Dreadful SVideo output from Radeon 9600

J

jsmurray

I tried my GeForce4 MX 440 card with SVideo out to an LCD tv with SVideo in and the picture was dreadful.
I read up on the posts, and decided to buy a Radeon 9600 instead.
The picture is just as bad as it was on the GeForce.

Am I missing something here? I have my HTPC plugged into the VGA of my plasma. I want to dual display out the SVideo port so I can distribute the video around the house.

Is anybody actually using SVideo output from their HTPC?

dreadful with what exactly? dvds? or desktop images?

if its the later, then yes - it will be dreadful. if you want any kind of decent picture with desktop images then you NEED a VGA or DVI connection. If its the former, well then i really don't know. You need to go into a little more detail there.

DVD will also look bad, first you are deinterlacing and upscaling and then downsclaing/reinterlacing. It's going to look rubbish. This is where something like the xcard has an advantage, DVD goes straight out as svideo with no major conversion going on.

Before I look into even more spend on an XCard, I am genuinely interested to see who else is using SVid out to a normal telly, and what they think.
I'm not averse to throwing money at the problem if that's the only remedy, but I thought one of the reasons these Radeon's were recommended was due to the svid capabilities.

I'm actually very surprised how bad they both were.

turn the flicker filter off, enable overscan

Originally posted by jsmurray
Before I look into even more spend on an XCard, I am genuinely interested to see who else is using SVid out to a normal telly, and what they think.
I'm not averse to throwing money at the problem if that's the only remedy, but I thought one of the reasons these Radeon's were recommended was due to the svid capabilities.

I'm actually very surprised how bad they both were.
Yet still you havn't actually told us what is wrong. Unless you tell us we can't help you.

Quite right. Sorry.

I am using MS MCE to watch TV. I 'thought' that the picture would be comparable to, say a tivo. The picture quality is very poor in that it the colors don't blend nicely, the images aren't very sharp etc.

Are you using SVideo to a PAL tv James? If so, how does yours compare to natural TV viewing?

Maybe my expectations are just too high.

i couldnt compare mine directly to normal t.v viewing since i dont use my pc for that, but generally its been quite good. Dvd's are passable, if a little colourless, but most of that can be sorted out with some fine tweaking.

I'm not the best person to ask about that though - my pc is only really used for gaming and playing music. Plenty of other people will be able to help you there though:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom