Dreambox? Please Help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by VAMOS DAN, Sep 7, 2007.

1. VAMOS DAN

VAMOS DAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi, im not very well knowledged in this area but a friend has some of these units and they sound too good to be true so just looking for some advice.

I have been offered 1 of these by my mate, he told me that they connect to his braodband and he picks up all the sky channels (He is on cable btw)

Now....I currently have sky, and was thinking of getting multiroom subscription for my room but if these things can pick up all the sky channels then surely this is a better option.

After reading up i am abit worried about the amount of times i have come across ''dish'', would i need to buy a new dish aswell!? if so then this would probably put me off. Or do they run through the internet

I have a broadband connection (ethernet) in my room, so this is why this unit sounded so good

Any help is much appreciated

Dan

2. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The only way the Dreambox can receive "..all Sky channels.." (and many European satellite providers) is with illegal software (in the case of cable) or with illegal card sharing with satellite which is why an ethernet connection is required.
    Effectively you are sharing your card and, at the same time, sharing someone else's paid for subscription.
    I may be wrong but card sharing discussions are probably banned on this (as well as many other) forums.

I should add that the Dreambox can use an official card if certain 'images' are loaded on it and that is perfectly legal as an official card is being used, however I doubt that many are used this way

3. VAMOS DAN

VAMOS DAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    so basically it isnt worth it for me, i dont have cable. & the card sharing sounds dodgy. So basically i wouldnt get any channels rite?

4. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    To receive Sky subscription channels on a Dreambox by satellite you need either

* A valid Sky subscription card and the correct image loaded on the Dreambox so that the channels are unscrambled and the card receives/accepts updates

OR

* Have the Dreambox connected by ethernet, join a card sharing group most of which require you to have a valid subscription to a package (not necessarily Sky) or pay a monthly/yearly fee.

As pointed out earlier this is illegal and the only way your friend can have all the cable channels without paying is, again, with illegal software