1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream Vision Cinexone Review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maj74, Jul 6, 2002.

1. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Greetings all,

Right i'll get right down to it. Had a chap from Lenbrook UK at the house today to demo the Cinexone pj form Dream vision.

XGA DLP 1000Lum 750:1 contrast. (all these figures claimed of course!)

1st impression: damn these things are getting small!! 22cm by 18cm by 8cm.

The only annoyance from today was that someone had nicked the component to VGA cable from his bag!! so the best we could make do with was S-Video, fed form my Sony DVP-7700 Player. No doubt the component inputs will bring about the relevant improvement to all these comments!!

So what was it like?

Well.... initial thoughts after switch on...... pretty poor..played a few disks and was not impressed...so you know how it is... you start fiddling in the menus.

The colour settings were so saturated it was screwing up the brightness and contrast settings. Turn the colour down to -42 and it's like a new machine.

You can then sort out the contrast and brightness to get a really quite impressive picture.

Being the middle of the day I couldn't get a complete blackout in the room, but the 'blacks' produced looked reasonable, certainly better than the Panny AE100, but so they should be with dlp and at twice the price.

Rainbows... yes they're there. First time I've seen them on a pj. But I have to look for them. If I stop pretending to be a hyperactive tennis spectator and actually just sit and WATCH THE FILM they're not an issue.

My other concern was the de-interalcer/scaler. Dream Vision had told me it was an ARCE chip but didn't seem to be able to tell me anything about what it could do... Which I guess means not much...

Having said that you can't really complain...sure the Faroujda in the Sim2 machines and the like give you a smoother picture, but at a hell of a price difference. I really couldn't say that there were any jagged edges or artefacts making themselves obvious and I was very pleasently surprised at this.
    The only real gripe was solarization. I believe that's the term when you get graduated shades of colour that band rather than appear smooth. I suspect that the s-video (or composite, I tried both, no change) was to blame and Mark the demo man suspected this was also true. He shall be trying the component to VGA input when he retrieves the cable next week and I will update these comments when I get some feedback as to whether the component deals with this problem.

It's got a fairly short throw lens again. Those of us like me who actually WANT to put their projector on the wall at the back of the room out of the way are finding it difficult to find machines that don;'t give you a picture the size of a footbal pitch. But it was just in my limits. It means that 4:3 TV will have to be really big instead of going in the middle of the 16:9 height by zooming down that I was hoping to do.

Halo around the panel was nothing worth griping about. Sure, more expensive machines can do better but that's one of the reasons why they're more expensive!

So there we go. I think that's covered most of the points that people normally ask about machines. I thought it would be nice to throw another machine into the melting pot that is this forum and see what people made of it!

I don't know if I'll get one... there's that little issue of solarization to take care of and it would be nice if I could get a slightly smaller picture. (How often do you hear that!!!) I still want to see an NEC LT 150Z in operation as I think that's the only other serious choice at the moment. If anyone actually knows where you can see one in East Anglia (or near by) then let me know!!!!

If anyone wants to know anything else they can ask, and I'll answer if I know!!!!

Cheers

2. Edward Greatrex

Edward Greatrex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the price now set at £3100 or is there room for improvement?

3. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think it depends on how flexible the dealer you go to is. You don't actually buy from Lenbrook itself. Give them a ring (number on www.lenbrook.co.uk and ask for the nearest shop they supply. (Lenbrook do NAD so if you have a dealer near you who does NAD it may deal with Lenbrook)

Alternatively there are advert on Loot for a chap who supplies the Cinexone new for about £2750.

4. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    bump

5. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    bump

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    maj: Are you bumping this to the top for some reason? Is there a question you need answered?

Gordon