1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRC - is it on?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by castle, Jan 22, 2003.

1. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 32NX100 and it gives me the option of choosing to use:

DRC 100, DRC 50 and 'normal' 100Hz.

My question is that with the exception of of DRC 50 (which flickers), I can't tell the difference between the other two.

I like to think that I have a very discerning eye for picture quality and sharpness, but having read about how great DRC - MF is and that it effectively doubles resolution, I would have expected to see a difference.

Am I being picky, or should I notice the change and there is a problem with my set (either DRC is always on, or it's always set to plain 100hz).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

DRC100 is not a resolution-enhancing technology. That's DRC50 (and I agree - flicker is way too much on PAL).

What DRC100 does is stabilise the picture - more of a motion-smoothing effect. You won't see greater detail in this mode, but the pictures should be rock-solid (in most instances). The best way to tell the plain 100Hz mode form the DRC one is to look at high-contrast images, such as graphics in financial news programs (the scrolling stock info on Bloomberg or BBC NEWS24 is a good example) and information services. In 100hz mode, the outlines shimmer slightly, in DRC100 they are stable, with solid lines.

DRC100 is best for PAL DVD's, IMHO, while DRC50 works best with NTSC movies (where the refresh rate is easier on the eye @60Hz).

Cheers,

Moory

3. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply - and this may be my fault for not being specific enough - but I thought DRC - MF (not 100 - Sorry) was supposed to visibly increase picture resolution, not just stabilise the image. At least that's what I've read.

Regards

4. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes DRC 100 does increase "resolution" but only in one plane. I think it is horizontally. the 50 mode does it both horizontally and vertically. I'll check on my 36NX200 tonight to see if I can notice a difference between DRC 100 and regular 100.

5. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Forgive me, Mark, if I misunderstood the question, but DRC-MF just stands for Digital Reality Creation - Multi-Function. The 'MF' bit is just referring to the fact that there are 2 modes - the DRC50 and DRC100 - that's all.

Picture resolution is visibly 'enhanced' in DRC50 as lines are doubled, but DRC100 is different in that line resolution is the same, i.e. you won't get a pseudo-High Definition picture (if that's what you were led to believe by Sony's hype), just increased stability, with no perceptible flicker.

Hope I've explained that better..

Moory:)

6. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alim,

That's right. It's the horizontal resolution enhancement that gives the added stabitlity to the picture.

Moory

7. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG]

"DRC 100 uses a field-doubling technology that maintains 625 vertical interlaced scanning lines for PAL signals but increases the horizontal pixels to 1440. It is ideal for viewing still images from digital cameras and videos, and text and multimedia from televisions connected to Web-enabled terminals. The result is smooth moving images and stable, flicker-free still images which are more gentle to your eyes. "

8. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yellowcows - many thanks for your extended informative reply, and er, I , er, may have been slightly taken in by Sony's claims!

<blush>

Alim - I'd be very interested in your opinion of the difference between the two 100hz modes on offer so please post your impression.

btw, how does your nx200 differ from my nx100?

9. lgirus

lgirus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I understood correctly DRC-50 results almost a Pal PS picture.

10. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from styling, screen size and the memory stick slot I don't think there is very much difference. I can't remember if the NX100 had the scrolling bar issue but my new tv doesn't. I think the sound might be a bit better on the NX200 and there are a couple of features such as Digital Noise Reduction and Vertical Picture Stabaliser.

11. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't see any obvious difference between DRC 100 and 100 either while watching "No Going Back" last night.

12. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for checking, glad it's not just my eyes.

If that option really does change anything, you have to wonder if DRC makes any difference.

I also checked the 50 mode, following info I learned on this page yesterday that it is supposed to double both horizontal and verticl res, again, other than flicker, I couldn't tell the difference on my Toy Story R1 disc.

13. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Igirus - No, not exactly.

Pal PS (I take it you mean Progressive?) is a picture where the information is made up of full frames (as in film) instead of interlaced, alternating fields (as in regular TV images).

DRC 50 increases line resolution, but the picture is still interlaced. In other words, the pictures are drawn line by line from left to right, instead of all at once (which is the case with progressive scan).

14. lgirus

lgirus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YellowCows

I know thats why I wrote only almost.

I mean If the DRC-50 doubles the vertical resolution too ( number of rows) it has to display twice as much rows for a cycle as are in a half frame, so finally in case of PAL 625 rows for a cycle.

Progressive scan is not the method you wrote: display everything at once. Think of CRT monitors they are usually progressive displays, however the still draw pictures line by line, but not in interlaced mode rather than one full frame for one cycle.

I have not seen a PAL PS display yet, but I think if you set a Sony TV to DRC-50 mode you will get the fieeling how PAL PS look like in therms of flickering. Of coure the picrure quality is not soo good since in case of PS every line based on real picture data whereas with the DRC-50 every second line is only an interpolated line.

bye