators on it.

Sega is better off concentrating on making great games.

14. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not showing game clips, a ploy Sony use because their games look sh*t. Sega should have shown a lot more. Silly buggers. With proper marketing muscle dreamcast should still be alive.

Games are what Sega does best tho, so where they are now can't be a bad thing. I haven't bothered with any of the newer consoles (still love my dreamcast) simply because there aren't any games I want to play. It's mostly mindless rubbish that my PC can already do much better. That's why I like Dreamcast, hordes of original and fun games.

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sega also abandoned the Dreamcast way too early, IMO. The system was barely out before there were rumours that they might be giving up on the console. That kind of thing scares people, and probably cost them a lot of sales. Overall, I think Sega made a good choice in concentrating on hardware, but their timing was a little off.

At next to nothing, I think the DC is still a better deal than the PS2. :D (games look better too)

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DC is indeed a fab console but yeah, the points illustrated by lechacal really did hurt Sega as a global brand. The Sega Saturn created the most pain however, because of its attitude towards gamers (I remember the advert for its WLS game... Basically taunting Sega fans saying "You can't play this game yet" with two fat fingers lifed up at them). Add that to a very scrappy looking system internally that made it very hard to program on and the marketing (what marketing?).... There were other features as well that hurt Sega badly, especially in japan where gamers then turned against them.

When the Dreamcast was released there wasn't any referances to Sega themselves. If you looked at the box you can only see a logo and the words Dreamcast. No mention for the brand Sega at all, which illustrates the pain globally Sega had inflicted during the Saturn era.

Real shame really since many developers at the time supported it (bar EA.. Booo Hisss <g>) and it really was a clean and elegant piece of hardware to work on. If you have a modified Dreamcast then the world of Japanese games is one you should experience IMO. Sure you might not know what the hell is going on but quality is quality and it often shines through.

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, because of the hardware, the Dreamcast was ideal for arcade ports; hence the brilliant versions of Virtual Tennis, Crazy Taxi, and other Sega arcade games.