• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

dreambox 800

bob1

See HERE for a list of places not to buy one.
That site doesn't have them in stock at the moment, you should be aware that some of these boxes come from china so there will be no warranty from dream and may not be usable with some software.

Last edited:

RobinDB

I was looking at the dreambox but it does not have a HDMI interface so you would have to do a DVI to HDMI conversion with a lead but then you would have to run an optical cable to an amp to get the sound.

Fine for films but not normal TV.

So now have been looking at the darkside HD box super 2008.

Anyone else used one of these ?

Robin..

lovelldr

Don't worry about the audio, it all comes out through the dvi-hdmi cable... Working fine this end no probs, and I don't have an amp... :)

BTW, cheapest place for a dm800 at the mo would probably be the official distributors of the dm800 here. Currently £399+ £10 p&p iirc...

Last edited:

RobinDB

Interesting you say this.

I have on my apple macbook pro computer a DVI-I dual link standard connector.

I did hook this up to my TV via a DVI to HDMI lead, I get video but no sound on TV.

From everything I have read about DVI it is NOT audio compatible in the slightest.

It is ONLY video that is transmitted.

Are you sure you do not have another lead as well ?

thanks

Last edited:

rcaudwell

Generally DVI doesn`t carry sound, but the DVI to HDMI lead that comes with the DM800 definately does carry sound, I think it`s a custom lead.

lovelldr

It's not a custom lead, as I'm current using a gold plated dvi-hdmi cable I bought ages ago, which is a bit longer than the one which came with the dm800. All dvi cables can carry audio through them, but it has to be wired in a way which tells the cable to carry the audio. A bit like scart, you can remove the non necessary pins if you really wanted to. Dvi has the pins which carry audio, which in most cases hasn't been wired up (such as laptops, computers etc). In the dm800, the dvi port on the back has the audio wired into the port. Hence, the dvi cable can carry this audio.

jakey

AFAIK the audio isn't carried over any extra pins, the audio is carried in the video blanking intervals. To all intents and puposes technically the 800 DVI is HDMI spec with a DVI connector. Done this way I expect to avoid HDMI licencing and and stupid HDCP requirements.

I have a DVI to HDMI adapter permanently connected to mine so I can use my existing HDMI cable that was already in place.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom