Dreambox 800hd hard disk setup hard disk option help please

schrungo

Established Member
Reaction score
hello guys
sorry newbie alert here.
i have samsung 160 gb hard disk and fitted it to my dreambox, my problem is in setup for initialization there is no hard disk option in the menu, this has got me worried,i hope that i have not bought a faulty disk.
but as i say, novice to all this.
any suggestions please.
would be welcome

TIA

no HDD, this is what i have- systems> av settings,language,customize,time zone,key/b,osd,display setup,network,timeshift,video fine tune and skin.
motor is spinning when connected.

i have tried a few other things.
first i fitted it to my laptop, thinking to just right click and select format as an alternative o dreambox initialize, but just got something about not finding operating a system,borrowed a hard disk adapter from a friend and connected the drive to the laptop, interesting that it identified that it was a samsung and type, i could see it in device manager but the drive did not show in my computer as it should.
i suppose that means that the drive is faulty, but i am puzzled that it showed in device manager,and the motor spins.

Didn't you try formatting it from the Device Manager?
If it wasn't formatted My Computer couldn't recognise it.

Last edited:
logiciel
done all the wife's chores (i think) back to important things.
formatting from device management did not work, i also did a google and tried computer management >storage>disk management > that came up with > disk 0 my cdrive, disk 1> not initialized>rt clicked to initialize disk that came up with vertual disk manager >the device is not ready.
its not looking too good.

WB.:)
It looks like you've done all you can if it won't let you do either a quick or a normal format in DM.
Why not just return the drive to the supplier for a replacement - not so easy at the moment - or refund?
Logi

Every image i have ever used on a DM800 or any E2 linux sat receiver the Hard Disk setup has always been in the following

Menu > Setup > System and you will find it about the 4th or 5th option down

digicon would it be correct to assume that hard disc option would only appear if a hard disc was connected?
i have just tried the last thing, that was to fit the disc to my notebook, and with a win 2000 disc in the drive and noting that the very first option in the bios is the optical drive, and that failed to kick it giving a no operating system. so will be getting in touch with the supplier tomorrow, might even refer him to this thread if he gets awkward.
i am still a novice but a bit less so after what i have learned here
thanks everyone
would still like to know the answer to question raised in first sentence if someone could answer, thanks

No the option is there all the time if a hard drive is installed or not, The option is there for you to mount and format the drive for the linux operating system any windows computer will not see the drive afterwards

will be getting in touch with the supplier tomorrow, might even refer him to this thread if he gets awkward.
You've bought something that doesn't work, so the seller has nothing to be awkward about and you can have your money back or a replacement.

rewind
i now think that the hard disk was ok, why? that last try with windows 2000 would be doomed to failure, because as i now understand win xp will not install on a sata drive without a special driver, so obviously win 2000 install would not work, being older.
today i found out (sony does not have a win 7 disk with my vaio ) i could create a recovery disk, so i did and it did install on the hard disk when swapped, i could then see the disk F in windows explore and the format in disk management (albeit only quick and not full) the recovery win 7 creates a recovery partition on the hd so i have to find out how to just have i partition for formatting .
so the disk is ok, what is int ok is that i still have no hard disk option on the d/box setup menu.
do you guys know how to put this right i don't want to mess it all up, wouldn't like to watch only terrestrial tv at Christmas. i got this disk so we could have a record option at Christmas, not big setback if i cant.
btw whats the biggest capacity drive that the d/box will handle? bit late to ask this question after i had bought.

Last edited:
hi Dorame,
did you work out how to install your hard drive into your dm800hd.
could you tell me how to do
Thanks

No dppp123. the thread just petered out, it would be great to get it sorted, do you have the same problem i did?

Tell us or remind us what the problems are.

I am working on it. When I sort it i will let you know

Tell us or remind us what the problems are.

logiciel
Its at the beginning of the thread
wink.gif

I dont know if dppp123 having exactly the same problem, I had given it up as unsolvable.

no HDD, this is what i have- systems> av settings,language,customize,time zone,key/b,osd,display setup,network,timeshift,video fine tune and skin.
motor is spinning when connected.
Hi on my dm8000 its menu button on remote,setup,then system,then hard disk. Dont know if its the same on your dm800hd

hi jeh this is what i see on my
"system "
a/v settings
language
customize
keyboard
osd
display setup
network
timeshift
timeshift path
video fine tuning
skin
(in that order)

hi jeh this is what i see on my
"system "
a/v settings
language
customize
keyboard
osd
display setup
network
timeshift
timeshift path
video fine tuning
skin
(in that order)

What image have you got?Also when you connected the sata cable it should have recognized their was a hard disk present in the menu

Hi jeh 1968
I just noticed that i started this thread last year Dec, reason being i wanted to set up recorder for Christmas, so an amazing coincidence its alive again a year on, thanks to dpp and yourself.
Last year i removed the disc drive from the receiver, and I have forgotten where i stored the fixing screws that came with the kit, they are needed if i am to refit the disc in the receiver to see if recognized,but i seam to recollect that it wasn't, but have to refit to confirm. hope they turn up.
The image type i believe is
kernel linus 2.6.12.5.1-brc
image:2008.12.28
enigma:2008.12.28
white box in window with Gpe logo and gemini project

when reboot have logo on galactic background screen.

bought me some new screws, refitted drive, confirmed drive not seen in setup>system

bought me some new screws, refitted drive, confirmed drive not seen in setup>system

Is it a clone or genuine dreambox? I would try to re flash the image or flash a new image.

hi jeh1968
t
That was question that I put to the fellow that supplied installed and set up my box, he said it was genuine as he paid full wack, and he said he trusted his supplier.
about putting on new software, I would be bothered to the extent that if anything went wrong it may be impossible to get in touch with this guy again, I tried a few times and he may have gone back to eastern europe.
on balanced I would prefer to put up with the problem of not having a h/d installed if there was a risk of lousing what I have now, as I know of nobody else who could to put it right.

Put the HD in a NAS enclosure and access it via your network.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom