1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreamcast Good/Bad?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by PJONG, Oct 3, 2001.

1. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having owned a PSone for a number of years (now gathering dust on a shelf) along with a PC I thought'd I'd get myself a PS2. Then I noticed that the DC has tumbled in price due to the impending cease of production by SEGA.

It seems to me that there are still a bunch of quality games for this platform and since I am not as hardcore a gamer as I used to be I wondered if any of you knowledgible people out there would recommend going for the DC? DC plus 4 games etc for under £100 looks like a bargain to me. Opinions please.

Also does the dreamcast have a widscreen mode?

cheers

Phil

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i just recently bought another dreamcast to fill the gap inbetween now and my import xbox and i have to say the games are superb for the dreamcast.i myself can not believe the amount of ps2 that have been sold to be honest the ps2 lineup is poor apart from a few stand out titles.also i bought mine secondhand with virtua tennis spiderman and marc=vel versus capcom all for 50 quid.if you ant a new one game or your local eb is the place.also pirate games require no chipping to play and the last few dreamcast releases look very nice.and last but not least the graphics are pretty similair to the ps2 :D

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my op the games look better on the dreamcast than the ps2
    tony hawks2 is very good on the dc . it's the only thing my brother ever plays

i have never been overly impressed with the ps2 . get a vga cable for it and conect it to a projector and you have somthing realy worth playing

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would highly reccommend it! Go for a US one if you can though, and avoid the PAL slowdown/borders although Sega were pretty good at ensuring most games had 60Hz modes in Europe.

Lots of very good games, I particularly reccomend:

Soul Calibur
    Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio in US)
    Metropolis Street Racer
    Phantasy Star Online
    Virtua Tennis (2 when it comes out)
    Resident Evil Code Veronica
    Shenmue 1 and 2 (if you have lots of spare time anyway)
    Daytona USA

quite a few games have widescreen modes.

wouldn't even bother with pirate stuff when you can get 2nd hand originals for virtually criminal prices from places like Skill in ealing (on 020 8537 8297) or try Computer Exchange Dreamcast list

Cheers

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Yeah, I still play mine ( Which I have had since day one ) and its almost as good ( range of games currently better ) than my PS2 !

Also most games can be pickd up at bargain prices, I got my RE:CV for 4.97 ex-rental from Blockbuster.

I have yet to play some of the BIG games, such as Jet Set Radio and PS:O.

One question I have is this, apparantly you can download the internet dialup software of the net, which can then be copied on to CDR and which will allow you to have 24/7 FREE net usage, which would make Phantasy Star a great play

6. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input chaps, reckon I will go for it.

By the way is the online element worthwhile or is it just a gimmick? I presume the user base is still there, are the servers well populated, are the online games comparable to those available on PC?

Cheers

Phil

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only back up what everyone else has posted about the DC. Out of all my consoles (of which there are many!!) my DC still gets a decent airing... even with our PS2 hooked up to our projector, the DC still remains top for gaming fun. Take a look at Shenmue and Sonic 2 - you would be hard pushed to find a PS2 game as good looking and playable (ie both!) as they are. Sega may well have stopped producing the Dreamcast, but they are dedicated to doing what they do best for the next year or so - brilliant games for the DC! So go buy and enjoy!!

Emma :)

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree dreamcast is a good machine certainly ranks as my third favourite console of all time (1st super nintendo 2nd gameboy advance)although i did have around 40 games you can only play so many and ive kept the following
    tony hawks 2
    soul caliber
    jetset radio
    crazy taxi
    house of dead 2
    silent scope
    virtua tennis

try cex.co.uk for some good dreamcast bargains.
    overall a great machine

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Don't you find it an outrage that the DC failed like it did.

I have had once since I saw Crazy Taxi and it constantly amazes me.

Even when the PS2 came out, I couldn't help noticing that the DC actually looked as good, if not better.

For every PS2 game, there was something as good (or better) on the DC.

Saying that.. Its clear that the PS2 is more powerful than the DC. GT3 clearly shows that. Saying that MSR and F-355 come very close.

But its the lack of decent games on the PS2 which lets it down.

I have a fried who has mod'd his PS2 and has close to 200 games... I regularly ask him to show me something which will make me buy one, and he has yet to show me anything (other than GT3) which remotely impresses me.

I have kept on about the DC to colleagues and friends for ages, but as expected most went out and bought the PS. They just assume that I am baised!

However, last weekend saw the price drop of the PS2, so I decided to buy one.

Whilst you can't help being impressed with GT3, I still have to say that I prefer the feeling that you get with F355.

I can safely say that I am MUCH more impressed with the overal package that the DC offers (i.e price, library of games etc) over the PS2.

Of course, I am glad to have a PS2, but I can't say that I am over impressed.

Its a shame that others can't see the value of the DC. Its got to be the best bargin you can get right now.

You only have to look at F355, Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi to see what an impressive box it is.

10. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    It is an outrage that Dreamcast failed adn it did so due to the hyoe suttounding the PS2. If I had a pound for everyone I heard say, "Dreamcast, nah. I'm waiting for PS2", I would be a happy man. If I then had another pound for all the people who I have now heard say, "I wish I had got a Dreamcast instead of PS2, there are som many great games on it" I would be doubly happy.

They hype machine told us all that the PS2 would be so superior with it's emotion engine CPU and everything, that the non hardcore players were blinded. It was a sad, sad thing that Dreamcast went down. I have 20+ games and they are all games that I can still happily play. I have never owned a console where I have had that many games with that much longevity.

Dreamcast should still be the number one choice for anybody buying a UK console today.

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Damn, if I also had a pound for every error I have just seen in my last post there, I would probably cover my US Gamecube! I really should read back before I hit add reply :D

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJONG,

Not sure about the online thing. There are a few games out there which you can play online (loads have online functionality but not gaming).

Quake III is suposed to be the best for online gaming.

I picked up Shenmue for £20 from MVC. It's on four discs !!! You don't get that kind of VFM with the PS2.

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I've just borrowed(nicked!) my younger brothers DC. I bought it for hime last year after his N64 was stolen when they where burgled. Whilst visiting last weekend, i asked him how he was getting on with his DC. He told me he no longer used it!(he's 13 and has discovered girls etc!).
    So i have it on an "extended" loan.
    I hope to get a X box eventually, but for now i want to use it with my projector.
    The above post says there is a VGA cable for it. Where would i get one of these from?.
    Failing that, do they do a RGB cable?.
    Any suggestions welcome :)

14. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try www.lik-sang.com . They're a Hong Kong company but very reliable and they have every accessory imaginable for the DC.

15. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Whilst Lik-sang are the best for hardware and do things like cables increadibly cheap, with P&P it might not be worth using them for something like a cable. Of course it would be an ideal opertunity to treat yourself to something like a GBA or GameCube :)

There are quite a few places where you can still get RGB cables. Places like Electronic Boutique should still be able to supply this. But I doubt if you will find the VGA cable.

S-Video cables are hard to get, as they stopped making them.. I bought one, and never used it, so if you want to go down the S-Video route I am sure we can come to a deal.

If you can't get the VGA cable, definatly go for RGB.

But, be aware that the DC is unlike any other box with regards to RGB!

It either outputs Composite/S-Video OR RGB.. Not both at the same time.

This is controlled by shorting 2 pins on the AV output. This happens when you plug the cable in and can't be controlled or changed by the user. To change this, you have to break open the cable and move the link!.

So, if you have an RGB SCART cable, but plug the SCART plug into a socket which only support Comp/S-Video, you get nothing. Just a black screen and audio!

To get Composite out, you either have to get a the correct cable (which has the correct short between the right pins), or break the DC end of the cable appart and change the little strap of wire which puts a short on the pins!

This has caused me a HUGE amount of problems, as my TV can split the screen into 2 1/2s.

Trouble is that the right hand side, does not support RGB.. So, to bring my DC up on the right, I had to bodge a switch on the cable, so that I can switch between RGB/Composite!

16. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a shame about the DC but 'cos of it's down fall and the subsequent drop in price of all the games I'm using it more than I did when I originally bought it! :)

I hadn't played with my DC for about a year. Now I'm like a little school kid. I rush into the shops looking for bargins. I recently bought :-

Shenmue 20 quid
    Silent scope 20 quid
    Rayman 15 quid.

3 blinding 90%+ games for little more than the price of one dodgy PS2 game. hahahaha.

I've got my eye on Jet set radio, Sonic Adventure 2 (30 quid but I'm sure it'll drop soon), Quake III (seen for 9quid), Ultimate Fighting Champ (9 quid) and lots more. The last time I was this excited about games was when I had my C64.

Bishman, try the edit functionality. On everyone of my posts it says at the bottom "edited by Justin...." where I've corrected all my mistakes.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: JUS ]

18. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I am thinking of getting a DC as well but what is the advantage of an american dreamcast anyway? Will i have any problems playing uk games?

Thanks.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't have any troubles if you get the boot disc, which makes your DC universally compatible, if you have a CD burner simply download it from DCEmulation.com.

Hope that helps!

20. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Too late!

Couldn't resist and went out and bought the UK machine instead for £100, complete with 3 games and memory card thing.

Thanks for replying anyway.

By the way, does this boot disc mean that I can import games on my UK machine?

21. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup eventually got round to picking up a DC, I got the same deal, MSR/Jet Set Radio/Virtua Fighter 3 and VMU all for a £100 (though not that fussed about VF3).

I also picked up Crazy Taxi with Virtua Tennis for £30 and I have to say that I am very impressed, only played MSR and VT so far but playability is excellent, graphics pretty good too.

Next on the list Tony Hawks 2, Shenmue and Codename Veronica (assuming I can find them in stock at a decent price, becoming a bit of a trial finding some titles).

Thanks all

Phil

22. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yeah I want to get CT and VT as well.

One other thing, does anyone know if the offical DC scart cable suppots RGB?

Thanks

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Scart does do RGB - passes through my DVD player fine.

Also Sonic games are always good.

We missed Sonic 2 for £20

24. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I never really thought about it before, but I have a few DC games which I never play and would sell if anyone wants them. All in immaculate condition.

From memory I have Crazy Taxi, F1, Sonic 1 and Rayman

Offers please!

Jon

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just completed Shenmue if you want to buy it off me for £15. It's only about 3 weeks old. I played it every possible moment.

My heart says keep it 'cos I could play it for ages. My 3 year old daughter wants a daddy though !