1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drc vs pixel plus

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by luv ya jen, May 18, 2003.

1. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    orde a sony kd nx36" tv from techtronics but they have run out of stock so ive been looking at a 36" pixel plus, ive heard that the philips pp isnt really so good with games so as i will be using it mainly for sky,dvd,x box would i be better waiting for the sony

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the games part,p+ really isn't so good for anything!I own one and never use p+ mode.Hang on for the drc until it's back in stock.Remember you'll have this t.v a lot longer than any wait you may have for delivery.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I saw Pixel+ being demoed - I thought it was horrible:thumbsdow

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    luv ya jen

I would avoid the pixel plus and have a look at the jvc 32d25 which is really good but only 32 inch are made. The pixel plus was my original choice as I loved the dvd playback which is very nice. But the salesman are tricky and play a dvd which doesnt have any shimmering around moviing objects and the vertical lines problems. Ive seen both on these sets. The jvc has none of these problems and should be great for games as it is 75 hz. Also had the salesman play the same dvd player movie on P+ and jvc and the jvc had colours that did not bleed at all. Also you have progressive scan ntsc and pal on the jvc which is miles better than the picture of the interlaced.

But if you dont get the jvc wait for the sony!

why pay all that money and get shimmering (people are write on this forum).

5. Jamiethorpe

Jamiethorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Pixel Plus set (32PW9617) and like other posters had to turn this feature off. The 'ready break' halo effect was just too irritating on ALL feeds (NTL digi-box & DVD especially).
    Eventually the set went back due to the infamous black bars problem and was swapped for a Sony FQ80.

The DRC on my SONY is far more impressive than PP+.
    Picture quality is stunning and I'm absolutely delighted with my new set and would deffo recommend this over the Philps.

HTH.
    Jamie.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience I would avoid the pixel plus, due to the halo effect/smearing etc. etc.

.... and of course the dark bars!

The philips sets seemed to have developed a buzzing as well. My last one buzzed quite loudly. I was speaking to Comet engineer when he came to collect last set and he said that they were collecting a lot of philips tv's. He gave me the impression that there were more buzzing sets than dark bar sets!

Dont know if the new philips models have this problem tho.

Cant comment on the Sony DRC, I went for the straight 100Hz FQ70 model.

Regards

PaulJ :p

7. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +609
    I have had both and found DRC was spot on, once I had made my adjustments to contrast etc... I never had to touch it again. With P+ I fiddled with it for one week and then turned it of for good (P+ Created a totally unatural image), the only use I could see for P+ was viewing JPEGS from my Digital Camera.

mij

8. Sgt_Solo

Sgt_Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth checking out the new Philips 32PW9308 or 36PW9308 they both have new Pixel Plus Movie Modes. I've seen it in action and couldn't see any shimmer, although I wasn't in the store long. IMHO I think the Philips PQ is better than the Sony's or Tosh's (but thats a personal preference, I find the Sony a little soft on detail). I managed to see all 3 sets alongside each other and the Philips stood out in PQ terms.

Pixel Plus is sometimes awesome, and sometimes awful, go have a look and see what you think !

If you watch a lot of DVD's then I'd go Philips, if you watch a lot of Sport then dont....

:)

9. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I cant see why everyones overlooked the jvc DIST technology!!!! Its either sony or phillips mostly. First of all Ive seen both the fq80 and the philips P+ models. Before I saw the jvc I thought the phillips was awesome on dvd playback. But after reading this forum and noticing even in the shop the dark bars although faint, and the shimmering it wasnt the way to go. The sony looks very sharp but correct me if Im wrong but it is much more than the jvc about 300 more. Also it has no progressive scan which is a great feature. I saw yesterday a movie called " equilibrium" on an ntsc 1 disk and the quality and clarity blew me away on the pro scan.

MY point is people seem to have implanted in their heads Sony and Phillips without checking out the rest!