Dreamcast

2manyconsoles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is playing on theirs now?

I just got a projector and hooked it up via vga to the DC and its rekindled my interest in this great console which I've had since its release.

I'm also looking for new games to play. I have MSR and JSR which I've barely touched (someone tell me how good they are....) also Virtua Tennis 2 which I have struggled with after playing Virtua Tennis due to the changed controls (even completed it, which was no mean feat.)

Others I have are:

Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Shenmue 1 & 2, Giga Wing, Chu Chu Rocket, Toy Racer (great memories of playing that online!) Virtua Striker (rubbish)

Considering picking up bass fishing as its meant to be good, maybe Ready 2 Rumble 2 as I liked the first one, ditto for Crazy Taxi.

I am constantly playin Power Stone 2

Just got a vga lead from Link Sang to connect mine up to the projector. Whats the quality like over rgb scart. Noticable improvement ? I cant set it up yet. The lofts not finished yet god dam it :mad:

I personally like Alien Front Online & Star Lancer. Ready 2 Rumble 2 is great fun. If you want soccer the best title available is Sega Worldwide Soccer Euro edition : )

The VGA box makes a huge difference, the improvement is shocking the first time you see it, especially on something like soul calibur which has slick visuals anyway. You will be blown away by the pic quality, espeically on a big screen.

This sunday was the first time I hooked it to the pj, had a fantastic session of virtua tennis and soul calibur thrashing my brother into a state of despair. Also have my PC running MAME hooked up to it so its gaming bliss.

I had Power Stone 1 but sold it due to frustration! It's amazing how I still love my DC despite recently offloading a PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

I know what you mean. I cant bring myself to get rid of it. Too many good titles that are yet to be bettered on other consoles really.

Why were people buying PS1 when they could of been buying one of these? So many regrets. I just refuse to get rid of it, when it dies I am sure I will but another one !

What projector are you using ? I have heard VGA brings a big improvement if quality cant wait to see it :)

Panasonic PTAE500, I used to use the vga box on a crappy 14 inch olivetti pc monitor, even with that the picture was miles better than on a regular tv with scart.

I never saw anything on the PS2 that bettered the Dreamcast via VGA graphics on Soul Calibur.

Same projector I have :) I cant believe it is still stuck in its box. I have only used it twice, breify :(

I agree. I feel Sould Caliber on the DC is still to be better in terms of playability and graphics to a certain extent.

I will get it hooked up to my 21" PC monitor tonight. I cant wait.....

just got confidential mission to use with the dreamcast gun,pretty good and a bit of change from house of the dead. Anyone know of any other decent gun compatible games?

There are no more decent ones for the DC other than those you have mentioned :(

i play all my nes, master system and mega drive games on it :D
emulated of course
if you have a collection of roms i recommend anyone do the same
all you need is here
http://www.dcemulation.com

Originally posted by ajs2
just got confidential mission to use with the dreamcast gun,pretty good and a bit of change from house of the dead. Anyone know of any other decent gun compatible games?

Virtua Cop 2 is the only other as far as I'm aware, that can either be had on Japanese import or as part of Sega Smash Pack.

ajs2. Yes you are right about Virtua Cop although it isnt anywhere near as good as confidential mission and house of the dead 2.

I have seen another us title that uses the gun. Cant remenber the name but it is crap anyway.

Its worth having the gun for Confidential mission and House of the Dead 2 alone anyway.

is the sega smash pack only available on import? if so whats the best way the make it run on a pal dreamcast?

Utopia is very poor - it isn't compatible with a lot of games and isn't 100% guaranteed to boot every time. I had one and didn't like it at all. DC-X is a huge improvement over Utopia.

Buy a DC-X if you can find one. If you can't then stick with Utopia.

Mmm. Depends what version you have I think. Mine works every time and works with all the games I have.

And its free.

I had a dreamcast but didnt think too much of it, probably because most of the games i had were pants.

Went to look for it a while ago but found my father had thrown it away :rolleyes:

May try and get hold of one to sit next to my snes :thumbsup:

Utopia only plays certain ntsc games in 50hz so borders and slower gameplay for many import titles, unlike DC-X which plays all imports in 60hz so thats what to go for.
As for the DC itself it still remains a stunning console and rates as my joint favourite of all time alongside the Snes.
I play my DC via the blaze VGA cable on my 42inch Hitachi plasma and it's a stunning experience, games like F355,Ikaruga and Zero Gunner 2 look stunning via VGA.
Sadly not all games support VGA or RGB so games like Vampire Chronicles, Super SFII for matching service etc have to be played via s-video, they still look stunning but not quite up to VGA standards.
The DC is a 2d fighting fans dream console, it also boasts sublime games like REZ and Cosmic Smash, it is and will always remain a stunning console which should have and deserved to be a massive sucess.

:thumbsup:

I'm thinking that the DC didn't have a truly killer track-based sports car racing game.

Sega GT handled like a dog with two stupid legs made of plasticine.IMO - still played it to the end tho - what's the alternative?

I've recently made it my mission to aquire every DC racing game and I'm just about there.

Ferrari and LeMans are cool but too sim-like and tedious Also IMO

I think it's ironic that the best driving game on the DC is Bleem! Gran Turismo...(which still rules, BTW)

Before anybody starts screaming M.S.R. - the kudos thing was crap +you know it :cool: The DC is my all time fave console alongside my Megadrive, but I wonder if its lifespan might have been increased by including a decent racer in its line-up.

The best driving game on the DC is Daytonaaaaaaa :smashin: although for some reason i do like Test Drive 6 but i think thats the music video i like. I do agree with what you are saying though, you could say the same for a decent footy game if it had ISS or a Pro Evolution it may have swayed Joe public to go for the DC.
The biggest problem SEGA had with the DC is EA, if they had supported the DC, bringing titles like FIFA and Need For Speed then the DC would certainly have done much better.:

I just re-read my bitter last post and I think I was maybe a bit harsh. I like games like Vanishing Point and Mag Racing and the (soul-less) F1 games, but they all seemed to be missing that vital ingredient that makes you want to play again and again. Just think Saturn Sega Rally!

Games like Speed Devils and M.S.R. are actually pretty cool but dont really make me want to play them through to their conclusion. Then play them again. (Saturn Sega Rally)

I did get my moneys worth out of Daytona, and still play it now, but I hanker for a proper GT type of experience.

I see the same problem befalling the Gamecube: maybe R Racing Evolution will sort that out.Tho the early reviews don't fill me with much hope.

I don't think a lack of driving games were the DC's problem. MSR, F355, Sega Rally2, Daytona, Sega GT, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 (ok not really racers but great car games), ReVolt and Test Drive LeMans were all Top games which stood up well to the PS2 competition. As i've mentioned in a previous post and as someone else has stated above - the lack of the Pro evo games and the failure to get EA and Konami on board were the main culprits.

Unfortunately, whilst the Saturn has a lot of fans, it was rushed out and was technically no match for the PS1, especially when it came to 3D games. Sega lost a lot of credibility in the market place and the top developers were a lot more weary of Sega when the DC came out. The brilliant Dreamcast therefore did not get the support it strongly deserved as Huge names like EA and Konami stayed away from the party waiting for the PS2 to come out.

The general public had also gone Playstation mad and the brand became a household name, which to many meant games console. The failure of the Saturn (and the 32x and Mega CD before it) combined with the amazing success of the Playstation brand meant that the DC was never going to be a hit with the general public or the huge developers, as both were waiting for PS2!

It's a shame it turned out the way it did IMO. I was and am a strong supporter of the DC as I think is stacked with games that simply ouze fun!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom