1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream-Vision Revolution One Plasma screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stu, Apr 29, 2002.

1. stu

stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone got any views on the Dream-Vision Revolution One plasma? Esp any comparisons with Panasonic's TH-42PW4?

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I could only find a USA website with any details on the Rev1, and it was missing the brightness and contrast information.

Very often plasma's from the less well known sources tend to use previous generation technology, the missing details would have helped confirm if that was the case here.

The Panasonic represents current state-of-the-art for 42" plasma's and only the very best of the current generation can come close or equal it so if the Rev1 is based on previous generation technology then it will not be in the same league.

Do demo one first, if you can't see it in action and compare it to the Panasonic then don't buy it. No matter how cheap it may be, it will be an expensive purchase if the picture quality turns out to be a dissapointment.

Mark

3. stu

stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark - thanks for your reply. I've actually seen one next to the Panny, and its actually pretty impressive. Similar price, with built in DVI socket, and the picture ain't far from the Panny either. Stand/bracket included in cost. Wanted to see if anyone new about build quality/ tech back-up/warranty etc of Dream-Vision. Haven't found any reviews yet, but did a google search too. Know it is a French Company, something to do with NAD, which sounds promising. Would be grateful if anyone has any info

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Try and get the brightness and contrast figures from the place you saw it being demo'd, it would help determine who's glass they have used.

Mark

Edit : Found the website, www.dreamvision.net ,contrast ratio is 750:1 so although it is not up to the current claimed levels of the Panasonic and Pioneer it isn't at all bad either.

Read some of the reviews on the web site and the French magazines seemed to like it. They commented that it offered good access to color controls for calibration which sounds good.

5. stu

stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Mark - had been struggling with the French language to work out what was being said. Had managed to find the translate button for most of the site but couldn't seem to get the review to translate. Hmm..tricky decision

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    As ever though, since the reviews are on the makers web site I guess they would all be positive :)

I'll do a little research and figure out who's glass they are using.

Mark

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Best guess based on available info is that it is using the previous model to the current Nec 42" glass, the NEC 42MP2.

The published contrast ratio is a bit higher than the older NEC, but not as high as the current NEC model, but the other features and the native resoulution do match so it looks like the probable source for the glass.

Given that RCA/Thompson also use NEC glass it does increase the probability that Dream are doing it as well.

Dream list it as a Class A device which means that it is not intended for home use, but frankly many people use Class A devices in the home environment without suffering RF / EMI problems, have not heard of any specific experience with this particular panel though.

Mark

8. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one on spec at what looked like a great price (£3.5k) a few months ago. Tried it with 3 DVD players using the notorious Matrix R2 and Gladiator R2. It had great difficulty with contrast (500:1) and the brightness was poor (250 cd/m2). Pastels and blacks were very bad almost blocks of two or three shades!

It has gone back costing me a restocking fee!!:mad:

I have since tried the Matrix R2 scene 6 the interogation in the cell scene on 6-7 different panels. I am convinced the source and interconnect quality play a big part!

I am now watch for a good deal on a TH42 or Fuji 4229/4242 to go with my recently aquired Denon DV2800 hacked for multi region and PAL progressive scan.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!